main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion How should the Big 3 be first presented on screen?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by QsAssistant, May 1, 2013.

1. QsAssistant

QsAssistant Jedi Master star 3

Apr 13, 2011
    I tried doing a search for this but couldn't find a discussion on it.

How should we first see Luke, Leia, and Han on the screen? Should it be made out to be a big deal, as we haven't seen them in years, or should they come onto the screen as though they are just characters of the story?
    An example of a 'big deal' could be a face being blocked out of a shot for a few moments building up anticipation of seeing our hero for the first time in a long time, just before they start kicking butt and taking names. Almost like the moments just before we see Mace turn on his lightsaber for the first time.

Episode Swag likes this.
  2. Minez01

Minez01 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 12, 2005
    I imagine Han Solo's introduction may well be something like this. A dark figure obscured by shadow in some back alley where you can't see his face etc. Mainly because he's likely to be the most popular of the big 3. Luke and Leia, not really sure about.

3. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Thin, if you go by a lot of the comments on this board.

4. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    My idea: Build it up. Introduce the new cast *whether it be heroes or villains* first and have them mention a couple of times about how epic Luke Skywalker became but nobody has seen him in years. Eventually it will lead to some big epic reveal of the OT cast that will make us all go crazy *like Luke saves the new hero from a side villain or what not*. Much better than a simple introduction of them standing around talking. Might as well introduce them epicly than just "Hi..remember us?"

5. BarkingFrog

BarkingFrog Jedi Master star 2

Jan 4, 2009
    Luke needs a Ben Kenobi lifting-the-hood moment.

6. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Introduced Han Solo like James Bond was introduced in Skyfall. The camera pans down and the Millennium Falcon zooms past. In the cockpit, it is empty and eerily quiet until the door slides open and a figure enters, his face obscured by shadows. He steps forward into the light to reveal Han Solo. He jumps into his seat as Chewbacca enters the cockpit. He looks out the cockpit window as the first laser blasts reach the old pirate ship and they fly directly toward an enormous space battle. It would be an epic ripoff! :p

TheManFromMortis likes this.
  7. Buddha Fett

Buddha Fett Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 1999
    I hope it's done like this (the bit with the hat and shadows)...best beloved-character reveal ever. =D=

8. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Fangasm.

9. Jimstarwarsfan

Jimstarwarsfan Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 30, 2012
    If i got you correctly, i still think it's kinda annoying that a lot of fans speculate that the role or roles will be minor almost like they wont be seen and also as annoying i feel so many really want to get them out the way as soon as possible. Maybe the big surprise will be that one or more get a lot of screen time. the fact here is that no one knows nothing about what we will get yet. I really hope they get loads of screen time, wont bother me in the slightest. These characters are some of my earliest memories. It will be great to see them again and this time it will definitely feel like star wars again. I ain't bashing the PT, I just did'nt like it all that much to be honest. Sorry[face_dunno]

Jedirush2112 likes this.
  10. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Dont reveal them all at once, give each a classic moment... Han with Chewie, Leia with them but being revealed either just before or after, Luke in Jedi Master moment, Droids together (will gladly subsitute R2 with Luke and 3PO with Leia though), Lando in a respectable role.

Maybe mix up one build up reveal, so they all dont become cliched... Like having Han talking to Leia on the Falcon's pilot seat but when the camera pans to the copilot seat reveal R2 sitting in it being used as a holocommunicator for a long distance talk and have 3PO start interupting their moment... like always. Then have Chewie walk in and be like get out of my seat R2. Not trying to sell that, just saying mixing a reveal from the expected helps keeps the suspence buildup for the others reveals.

11. Jedirush2112

Jedirush2112 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2013
    The Millenium Falcon jumps out of Hyperspace and Instantly you fine Han and Leia arguing about their destination. Leia: "Why don't you get better coordinates net time?" Han: "If you weren't my wife, I would leave you on the nearest asteroid." Leia: "Oh, don't let that stop you, you bloaded Nerf Herder!" Han: "Who's Bloaded? Chewie, set her down!" Chewie: "Arrrrrg" Han: "No not the Falcon, Her!"

:p

markdeez33 and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  12. Jedirush2112

Apr 10, 2013
    Agreed, It would be interesting if there were someone kneeled before him as he sits dressed all in black in a rotating high chair looking out a large window at space like Sidious in Return of the Jedi. Like that you don't know if he's good or evil when Introduced.

13. Jedirush2112

Apr 10, 2013
    Great idea! Have Luke slash a couple of bad guys in the darkness, Where all you can see is a shadowy figure and a Light Sabre. Then after the new cast member recognize him and exclaim; "Master Skywalker!" Reveal Luke by removing his dark hood and saying in a serious tone: "Move quickly padawans, there will be many more arriving!"

=P~

14. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Have them dressed in bear outfits. They all come running up to the screen and take off their masks.

15. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Have them aboard the Mill Falcon..........

16. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001

A lot of the speculation going around is that the next generation of the Solo/Skywalker clan will be the main focus. Some people, including me, don't want the ST to just be a big "reunion special" of the Big 3. Anytime I want to see them I can just pop in the OT DVDs. If I had to choose between seeing them or their kids I would choose their kids in a heartbeat. I'd love to see the Big 3 again, but only if it's in the best interest of the story and not just over glorified fanservice. If they had to Disney could easily exclude them with a throw away line like Indy's dad in the newest Indiana Jones movie.

As for revealing them in Episode VII, I say just bring them in ASAP. I'm sure Disney will hype them all they can when the advertising blitz begins.

Darth Claire likes this.
  17. Darth Claire

Dec 21, 2012
    Totally agree.....though something tells me they'll do the recent trend of having your villain be the main *or at least MAJOR* advertising point *like what they did with Cumberbatch, the batman villains,mandarin, ect*. IDK...I just gots this feeling

18. ForceJumpAnakin

ForceJumpAnakin Force Ghost star 4

Dec 24, 2006
    The first scene should be them mimicking the Office Space printer destruction scene, music and all. Instead of a printer, they're going to beat up the door controls that never listened to them.

19. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    True, people do love a great villain. If I could only see one thing from Episode VII, excluding any trailers, before the release it'd have to be a frontal, full body photo of the new bad guy in full make-up and costume.

20. Darth Claire

Dec 21, 2012
    And since this is JJ Abrams he's totally gunna hype up that dude/chick and drive us crazy with theories. Is he Palpatine/his apprentice? Is he new? Is he from the EU? Is he plagueis? Is he somehow related to the skywalkers? ect ect ect. Its going to be a mad house here with all the theories we will have.

21. Jedirush2112

Apr 10, 2013
    I really don't want to see Palpatine, he gone as of ROTJ. I would rather see a new bad guy: someone along the lines of Tyber Zann’s and the Zann Consortium. After the destruction of the Death Star II, Tyber and his forces assaulted the Eclipse over Kuat; he is joined by the Rebel Alliance fleet who want to destroy the Eclipse, but he boards it and uses it to repel both Imperial and Rebel forces. Shortly the Eclipse super-laser malfunctions, and the Imperial Super Star Destroyer Annihilator arrives with a massive fleet to recapture it. Consortium forces repel the attack, and eventually defeat the fleet; he then uses the Eclipse’s computer to track the Emperor’s vaults, before abandoning the ship. Meanwhile, Silri uses a Sith artifact to locate an ancient Sith army frozen in carbonite; the story ends with Silri piloting a Consortium shuttle to an unknown world, and uncovering the Sith army. The army itself seems to be from Revan’s infinite army in Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, making it over 4,000 years old.

This to me sounds very interesting.
    [face_praying]

22. QsAssistant

QsAssistant Jedi Master star 3

Apr 13, 2011
    If that's from a book/comic it's probably not going to happen. The story is going to be original. Sounds decent though.

23. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Han and Leia should be having a picnic near the waterfalls on Naboo and talking creepy pillow talk & politics.

That would certainly teach any haters a lesson they won't soon forget.

24. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Especially if they mention how annoying sand is.

This is probably the most likely scenario.

25. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Honestly, Luke's entrance in ROTJ is gonna be tough to beat.