main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I just can't help but be perplexed why people devote so much time and energy into things they don't care for. I can guarantee there are hundreds, if not thousands of better, and not to mention healthier ways to spend your time.

And yes, the guy who has a thread dedicated to The Glove of Darth Vader is saying this :p

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  2. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    If more people read GODV, they would have an easier time putting all the pressure of their quotidian troubles into perspective.

instantdeath likes this.
  3. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    All I have to say to this is they're "going to burn in a very special level of Hell. One they reserve for child molesters and people who talk at the theater."

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I am now in the room where -- in less than 30 minutes -- I will take the last exam of my academic career. Wow.

Sinrebirth and Point Given like this.
  5. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    No phones!

And may the Force, and the Golden One, be with you.

Too late.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  6. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    best of luck jello!

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  7. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Fortuna bene, Iello!

So, my capstone prof recommended I find a way to get the university to pay for me to take Greek classes at another university, and to look into post-bacchelaureate programs. He also suggested I take the foreign service exam.

8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    And there it is. Aside from a really short stupid thing I have to work on this weekend, I am basically done with school.

9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Congratulations Jello!

10. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    [​IMG]

Rogue_Follower and instantdeath like this.
  11. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Thanks everyone! Celebrating by going with a bunch of folks to my favorite restaurant, and then we'll watch IM3.

RC: oof, foreign service exam. Exam shouldn't be terribly hard for someone of decent education, but the interviews are legendarily hard to get invited to. But if you're open to it and don't necessarily want to do academia, I'd encourage it. Public service is always admirable.

and yes, take Greek. It'll make you a better person.

12. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Unless you actually are Greek, then you're just naturally awesome.

13. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    If nothing else, I still have another year to think on this stuff.

Congrats, Iello!

14. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Hm -- was a productive way to spend the last day of school. Was hanging out with about 3 distinct groups, and then immediately got invited out again as soon as I got back home from IM3. Was at some sort of Piano Bar, and at one point they were singing "American Pie" -- which, to this day, I still associate with the Weird Al parody "Anakin" song instead. I heard that version first, so when I eventually did hear "American Pie" for the first time, I was like "errr, this sounds wrong!"

Guess that's what happens when you grow up living and breathing Star Wars :p

Eh, except modern Greek sounds nothing like ancient Greek (and the grammar is simplified and debased, ugh) so modern Greek speakers often have difficulty learning ancient Greek properly. Everyone assumed that the modern Greek speaker in my old Greek class would be the best student, but I trounced his ass :p

Ulicus likes this.
  15. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
  16. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Wuzzup with all the cyclists on the east coast?

17. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I still hafta read the last two at some point..,

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

18. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I only just bought Caine's Law something like a month ago. I might just buy them all again to have physical copies, though. The series is certainly good enough. Any excuse to throw money at Stover is probably a good one.

I'm not sure how you'd feel about the last one, Jello. It's very anti civilization and government in places. Of course, the government in question is an Orwellian dystopia...

19. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Heroes Die remains the only non-SW book I've actually read due to someone's SW work. I want to get to the rest at some point but at my speed, reading Tyshalle is like a six-month proposition.

20. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    i'm not sure how anyone would feel about the last one, really. it's...

...well hah i'm finding myself actually sort of reluctant to say much about it here (publicly, on the internet) because Matt Stover is basically my favorite author in the whole world and omg he might see this post someday and then i would feel super bad about it.
    so yeah.

anyway those covers are kinda weird and not really what i'd do but it is neat seeing them all sharing a single look i guess. if they got re-released like that in the US i'd buy them again probably! especially if they were released in hardcover.

21. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I enjoyed the last one quite a bit. Better than Caine Black Knife, but not quite as good as the first two. I wasn't thrilled with the Horse Witch as a plot device, but I really enjoyed the Blind God plot. Actually, everything about the Gods was interesting in that book; Stover's God's function somewhere between the standard omnipotent forces of nature and the flawed, selfish and mundane Gods you see in mythology and in book series like Malazan. I really wish there was more about them written. I also feel the book wrapped up a bit too quickly, but that book gets so dense that it all but demands a reread, so I may revise that opinion whenever I get around to one.

22. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Pfft. I'm not talking about the language, just the ethnicity. I'm actually Greek, but I only know a word or two of the language. :p

23. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    What kind of Greek? Peninsular, Ionian, Pontic, diaspora?

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

24. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I found this way more amusing than I probably should have.

I must be a poor excuse for a Star Wars fan; I completely forgot it was Star Wars day and am not currently reading anything Star Wars except for the Jedi Prince series :p

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  25. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    I have been looking up the old Holonet News, and found this gem:
    http://www.holonetnews.com/45/regional/13228_2.html

May the Fourth be with you.

Edit: The best way to celebrate May the Fourth? Read through the Cad Bane thread. While it may contradict the EU, it also shows what makes it special.

Edit2: I just realized that I can edit anything here and Barriss_Coffee will seem to have liked it.
    San Hill is dead.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.