main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Comic Book Character Draft ReduX [Ed: That's #10 for those keeping score]

Discussion in 'Community' started by EmpireForever, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Hokage_Kalar

Hokage_Kalar Jedi Master star 4

May 13, 2009
    My trump wins right? Can't find anything on Ronan's TP resistance.

I said the SAME THING at the beginning Mika and voted against the double win for that reason. In fact I said this would happen at the start of the draft... double wins is dumb, if double forfeits happen they happen... move on.

2. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    Because you've got to make rules! Rules are what keep society together!

I don't really care. I'm just trying to be the most fair to everyone, while also punishing everyone equally and discouraging the use of preps. The more complicated the better.

3. Hokage_Kalar

May 13, 2009
    You mean discouraging trumps... which hasn't happened...

4. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    Yeah, there are more trumps in this draft than any other I have seen.

Hell I am only using one trump and have been in double forfeit situations twice already.

Want to discourage trumps then penalize the GM who uses more trumps.

Otherwise just make it nice and fair and call it a draw and move on, no need to complicate things.

5. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    At this point, I think draw/nobody wins is only option. Until next draft.

Mikaboshi likes this.
  6. Mikaboshi

Jul 12, 2005
    I like that option even in the next draft. Knowing that you won't get a cheap win out of a double forfeit situation may reduce the odds of excessive trump use, that seems to be why we are seeing stupid overpowered trumps in this draft.

7. Hokage_Kalar

May 13, 2009
    I agree, mainly because it allows me to say I told you so...

Ronan Vs. Cable/Domino/Comet (prepared)
    Superman Vs. Mr. Majestic (prepared)
    Horseface Vs. Captain Marvel/Ganthet

8. Axle-Starweilder

Axle-Starweilder Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 6, 2005
    trumps are crazy in this draft, that's for sure. but i still think that this draft, even with these powered up dudes, would play out just fine if we allow for about four more GMs or so. and i agree with HK and his judgements

Hokage_Kalar likes this.
  9. MandaloreYak

MandaloreYak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 29, 2004
    I saw we get these powered up dudes that, really when it comes down to it are impossible to judge anyway, gone.

Now.

Hokage_Kalar likes this.
  10. Mikaboshi

Jul 12, 2005
    Impossible to judge? No, not really.

11. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    Sorry. Impossible to judge *with accuracy.*

Take Onslaught, for example. He's never actually lost. He's never come close. Yet somewhere in this draft we determined that we knew what it took to beat him.

Oh yeah also take Majestic, who builds complex, ridiculous weapons in nanoseconds. We can't possibly begin to comprehend what he could do with 24 hours. We don't have the ability. And that is why when it was him vs Onslaught I was just like "whatevs."

12. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Yak, you're being a buzzkill. You can apply that same logic to any character, if you dig deep enough, with the only exception being Tott Doneeta.

Axle-Starweilder likes this.
  13. Hokage_Kalar

May 13, 2009
    "Break.Him"???:confused:

Also, what do you not like about my trump? They were my last 2 pickups... why not trump prep them?

14. Mikaboshi

Jul 12, 2005
    Anyone going out for free comic day?

15. Hokage_Kalar

May 13, 2009
    When?

16. Mikaboshi

Jul 12, 2005
    I think it is today.

I disagree. Even in comics most characters have a chance of winning most encounters, even if it is remote (and sometimes should be impossible).

Did I feel robbed when Ultron lost to Doom and Richards? A bit, but it was their day to win. Would they win with 3 other judges? Maybe, maybe not. Either way the draft goes on.

Comics, just like the drafts, are filled with inconsistency and surprises. Not all of the results seen there are "accurate", what ever that means.

Besides, none of the calls have been bad in this. Did Onslaught lose? Sure, but it was against some extremely powerful opponents and I can live with it.

Hokage_Kalar likes this.
  17. Axle-Starweilder

Axle-Starweilder Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 6, 2005
    yeah, i don't personally see any problem with the plethora of power-dudes (and chicks) in this draft as it stands, presently. i just think that if there were more GMs then the pool would get a little more watered down and we'd have easier calls like thanos vs. black thunder or falcon vs. darkseid. also, if i were a GM in this draft i would just never use a trump and make up the difference in soaking up forfeits. that would have been genius!

18. Hokage_Kalar

May 13, 2009
    I doubt that would work against every team

19. Hokage_Kalar

May 13, 2009
    After doing some analysis of trumps, the teams that are losing wouldn't do better by not trumping, and the teams that are winning are trumping well. I don't believe it's over trumping, just the realization that certain people aren't as good as others...

20. Wang Chi

Wang Chi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Eh, to be honest, I'm not sure why it was we started talking about Cable as though it was a given that he's at full power. Hasn't he pretty much always been considered to have the T/O virus holding him back for the purposes of the game? Isn't the fact that he's paired with Domino on the list a fairly gigantic clue that he's supposed to be restricted by the virus? Is there any other paired pick on the list that includes someone that's even within two or three leagues of Jesus Cable's power level?

But hey, if that's what he is, then that's what he is, I guess. Not my call. Not that it really matters in this instance, either, since I'd go for the trump prepped with or without the T/O virus.

Cable/Domino/Comet
    Majestic
    Marvel/Ganthet

21. Mikaboshi

Jul 12, 2005
    I thought the purpose of this game was to explore the upper end of a character's power, and throw away the old conventions of thinking. His peak seems to be Jesus Cable, from what they said earlier it was sustained for a good period of time.

It is your call though. EF left it up to the judges to consider what they find reasonable, and it is up to the GM's to bring up anything they can and try to convince you why a character should be viewed as such. It is your call to determine if it will be regular Cable or Jesus Cable.

22. Hokage_Kalar

May 13, 2009
    Well I brought it before the council and 2 judges and EF went for it. And I did that before picking. And this is peak draft not normal draft as mika said.

23. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    Yeah... I know ppl do it, but can he not be called Jesus Cable?

24. The_Chim

The_Chim Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 2001
    Peak draft not normal draft? When is it ever normal draft, or hell peak for that matter because sustained peak does not equal either of those. As Yak was saying everyone just kind of argues and judges however they want because the upper echelon of characters is so murky and vague. Again like Yakkers said Onslaught is a good example (Mr Majestic could be also I know nothing of him or his universe just what the manlove here tells me), he (Onslaught) certainly wasn't judged at his peak. If he were then he would never lose and practically the entire draft list would be needed to down him...kinda like it was in the comics where he showed that actual peak and killed half the marvel Universe. But here we judge him with no Franklin Richards, no Nate Grey, just as first form Onslaught from the first few issues of his arc. That or I guess I just suck at arguing my team.

25. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    Michael Scott's Dunder Mifflin Scranton Meredith Palmer Memorial Celebrity Rabies Awareness Pro-Am Fun Run Race for the Cure (1) Vs. Blowhard Busters(4)
    Ill Will Hunting(2) Vs. The Yak's Inferno (3)
    There Will Be Order(2) Vs. The Green Marvels(3)
    Mikaboshi's Heartbreak(1) Vs. Mad Men(3)

Barrelhaven, #4

Thanos Vs. Captain Comet *forfeit*
    Zemo (prepared) Vs. Flash
    Blink Vs. Thor
    Superman Cyborg (prepared) Vs. Sinestro