main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Force Ghost Anakin (Hayden Christensen)

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by TheBBP, May 1, 2013.

1. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    I would prefer not to see any of the old force ghosts. If there has to be one, let it be Yoda

2. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    It's not so much that the ST has to connect to the PT or the OT. It has to connect to the rest of the saga. Do you want a 9 part saga, or a 6 part saga and a tacked on bonus?

3. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I definitely think Anakin should have a major role in the ST. I want this trilogy to be an essential part of the story told in the previous six films and not just an epilogue. IMO you can't do that without Anakin. If he is in it he absolutely should be played by Hayden.

EDIT: You Ninja'd me, Seagoat!

Seagoat likes this.
  4. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    I don't know if I agree that Anakin must appear or not (truly), but this sentence is brilliant.

Seagoat likes this.
  5. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    Yeah but does having a cameo by a PT actor really mean its totally connected? Take a look at the marvel universe, they reference eachother and you can get a feel its in the same universe but they usually dont resort to tons of cameos/fan service. As long as it feels like its a connection/not a add on then does seeing these chararacters physicly matter that much? IDK...I'm just saying a PT cameo is not NEEDED. Cute yes but not totally necessary to the connectivity *is that word?* to the rest of the series. IDK.

Hydro spanner Celt likes this.
  6. BarkingFrog

BarkingFrog Jedi Master star 2

Jan 4, 2009
    Hayden isn't exactly Ewan McGregor when it comes to beard growing skill:

[​IMG]

7. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    The fact that a character from the PT, or even the OT appears is irrelevant. The fact that a core character, if not THE core character of the SAGA may appear is what matters.

8. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    IDK...just something feels weird about it. I guess its just that I dont feel Hayden can do it but who knows. I just doubt it will happen *or if it does probably not in episode 7. That episode should be more focused on introducing the characters/conflicts/villain/ect then afterwards they can focus on the cameos after thats all said and done.*

9. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    That's my thinking as well. In fact, I'll come right out and say it - I'm not a fan of Hayden Christensen or his performance as Anakin. I personally do not want to see him come into play for the ST. I agree that connecting more to the OT is the way to go at this point, especially since it will be a direct continuation of those films.

As for the whole Force ghost thing in general, I think it's overrated. Why not have Luke be the wise sage offering the advice instead of having him turn to the past? I'm sure I don't have the most popular opinion in this thread, but it is what it is.

10. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    If it was just a small cameo for Anakin to say hi or give some information to Luke I wouldn't care for that. But I think Anakin should be an essential element of the story being told in the ST and thus have his inclusion mean something.

Seagoat likes this.
  11. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    Remember, George Lucas wrote the stories for these sequels. We all know how important Anakin is to him. Regardless of our opinions of it, remember that it's very likely for him to appear, or at least be referenced for certain.

Darth_Pevra and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  12. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    I agree with this 100%

13. Son of a Bith

Feb 28, 2013
    [​IMG]

BarkingFrog likes this.
  14. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    From what we know, the films will supposedly be based off of Lucas' original story treatments. How much they actually borrow and translate onto the big screen is yet to be seen. And if they are using his original treatments, you have to remember that they come from a time when Luke Skywalker was indeed the core character of Star Wars, not Anakin. So really, who knows which direction they'll take at this point.

Hitchhiking-Ghost likes this.
  15. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    Lucas did the heavily lifting on those treatments recently, as part of his deal with Disney. They are pretty new. Now, a lot can change from treatment to screenplay to filming. So, it's true the end product may not be the same. But we aren't talking about something Lucas dusted off a shelf from 1977 either

16. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    If that were the case, then the ST we're getting would be about the continuing romance between Luke and Leia, the two Death Stars orbiting the Imperial Capital, the Emperor appearing for the first time in Episode IX, and Luke's unknown sister appearing in Episode VIII. I'm fairly certain that these treatments are updated for the SW we have now. How much they borrow from Lucas's original ideas... that, we'll never know.

17. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    Again, Lucas worked on these treatments recently, after he started talking to Disney.

18. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Yoda? Yoda?????? There is no way to go with this character. He already had his arc.

At least Anakin has a couple reasons to be in the movie.
    1) We don't really know who he is now. He's a good guy, but how much of Vaders personality remains?
    2) He is Sith & Empire & Dark Side expert par excellence
    3) He is part of the Skywalkers family legacy

What reason does Yoda have to be in the movie? Cuteness? Funnyness? That's not really much.

19. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    Lol sorry, I didn't see your post right above mine <_<

20. Son of a Bith

Feb 28, 2013
  21. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    I did have this idea before... what if in VII, there's a scene where Luke and Anakin are talking about what to do, possibly with the new threat, and Luke is looking for guidance, then he can mention something like "Too bad Ben and Yoda aren't here." Like maybe because they were faithful Jedi, their ghosts moved on and became one with the Force, but because of Anakin's dark deeds throughout life, he is not allowed to move on yet.

Stupid idea? Plausible?

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  22. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    As I said, I prefer there to be none of the old Ghosts. If there has to be one, Yoda makes the most sense to me as Luke's main teacher. Perhaps to help Luke through a decision that he is struggling with or through something very painful like the death of friend/family . I prefer for Luke to be the wise old Jedi mentor without any force ghosts at all.

23. Son of a Bith

Feb 28, 2013
    The Adventures of Vader in Force Limbo!

;)

I think two's a crowd when it comes to the force ghosts.

This short scene aside, of course.

[​IMG]

It might be cool and trippy, but I think in the end it would just clutter the story and direct attention away from the hypothetical new protagonists.

That doesn't mean it couldn't be pulled off, I suppose.

edit: Hayden/Anakin looks pretty sly/cunning in that 2nd screenshot.

2nd edit [EU related]: I think I like Zahn's take on force ghosts - it's not something that's easy to do on the part of the spirit, and the force only allows it for a short time before the spirit has to inevitably move on to whatever comes next.

Interesting tangential thought: thinking about ghosts makes me wonder what time is like for ghost Obi-Wan. For all we know, each appearance to Luke happened in instant succession from Obi-Wan's point of view.

I've fallen down the rabbit hole and I can't get out.

24. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Captain Tom Coughlin
    But Luke shouldn't need Yodas sage advice anymore! That's what the entire OT was about, Luke growing as Jedi and eventually surpassing his master. Don't want to see Luke phone calling Yoda because he doesn't know what to do.

Phone calling dad is better because here Luke is the wise one and Anakin, well, lets say he would stand lower in Jedi hierarchy. It would be more "Anakin proving his worth" instead of "Anakin teaching the youngster".

25. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    See, now I really don't want to see Anakin at all.

As to the sage advice, it would be more leaning on the shoulder of an old friend than it would be about Luke needing to learn a lesson. More like the help of an old friend in how to deal with pain or emotion. No matter how wise Luke is, he would still be human.