main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Yoda's look at Palpatine in Episode II

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Carbon1985, Apr 25, 2013.

1. DukeW

DukeW Jedi Youngling

May 2, 2013
    To me, this scene and others with Yoda & Sidious really illustrate how so many opportunities were lost for their character development.

IMO Yoda was one of the most (if not the most) complex characters in the series. In many ways the PT is in essence about his failure. I would have loved to see more interaction between him and Sidious - the ideological similarities, differences, strengths and weakness fleshed out a bit more.

2. Darth Dominikkus

Darth Dominikkus Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2013
    I agree with you about him being so complex. I love the mystery behind him; his knowledge, strength, and position on everything is so mysterious and leaves for so much room to develop our own thoughts about Yoda.

3. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    The "look" given by Yoda at that point was after the exchange between Yoda and Palpatine about the war and the Dark Side. That simple question and answer ("Master Yoda, do you really think it will come to war?" "The Dark Side clouds everything. Hard to see the future is.") revealed so much about Palpatine's power and Yoda's own inferiority more than any lightsaber duel. If Yoda felt odd about anything, it would have been then. Still, the look was the kind of look one gives someone who is not talking and looking at him. Palpatine was engaging Padme.

Sitara and Arawn_Fenn like this.
  4. MRCynical

MRCynical Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 7, 2008
    Which is why I'm more worried about the possibility of a Yoda spinoff film than about the Sequel Trilogy (and I'm not a particular fan of Yaddle). The mystery of Yoda is the whole basis of his character. If that gets taken away then he's diminished, which he shouldn't be.

5. Darth Dominikkus

Apr 5, 2013
    I highly doubt that Yoda will be in the sequels, or that a spinoff will be made. He's an irreplaceable character, Disney would be stupid to throw another character similar to him in there.

6. Sitara

Sitara Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2001
    It might be great to see another member of the species who was a Dark Sider though. A Darth Yoda if you will.

I also wish we had seen Yaddle in action. I think the only reason we didn't is the cost and time of animating her. Animating Yoda in AOTC took up a lot of resources.

Dredalus likes this.
  7. OldSchoolFan

OldSchoolFan Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 6, 2013
    I think Palpatine owed Yoda a substantial sum of money he borrowed for a second hand car and Yoda thought, ''we've been here for ages and he's never even mentioned the loan, he'd better get it payed or I'm going start flinging red guards about!!!!''

8. themetresgained

themetresgained Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2013
    I don't know if Yoda was quite perceptive enough to think that Palpatine might be a darksider. I think he was definitely suspicious of Palpy, and had some sense that he might have ulterior motives, but he probably would have chalked it up to being a politician. I think the Jedi were pretty sceptical that a large number of Force-sensitives could escape the testing regime of the Republic, much less one of them growing up to become Supreme bloody Chancellor. IMO it's hubris.

9. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    How is one person a large number?

10. themetresgained

Feb 23, 2013
    Well there are obviously others: Anakin, for example, and Darth Maul. If three people are established in one film, I think it's fair to think that the Jedi were confident that they'd kept track of most of the Force-sensitives in the galaxy, and regardless, if the Sith are extinct one untrained Force-sensitive couldn't do much damage. Hence hubris.

11. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I suspect people like Cosinga Palpatine the elder might have ways of getting around the Republic's midichlorian-testing regime.

12. themetresgained

Feb 23, 2013
    Fair enough. I haven't read any of Palpatine's backstory so I can't comment on that.

13. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    A single clause in a single sentence qualifies as "overthinking"?

I guess you missed the idea that Yoda is a wise character, all the allusions to veiling and suspicion in AOTC, and the enterprise of movie-making -- certainly, films of this scale and complexity -- such as it is: every shot is thought about and slaved over.

Oh, this specific character shot of Yoda -- yes, his stink-eye glance -- was also used on both the original theatrical poster for AOTC *and* on the "prequel trilogy" Blu-ray box art, so Lucasfilm (and, presumably, George Lucas) has affixed some significance to this look, I'd say.

14. Darth Liberatus

Darth Liberatus Jedi Padawan star 1

May 13, 2013
    I think the Jedi were suspicious of Palpatine all along. Remember when Mace said 'the dark side of the Force surrounds the chancellor' in ROTS before learning Sidious's identity.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  15. Darth Dominikkus

Apr 5, 2013
    This is true. I think the Jedi were more thinking that the dark side was just in the senate and the politic more than anything, and since the Chancellor was the head of it all, he was an easy first target.

16. Darth Liberatus

Darth Liberatus Jedi Padawan star 1

May 13, 2013
    Yeah, pretty much this. Some Jedi may have had mild suspicions that Palpatine was the Sith lord, but for the most part they probably just attributed it to the corruption of politics.

Dredalus likes this.
  17. Darth Dominikkus

Apr 5, 2013
    With Anakin being the "chosen one" and the prophesy possibly being complete, there was just so much going on for the council to keep track of.

18. Sitara

Sitara Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2001
    I really wish they had thought this through better. Like, way way better.

I mean, why not just test all senators for midis? Or at least, the top tier ones, the ones making all the decisions. Like Sidious.

Second, why not have Sidious followed, just to check if he goes into any secret lairs, or dresses up in black robes. Jedi are masters of infiltration and stealth. Surely they could have done it. Or use sattelite tracking...you telling me they can build massive spaceships but not ultra high zoomable google earth?

Third, and last, why the heck not just search the dude. You know, just in case he has a lightsaber up his sleeve. :rolleyes:

19. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Palpatine may have a falsified midichlorian count on record somehow.

20. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I think the Clone Wars comics had midi-chlorian testing mentioned as something that was proposed- but rejected by the Senate thanks to Palpatine's machinations.

21. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    Any invasion of privacy or surveillance of the Supreme Chancellor would have been deemed an act of treason.

22. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    Didn't even make it to the Senate, Palpatine had the Jedi who was considering it killed. Rohnar Kim was his name I believe.

23. jc1138

jc1138 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 16, 2004
    The Jedi are not in any sort of position to demand such a test, nor, frankly, should they be. To demand the senators of the Galactic Republic to undergo testing has far-reaching consequences, many Senators would refuse, causing potential rifts in the Republic/ more systems to the CIS, etc. For example, say random Senator X shows a high midiclorian count. Senator X may feel threatened, and not trust the Jedi in keeping away from their children. Senator X then refuses to take the test, does someone force her to? Do you see where this is leading?

Nothing against you, we should look at things squarely and examine potential flaws, but I get a little tired of "they didn't think this through."

24. Ahsoka_Tano_11

Ahsoka_Tano_11 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 30, 2013
    I think that Yoda was suspicious of Palps, but had no evidence against him, so he stayed quiet. He probably also had an idea of what was happening between Anakin and Padme.