main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V Clone Wars Continuity Discussion (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by sabarte, May 12, 2008.

1. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    Going for the unpopular opinion, I'd be glad if they used their last minutes to not just have some arc about that guy Clovis that I had actually forgotten about already and that would really need good Anakin/Obi-Wan moments to work. I'd be more than happy if the Sifo Dyas mess was finally made into something that made a bit of sense. I'm not talking about the Grievous creation bit (which is superfluos anyway seeing how TCW wouldn't openly state that the "Grievous made himself" version was just delusion, and Grievous obviously never was a good Jedi killer in TCW's universe). I'm talking about that clone order bit which never made sense ever since it was backpedaled from the "Sidious plays them all" concept. And Luceno can write about it in oh so many overlong explanatory dialogues or plot hole filler page collections, but it's still a pretty dumb story extrapolated from a huge hole in the AOTC script. Now, if (and I'm aware this is an if) they have a good concept for those episodes, for what they find out about Sifo Dyas having crashed on the way back from Kamino or whatever this is, I'll see this as important episodes that are a good parting point for the series. Not just more of Anakin being jealous of an ex-boyfriend of Padmé that you can instantly forget about as much as Padmé did.

Also, Order 66 will be rewritten from Traviss' version. Remember that interview that made everybody boo at Witwer?

2. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

instantdeath likes this.
  3. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    And within twenty seconds, doubt is expressed over whether he's actually deceased. Practically immediately, someone thinks he didn't die...

4. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    Yeah, I actually wasn't aware there were people who actually thought Trench was dead.

General Immodet likes this.
  5. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    We're complaining about Dave Filoni! We don't have time for logic!

Zorrixor and Random Comments like this.
  6. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Honestly it would take a lot to force a deletion of anything that been written about Order 66 at this point. It is simply too easy to imply that the whole deal varied from clone to clone, based upon upbringing, failed programing, genetic flaws or alteration, differences in external or internal training, the Force, whatever.

My issue with Witwer is that he is so sure that the issue is just black and white, that there is no room for nuance to the situation. Despite the name of the novel, Order 66 didn't deal directly with clones executing that order. Instead a handful of Arc's & Commando's, bred to be different from the basic clones.

The closest it gets to showing a basic clone disobeying the order is with Levet, but even his appearance is really ambiguous. He shows up post Order 66 talking about how he is not proud of himself and that something snapped. It could read a number of different ways. Maybe he did leave when Order 66 went down of his own free will, maybe he executed Order 66 as ordered and felt bad about it after the fact(maybe thats what the 'snapping' was?). Maybe it was programmed, and it worked, and Levet realized this after the fact.

Also the idea that Lucas & Filoni were going to turn Rex into a Jedi murdering killer seems like a stretch to me.;) Which is where the whole idea of nuance comes into play in terms of the TV show.

Esg likes this.
  7. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    This. I don't have any idea what it is in the EU as it is. The clones have been genetically modified, trained from birth and there is the contingency order 66 that is only used by the Chancellor. I vote all of these together.

8. Grand Admiral Crumb

Grand Admiral Crumb Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 25, 2013
    It has to be a secret order, or don't you think the Jedi would have found it and mentioned how it has vastly different qualifications than any other contingency orders? I think the official contingency orders only went up to 65 and 66 or whatever is beyond that were some sort of super secret plan instituted from the very beginning. Obviously not programming like a droid, but programming in the sense that it was something they knew of in their subconsciousness. If it's just a subconscious order, that allows for the majority of the clones to follow it but still for some aberrations based on different experiences.

9. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
  10. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    When Starkiller dies a horrible, horrible, long overdue death, I may start to care what Witwer has to say. :p

[There would be a meme image here, but all those that fit also contain an F bomb :p]

11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I would not watch a Trench arc if I were tied to a chair in front of my TV, for a couple of reasons: one, for ****'s sake, let dead characters stay dead. Just once. And two, I hate spiders. I mean I REALLY hate spiders.

We already had a Boba Fett arc: Death Trap, R2 Come Home and Lethal Trackdown. "Mace Windu: my name is Boba Fett. You killed my father. Prepare to die." Yeah, yeah, enough already.

I've been looking forward to Anakin beating the crap out of Clovis since I first heard about it, and the Order 66 arc will be interesting if done well, so I'm hoping for those.

Esg likes this.
  12. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I don't mind Trench coming back because A) the creators clearly always intended to do so, B) it reduces TCW's villain-of-the-week factor, and C) it establishes him as valuable enough for the CIS to give half a **** about keeping him alive, which is clearly not common among Sep leadership.

13. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012
    The order 66 arc is the Trench arc...

14. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Wait, the clones were genetically programmed to kill Trench?

I never thought of that :p

15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Do what? What does Spider Dude Who Creeps Out Anakinfan have to do with Sifo-Dyas, Kamino or Order 66?

*sigh*. I'm not saying it won't happen, it just already seems like they're doing it wrong.

16. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012
    The Sifo-Dyas arc probably isn't the trench arc.
    The arc with the trench clip is the "order 66" arc. When the clone kills the Jedi lady.

17. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Maybe the Emperor also does not like Spiders... he did enslave Ando. [face_thinking]

18. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Yeah but lets not pretend this guy is Durge or something. It's not like Admiral Griff is still alive and his situation was just as impossible to survive

19. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    As far as I'm concerned, they can bring Trench back to life as many times as they want, as long as they don't bring back Oppo Rancisis... and then kill him.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  20. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    Trench - clone killing Jedi - Order 66 - creation of the clone army - Sifo-Dyas. Oh, and Clovis. Find the word that doesn't fit the pattern and stick it into the second bonus arc.

The Umbara arc showed Oppo loyal to his general, leading the 501st in watching Rex and the advance troops getting killed. Episode 3 showed Oppo loyal to his general, marching the 501st into the Jedi Temple to kill younglings. I think nuance might not have been what Lucas & Filoni had in store for Rex, and Umbara really made me interested in how Rex's story was going to end, but now we won't get to see that, will we.

Other than that - of course EU can nuance the hell out of everything TCW and all literature authors do. I simply wouldn't expect the TCW team to actively encourage nuanced theories once they explained the concept of Order 66 as intended but not clearly spelled out by Lucas in Episode 3.

21. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    You think this is bad, wait until you find out about a certain trench that survived the destruction of the Death Star in Episode IV.

22. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Trench survived the destruction of both Eclipse's and Byss

23. Grand Admiral Crumb

Grand Admiral Crumb Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 25, 2013
    Speaking of Eclipse. If we're to believe Forces of Corruption, the first one was hanging around all the way back at 1 ABY. So if it took them that long to build the first one, how long did it take to build the second? I'm also willing to dismiss Forces of Corruption as infinities. I find the idea that there's this crime lord on par with Xizor at the same time, but we've never heard of him in any other material. Also, Urai Fen is a bit too unbelievable for me.

24. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I was under the impression that construction began on both Eclipses at the same time- one at Byss, the other at Kuat.

25. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Correct. FoC is not infinities -- the DESB talks about the half-completed prototype being removed from Kuat and jumping towards the Deep Core after Endor. This dovetails nicely with the ship's presence at Kuat during the time period of the game.