main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Retcons

Discussion in 'Literature' started by General Immodet, May 2, 2013.

1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Problem is- the enormousness of the Gorax (and the ability of Ewok gliders to glide with the weight of an Ewok and some heavy rocks) points to low gravity. Even Saxton admits this:

http://www.theforce.net/swtc/orbs.html

Light gravity may also be necessary to justify other evidence in Return of the Jedi, particularly the ability of rebel heroes to fall many metres from an ewok trap without breaking any bones, and the ability of an ewok combat glider to carry not only an adult ewok but also a load of rocks heavy enough to annoy an AT-ST. The enormous size of the Endorian trees and dangerous mega-fauna is directly attributed to the low gravity [The Illustrated Star Wars Universe].

2. VanishingReality

VanishingReality Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2013
    Force Unleashed 2 is the first thing I’d retcon.

I know I'm only supposed to list only one... but...

Anything with OOC Vader. And OOC emperor (Like Dark Empire for example).

I’d also retcon Kyp’s survival in JAT. I think his death would have had more impact. Since Star Wars tries to have the moral- that using the dark side/super-weapons to defeat your enemies- is in fact a bad thing.

3. GrandMasterKatarn

GrandMasterKatarn Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 8, 2008
    Retcon Away:
    DNT/LOFT/MF/FOTJ/Mercy Kill/Crucible - there's nothing worth saving in there, not even Allston's junk
    TOR: Revan - this treated every character like a bad joke and had no plot
    TOR: Annihilation - same as above, but on a much larger scale and the final annihilation of Drew Karpyshyn's career as a writer
    TOR: Fatal Alliance - just god-awful and painful to read, the Yuuzhan Vong would love it
    TOR MMO - with the exception of the Imperial Agent's storyline, the rest of it can go and I wouldn't miss it
    Dark Empire Trilogy - Luke falls to the dark side...(?) just...just no
    TCW - wrecked continuity left, right, and center...needs to go (this includes Karen Miller's "novels")
    JAT - what story? there was a story in this bland, 1st grader prose?
    Darth Bane Trilogy - it tried to kill Jedi vs. Sith
    The Force Unleashed - 8 hours of my life that I'll never get back...and I really want them back
    The Force Unleashed II - 4 hours of beating my head against a wall would be more entertaining

4. TychoCorde

TychoCorde Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 3, 2012
    So you like nothing in the EU?

5. GrandMasterKatarn

GrandMasterKatarn Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 8, 2008
    Everything I didn't mention is what I'd keep in continuity because I love them. The listed bits are what I'd throw away as they're beyond saving.

6. TychoCorde

TychoCorde Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 3, 2012
    I know what you're saying. Most of the stuff you listed I agree with. I do enjoy some of it too though.

7. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    you guys i think General Immodet was asking for like, one specific thing that you would retcon if you could only pick one thing, not like how you would alter the entire EU to suit your personal tastes

anyway i would retcon it so that Ali Tarrak is Sev'rance Tann's daughter.

8. Grand Admiral Crumb

Grand Admiral Crumb Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 25, 2013
    I would get rid of stupid names like Savage Opress. That sounds like a third grader came up with it.

spicer, Riven_JTAC and Arawn_Fenn like this.
  9. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    You know what? If I had to choose one thing that would still have a big impact, it would be to reduce the focus on the Skywalker/Solo Clan and introduce and expand on more characters into the mythos. (Seriously, why the hell does Ben Skywalker not have a YJK series of some kind?)

GrandMasterKatarn likes this.
  10. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    That is what I meant, indeed!
    Just retconning whole novels/games/episodes out of existence is too easy and it will not be approved by every fan.
    A lot of fans do not like FOTJ, but what if the series is your favourite book series?
    The whole purpose of retconning is making several EU sources fit into one another and smoothening the transition between them.
    Just doing aways with things does not solve anything.
    Thank you for pointing it out to the others, Trip!

11. SiouxFan

SiouxFan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 6, 2012
    Ummm....wouldn't that be putting MORE focus on the Solo/Skywalker clan?

I'd retcon Chewie's death and make it so that Luke died. ***ducks thrown items***
    Here me out...if they'd killed Luke like was the original plan, we would have been all so shocked and overwhelmed that they wouldn't have had to kill off Anakin and Mara and Jacen and Alema and.... all of these stupid deaths would've stopped with one.

12. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    Not necessarily, because besides actually fleshing out the personalities of Jacen and Jaina, the Young Jedi Knights series also gave us Zekk, Lowbacca, Tenel Ka, and Raynar Thul, characters that have gone on to hold very important roles in later years.

13. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    I would retcon the PT's droid army out of existence...replace it with Separatist clones and/or regular soldiers. The droids in the PT are nothing like how droids were portrayed in the OT, and it raises the question of why the whole galaxy doesn't just use droids for combat. I don't care what Lama Su (or whoever that Kaminoan was) said, there's no way that breeding clones and sending them to fight is a better option if legions of expendable battle droids are a viable option.

Also, I'd retcon TIE Fighters/Bombers/Interceptors to have shields. Even cheap "bargain" starfighters ought to have some durability or you won't have much of a fighting force left after a few battles.

14. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 19, 2003
    My retcon would be that the genetic template/host for the clone army would not have been the bounty hunter Jango Fett but a Lepi bounty hunter named Jaxon who--apart from his pay, which was considerable--demanded only one thing: an unaltered clone of himself which he named "Jaxxon".

15. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Maybe that's the upcoming Sifo-Dyas story, which will reveal the TCW concept art of a dead Lepi wasn't Jaxxon, but Jaxon.

16. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    JAXXON! JAXXON IS A LEPI!

Mutant alien clone and not a Seppie!

COMPNOR likes this.
  17. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    Even Piell's death in Coruscant Nights 1 to being another Jedi.

18. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    One retcon I would certainly approve of:
    The Admiral who is talking to Xandel Carivus in the last issues of CE2 has to be Pellaeon!

Gamiel likes this.
  19. Parnesius

Parnesius Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 8, 2012
    jSarek and Rogue_Follower like this.
  20. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I would retcon away the Yuuzhan Vong, mostly because, to me, they symbolise what's wrong with the modern EU or at least its "start to grimness"

And if this still don't stop Jacon from falling I would retcon that he always have some kind of dangerous animal by his side

I like this idea

21. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    TOR - The fans were asking for a real KOTOR 3 and I have no idea why they didn't give it to us. I bet they would have made way more money that way even if TOR was a success (which is not; maybe not a failure but not a success either). Also the novels and comics with it.
    TFU I and II - The first one was fun to play, but the more I look at the story the more it feels forced to me. TFU II...why?
    TCW - because of a lot of reasons, like Ashoka, Dooku vs Anakin duel of the week, Darth Maul returns, Savage Opress (seriously? what were they thinking?), etc etc...
    Dark Empire - I know a lot of people like it, but I can't see whats so special about it. The Emperor is alive through clones? Luke goes to the dark side? And whats with the new death star wannabe super weapons? It feels a bit cheesy to me.

22. BootlegVader

BootlegVader Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2004
    I would retcon Jacen in LOTF into an actual effective villain instead of punk who also seemed to get his butt handed to him.