main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, IDK. My family has lived in America for over 100 years. We just talk about our heritage for bragging rights, lol.

2. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    That would fall under diaspora, I would think.

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    LOL, well, Mediterraneans rule.

(My kids are 1/4 Italian.)

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  4. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffourth you buddy.

Lugija likes this.
  5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Depends 100 years is just about the start of WWI, so it would predate the population exchanges but it would still reflect the post-independence population movements out of the Ottoman Empire.

Anyway Todd, you should learn Ancient Greek. It'll literally make you a better human being. That's what the ancient philosophers thought! Καλλιός ανθρωπος.

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

6. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    So I broke up my first party. I'm home this weekend, and my parents are out, so my sister has the brilliant idea that, since I really don't care what she does in her free time (I know, I'm a model big brother, but I'd feel like a hypocrite being anything resembling strict with her), that she can have a party. Well, she does, and I tolerate it by staying upstairs and drowning out their loud, obnoxious music with my equally loud music (of course, mine is through headphones). Then she gets a noise complaint, and as the "adult", I have to be the one to talk to the cop. What's that popular acronym that I've never felt the need to use? Oh yeah, FML.

I don't know the procedures on these things, but I feel like I could get in a lot of trouble for allowing so many minors to drink, even if I'm not even old enough to drink myself. Luckily I'm able to talk my way out of it... by mostly lying through my teeth. I knew being a good liar would pay off some day. But anyway, then I get to force a bunch of drunk teens to leave, sometimes by physically shoving them through the door. Was more fun than it should have been. I think I'm getting old...

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  7. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Woo! Next wave of X-Wing minis is announced. TIE Bomber, B-Wing, both expected. Imperial Shuttle, not surprising. As for the Rebel large craft? Outrider? Nope, it's the HWK! They made the Moldy Crow!
    And we get other cool things from the EU like Jan Ors and Colonel Jendon as pilots, Nova squadron B-Wings, Scimitar Squadron Bombers, and Advanced Proton Torpedoes!

8. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
  9. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
    Ooh, thanks. That article at FFG wasn't up yet when I looked earlier.
    Some of those upgrades look fun. Rebel Captive is neat, and the shuttle with 12 upgrade cards is awesome.

10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Moldy Crow? Damn... perhaps I will actually see a TIE Advanced (Avenger) and a Missile Boat in plastic some day....

Although if they do the latter, they'd best do the original TIE Fighter version or *else*

11. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    I'm going slowly through A Clash of Kings. I don't have much to say about it (that means that I'm not going to write walls of text), but some interesting things:

- I found it hilarious that many of the big mysteries I had when watching the show were solved in the Prologue. The red woman's name is Melisandre. Ser Davos got his ser when he saved the Storm's End with his onion ship. Stannis plans to attack and murder Renly. Even the wildfire is mentioned on page 47 as an afterthought.
    - Oh dear, I have a bad feeling about the youngling Freys.
    - I also have a hunch that the leader of the Brotherhood without Banners will be named Dondarrion.
    - I am on page 267 and the Night's Watch has just now got to Craster. The big omissions at the moment are the first Jon chapters, Sansa chapters with ser Dontos (if there are more, they have met once now) and Bran having counsel and parties with the northern lords. These are all something that I don't think are missing while watching the show, but are interesting to read. I remember commenting about Sansa's small role that I don't know what she should be doing besides staying low, and wondering where did Joffrey's new fool go. I will find out, I'm sure.
    - King Renly is introduced, and so is a woman who I'm sure will be Renly's loyal sidekick while he has all kinds of adventures... what? You mean the woman will be one of the main characters while Stannis writes the cheat code "shadowfratricide"? That's absurd!

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  12. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Yes, you are, you groutchy old man. [face_devil]

13. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Someday... someday you shall craft the almighty Glove. And then all shall fear you and despair!

....and even if it doesn't electrocute anyone I'm sure it can still do a number if you slap them upside the head with it.

14. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Lugija -- regarding your first comment, the show does answer those questions for you... just a lot later in season 2. In fact, you get both of those answers from Stannis when he's on a boat. :p

instantdeath -- Obviously your authority wasn't firmly established or such a party would have never occurred in your presence. I'd never tolerate such a thing, and my brother knows it, so I'd never had to deal with such a situation. 'course, I'm a lot more easy going about things now, but that's because my good example has already been impressed upon him. :p

Anyway, in other news, I got the first few issues of DotJ on sale the other day and decided to give them a look. And I just... don't... like it. #0 was intriguing enough (I was especially fascinated by the different Jedi temples, and how they actually had appreciation for things other than philosophy and lightsabers -- I particularly liked that there was a Jedi school of the arts (poetry! calligraphy! drama! sculpture!) and a Jedi research station (Jedi scientists? whaaaa?)). Sadly the actual storyline is dull, but maybe it's because it's Force nonsense. I suppose I'm more interested in the Jedi as a cultural organization than in the details of their religion.

That, and I would still much, much, much rather see an origin story for the Republic instead (perhaps even linking in to Xim!).

15. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Xim at the least needs a comic series, a book trilogy, and a movie.

Gorefiend likes this.
  16. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    I know, but I think it was funny that I thought that Melisandre's name and the rest were some big mysteries when all of them are "solved" ten pages in the book. The magic of adapting to the screen. The first novel also made always clear who was Theon and who was Rickon and who was Robb, which was a very big mystery when I watched the first season. :p

17. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    ah #$#$@#%@$%@!##

I got my first B+ on a paper since... well. Since first semester sophomore year of high school. I feel like a complete failure right now. To make things worse -- it's on a class that's supposedly one of my two strongest areas. I mean I guess I reaped what I had sown, writing it all last second but... I'm usually still able to pull out As from that :(

18. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Don't forget a sourcebook and an Essential Guide.

blackmyron and Gorefiend like this.
  19. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
    I'm hoping for a TIE Defender and E-Wing as the small craft for next round, then Outrider and some other larger craft for the Dark Side.

Anyone else think it is odd that the 29m HWK is on a small base and not a large ship base? Did it get scaled down, or is that just photoshop of the crafts onto bases?

20. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
  21. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    instantdeath and Ulicus like this.
  22. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    I just don't know how you do it - knowing that you could go out and read book 3 before S3 airs. And book 3 is so friggin' fabulous.

23. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Disney has reached an agreement with EA to produce Star Wars games
    DICE is great, and makes me think we'll get Battlefront 3. I'm a bit worried that EA corporate will mess things up though. Hopefully they've learned their lesson from the SimCity and Diablo III fiascos.

24. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
    Yeah, they learned that even with the uproar, people still buy their games. And Star Wars is a big enough title that people will buy it regardless.
    A Battlefront III with less focus on the Jedi/Characters and using the Frostbite 2/3 engine would be nice, granted.
    Maybe a new version of Force Commander based on the C&C engine as well, since it is EA.

25. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Wait, Precursor Games"? THIS CAN'T BE HAPPENING!!!! Is that what Silicon Knights are calling themselves, now, or did they finally go under?

Anyway, Eternal Darkness was great. Hope this lives up to it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.