main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Star Wars: The Clone Wars nominated for seven daytime Emmys

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Convor, May 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darkchrono

darkchrono Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005
    Lol, well what do you expect to have happen. You are trying to make it sound that people who don't like TCW who are going into a TCW forum and saying how bad it is are the victims. If people go into the EU forums and say how bad the EU is what do you think is going to happen? Chances are they are going to get jumped on. If you don't like TCW then why are you talking in TCW threads anyway and a forum mostly dedicated to TCW. Chances are you are just trying to create controversy.

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    So you are saying that it is OK to attack people for having a different opinion from you on a TV show?

Wow.

And don't give me a lot of bull**** about "it's not OK but it's expected". Especially since I suspect that you would not give the so-called "negative" people the same pass that you are willing to give the "positive" people if we were to get offended by an opposing opinion.

And last I checked, the name of this forum had not been changed to "Clone Wars Fan Club." There is such a thread in the Star Wars Community forum, and if someone were to go in that particular thread and bash TCW, that would be trolling. Just because several of you would like this particular forum to be one in which someone posts "Ashley Eckstein is appearing as Ahsoka on the latest episode of Sesame Street and is willing a children's literature Pulitzer for it" and everyone else replies with "AWESOME!", does not mean that those of us who DON'T think that TCW is the best thing to happen since television was invented, are supposed to be silenced.

Why do we post here? Not that it's any of your business but maybe we want to be able to express our disappointment with certain aspects of the show on this DISCUSSION BOARD. Read: not "fan club". Not choir practice.

If another poster is taking it personally and getting all butthurt over an opinion of a ****ing TV show, it is that poster's problem and he or she needs to get the **** over it and realize that not everyone will share his or her taste in everything. It is not the responsibility of the person with the opinion.

As I said earlier, the biggest difference between the so-called "negative" people here and the so-called "positive" people is that the so-called "negative" people aren't attacking those who have a different opinion of a show. And amazingly enough, when a few of us do snap back because we are subject to personal attacks, we are assumed to be the problem. :rolleyes:

And BTW, there are people who go in Lit and talk about disliking the EU or aspects of it. I post there pretty regularly and I talk about how Thrawn and Mara Jade suck. Interestingly enough, I don't get yelled at for that. But around here, say one negative thing about Ahsoka Tano and apparently you've kicked somebody's dog or stolen their life savings.

3. darkchrono

May 23, 2005
    Boy you like to curse a lot. Quit trying to act like the victim when you are the one who is going into a thread dedicated to a show and saying how bad that show is. If you want to complain about it that is fine. But don't try to turn it around and act like the victim when people start talking back to you when you are coming into the place dedicated to their show that they like.

4. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    No. Once again, you're wrong.

A thread dedicated to a subject, one that's not designated as a "Fan Club" thread, is open to all manner of discussion of that subject, from every point of view. Praise, critical analysis, complaints―all points are valid. If you don't want someone posting anything but positive, joyful comments, either find or go make a Clone Wars Fan Club thread dedicated to praising the series' many virtues and successes. Otherwise, you should be prepared for critical commentary, multi-viewed analysis, and yes, a number of complaints. That's the way things work. Trying to quiet, cajole, or otherwise smother another personal's feelings because they don't meet your own criteria for what may or may not be valid commentary is unacceptable. If the person is not being a flagrant ass with their opinions, and is simply disagreeing with your own views, you need to be adult about it and either debate the point intelligently and politely, or move on.

This thing you're doing comes across as "You Mad Bro?" trolling, and is nothing but a hindrance to open discussion.

5. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    I let it slide when you called me out since I don't really give a rat's ass about your opinion of me, but I will point out that this only started when you and others like you lost your temper that I *gasp* didn't like the show's last season and feel that they don't deserve most the awards they are nominated for.

By the way, I still endorse Jim Cumming's nomination.

6. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    -sigh- I don't think people here really call out the critical folks just because they post critically in threads like this. Who hasn't disagreed before with the acclaimed hype something has gotten before? I hate Nickeback. Can't stand the thought they could win anything for the garbage music they make. However, to borrow Garth's old words of wisdom. Coming into this thread in the television forum to strictly talk about how much one hates this show is like going into a thread about the band's Grammy nods on a Nickelback forum just to say they suck, should stop making music, and Chad Kroger should throw himself off a cliff onto jagged rocks. What reactions do you think I'd get? Just sayin' Everyone's perfectly entitled to their opinion, to voice how much TCW should not win any Emmy awards and voice it as loudly as they want or to say how much this show blows away anything else nominated against it. And that said its not a poster's job to call out anybody.

Onto my opinion... I think TCW deserves a shot at all of the awards its nominated for and to me it is the top contender for the daytime Emmy awards for an animated series. I don't think the nominations have anything to do with the cancellation. Season 5 had some mishaps for sure with Onderon and the Droid arc but Young Jedi was okay and liked by many (although not so much by myself) and for me the season ended strongly with the Maul arc and Ahsoka Fugitive arcs.

Also, Transformers Prime will be ending as well after the new season. Time to make a new show and sell more toys I guess. I enjoy Transformers Prime, that show has some killer background music and a cool linear storytelling style with a mix of camp, pop references, and action. I don't find that superior to TCW at all. Infact there are times I've thought that TP seems reactionary to TCW like moving from an episodic format in season 1 to more arc based in season 2. Despite, to my knowledge not being tied down by characters whose fates are already written in stone (Always was TCW's main drawback, IMO) Transformers Prime is just as blatantly predictable. I can't recall ever being surprised by anything that happened. Many plots revolve around searching for some Cybertonian relic which all seem to conveniently find their way to earth, rather reminiscent of the first half of Power Rangers: Turbo. That's rather on par with the monster of the day formula TCW tends to use. I also get frustrated by how TP sets up stuff and then just doesn't follow through with it. Take this latest season premier for example where they set it up that Smokescreen would become the new Prime which would be a neat change. Makes me glad Jasper is still destroyed (Hope atleast). The character development really hasn't impressed me. Its mainly Bulkhead, Rachet, Jack, Starscream, Wheeljack, and the late comer who steals the show Smokescreen, who have received much development. Arcee always seems to regress, Optimus is boring as ever, and Mikko is still annoying.

7. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    If you went into such a Nickelback thread with that post, Seerow, I would hope that you would not get attacked personally for your opinion and if you did, I would hope your attacker would be held responsible for breaking a "music not fans" rule. Under what TOS here is it considered acceptable to harass and insult people because they have an opinion that doesn't toe the party line? Was the TOS revised without my knowledge to include the lines "All forums are now considered fan clubs and anyone posting a negative opinion of any aspect of the show can expect to get flamed with no consequences"? I must have missed that.

As far as the "What kind of reaction do you expect?"...Are we or are we not all responsible for our reactions, for keeping a "franchise not fans" rule (or does that one not apply in LACWAC?), regardless of what is said to us? Without knowing any mod squad details, I'm willing to bet you've banned people for reacting in a way that violates the TOS, when they didn't like what someone else posted. Why is it "understandable" when some people react with personal attacks but bannable when other people do?

It seems that we should be responsible for not attacking people personally no matter what is said. I could go into every thread here and post that TCW sucks and I haven't violated the TOS (and I don't believe the entire series "sucks" BTW) but as I have read the TOS, the people who post along the lines of "GTFO you ****ing hater!" be in violation, no matter how upset they were that someone disrupted their praise fest.

Yep, I do curse a lot. And?

As far as your last statement, people are entitled to disagree with any opinion, but when you start endorsing insulting other people because you don't like their opinion of a show, that sounds somewhere between an elementary school "They started it!" and a more childish idea that people here can't handle an alternate opinion without being insulting. I don't think that's true of everyone who posts here, and for those about whom it is true...as I said, the insulting comments are the responsibility of the person who made the comments. You're trying to make them the responsibility of the person with the opinion. Anyone old enough to post on the Internet should be old enough to handle posts that aren't preaching to the choir.

8. Kev Snowmane

Kev Snowmane Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2013
    To paraphrase the great Groucho: "There is nothing like making a valid point, and what he is making is is nothing like a valid point..."

It's one thing for someone to have a valid criticism of a property or parts thereof and make a reasoned post of their viewpoint in a matter that is respectful to the rest of the thread community.

It's entirely another thing to pop in and post something like "Ahsoka suXz!" for the umpteen quintillionth time.

The former is debatable opinion. The later is just trolling, pure and simple (even if the mods around here permit it).

It's sad (but not surprising) that the haters get all butt-hurt when they troll into a thread and find their crap less than welcome.

9. Kev Snowmane

Jan 1, 2013
    Asking you to make a debatable point rather than spouting off hater-tudes is not "attacking personally".

Most boards I know would do so if warranted AND hold the hater responsible for starting a hostile discussion (ie, trolling).

Since no one is saying that, your anger is misplaced. You are not being called on expressing a "negative opinion". You are being called on doing so in a way that is basically trolling.

Classic Troll 101: Start a fight, then complain when people fight back.

If you REALLY want people to stop telling you to GTFO, then maybe you should re-evaluate your Hater-style of posting.

10. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Nope. Trolling is posting something specifically to get a rise out of people. Going into an Ahsoka fan club thread and posting that Ahsoka sucks, would be trolling. Posting that Ahsoka sucks in a discussion forum (read: not fan forum) when the poster really believes that Ahsoka sucks, isn't trolling.

I once posted the more official Internet-lingo definition of trolling here, I'm on my phone or I'd do it again, but it matches what I said above...not "what the more sensitive find to be an acceptable level of debate" (which let's not pretend here, you once accused me of trolling for saying that Ahsoka was stupid in one episode, that tells me that you would not find any criticism of her acceptable).

And referring to people who disagree with you as "haters" is exactly the type of "franchise not fans" violation that I was referring to earlier. But it is permitted, whereas any personal reaction to being constantly called a "hater" and told to leave, is not.

And let's talk about "butthurt": taking it personally when someone criticizes a fictional character or a fictional franchise. Behaving as if such a person insulted you personally.

That is butthurt. Not tolerating harassment over an opinion of a character or a show? That's normal.

11. Kev Snowmane

Jan 1, 2013
    Or that the Academy doesn't always understand good storywriting.

12. Kev Snowmane

Jan 1, 2013
    Which is what unsupported "bumper sticker" posts like yours are designed to do. I have yet to see you post anything more substantive than a bald statement of your opinion on a topic/person/character.

Most boards would disagree with you.

Yes I did, because your post offered no evidence or argumentation to support that position. It was simply a "bash" of Ahsoka.

FIFY

FIFY again

13. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    The term "haters" and "hater-tudes" is a personal attack.

You are free to either ignore the phrase "Ahsoka sucks" or address why you don't think she sucks. Instead you have chosen to make these posts about me. That's not a "franchise not fans" violation...how exactly?

So you hang out on boards specifically designated as fan clubs? That's the only place I can think of where a negative opinion is labelled trolling.

Bull****. Saying that Ahsoka was an idiot in one show is an opinion. Saying that Sam Witwer doesn't deserve an award is an opinion.

Trolling does not mean "expressing an opinion that Kev Snowmane doesn't like in a way that Kev Snowmane doesn't like". Look it up.

14. Kev Snowmane

Jan 1, 2013
    I don't disagree conceptually at all. but look at who is nommed for what...Hondo? Seriously? He is the source of an Emmy nod and not Eckstein and Lanter for their consistently outstanding performances? The final scene with the two of them alone deserves to take home the Emmy.

15. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Nope. "Bumper sticker style posts" are not a TOS violation.

Across the Internet psychoanalysis on the pretense that you understand people's motivations is hilarious though.

And yes, this is a message board, I will post my "bald statements."

LOL. PPOR.

Bashing is not trolling. Ahsoka doesn't post here, therefore "bashing" her is not against the TOS outside the currently locked Ahsoka Fan Club thread in SWC.

16. Kev Snowmane

Jan 1, 2013
    No, it's an accurate description of your repetitive and unsubstantiated/supported posts.

Please dismount from your imaginary high-horse and join the rest of us mere mortals in an actual discussion.

You are not being crit-ed for having a "negative opinon". You are being crit-ed for presenting that opinion in a blatantly confrontational way designed to stir up negative feelings rather than reasoned debate.

On most boards, that is trolling.

Given the amount of negative reaction to your opinion, I'd say it was far from being just me.

Saying something designed to torque people off and trying to cover it as "just an opinion" is classic Troll.

Weren't you just saying "post not poster"? And right here is a personal attack.

Ladies and Genlemen: People's Exhibit #1 as to who is trying to "make it personal"...

And your constant bald-face bashes don't count? . Pointless repetition of the same unsupported opinions designed to stir up bad feeling in most boards would be defined as constituting both.

Once again we see you trying to falsely portray yourself as the "innocent victim".

17. Kev Snowmane

Jan 1, 2013
    Only because this board is a bit slack on such things.

"By their fruits you shall know them..." Post troll posts, get called a troll. It's that simple.

And the people you are pushing will push back. Stop acting surprised and butt-hurt when they do.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  18. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
  19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    So if I believe that "you're a ****ing idiot" is an "accurate description", can I post it without being in violation of the TOS?

I pitch a huge gripe fest when someone (far from being just me) makes a negative post about the show or a character and gets shrilled at and harassed in response. And I will continue to do so. Someone posting that "Ahsoka sucks" or "Sam Witwer doesn't deserve an award" is not license for people to personally attack that poster in response.

LOL, what actual discussion? You've made this thread about me and I'm glad I'm such a fascinating discussion, but the only "high horse" around here is being sat upon by those who want to tell other people how to post and what constitutes "actual discussion."

Only if it's done to get a rise out of people. You're welcome to post an Internet lingo definition proving me wrong though, as opposed to expecting me to take your word for it.

As far as my poor wittle Shokie- pooh comment-- are you Ahsoka? If not, that wasn't personal.

I don't care if people like my opinion or not, but the allowance of personal attacks against myself or other people who aren't in love with every aspect of the show, is a TOS violation.

Going back to my first comment, I'm pretty sure if I said that everyone who likes Ahsoka is a ****ing idiot, I would be banned, and rightfully so. Not sure why name-calling in the reverse is now acceptable simply because some want to keep the level of discourse as "positive only," although this isn't a fan club.

20. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    Which means that they may also not understand good direction, composing or voice acting. My god, the entire thing is a sham! Does that render the entire congratulatory thread redundant now?

21. Kev Snowmane

Jan 1, 2013
    Posting a personal attack as a "hypothetical" is a rather obvious ploy, don't you think?

Yet you are entirely comfortable with your poorly-veiled personal attack above...interesting, if a bit pre-school in terms of sophistication.

Actual discussion, as in a discussion that actually makes on topic debatable points supported by some evidence or argument.

"Ahsoka suXz!" doesn't qualify. Neither do your rather obvious attempts to flame/troll those who are on to your intent.

And posting bumper sticker hater-isms without evidence or argument to support them is done out of some altruistic intention of furthering the discussion?

Ok, that's at least an adequate attempt at troll-fu: to make a comment then take your own comment out of context just to try to score a cheap point when responded to.

This is what you said:

Your comment wasn't about Ahsoka. Your comment was a flame of people defending her (and a rather belittlingly put one at that).

A lesser debater might not have caught that one...but I earned my "spurs" wrangling dirty debaters like the "pros" in places like JREF (the James Randi Foundation forums). I know all the tricks.

Because then it's a discussion about the topic, and not an extended session of having to out flames and play "whack-a-troll"

22. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    A flame is a flame is a flame. Your thinking that your particular flame is accurate, does not make it less of a TOS violation.

If it's OK for you to use the term "hater" when you think it's accurate, then the term "idiot" should be allowed by anyone who thinks it's accurate.

LOL wut? What poorly-veiled personal attack? [face_laugh]

This from the guy who thinks it's acceptable to call people "trolls" and "haters" as long as they disagree with you about a fictional franchise.

Who gave you the authority to tell other people how to post?

"Ahsoka sucks" is not a TOS violation. Insulting people who say that "Ahsoka sucks" is, even if you think your insults are "accurate." I'm not sure what part of that you don't understand.

I'm still waiting for the online Internet lingo source that corroborates your personal definition of "trolling."

I'm also waiting for you to protest all the "Ahsoka rulz!!!" and "that episode was AWESOME!" posts as "bumper sticker posts," designed solely to get a rise out of people who dislike Ahsoka or disliked the episode. But I won't hold my breath. Somehow I think your definition of posting that "doesn't contribute to the conversation" only applies to opinions you don't like.

Yep, because I'm expressing the opinion that Ahsoka sucks. In the thread where you got so butthurt, I said that she would be stupid to listen to some vision on Mortis. Your dislike of my calling a fictional character "stupid" is not my responsibility, nor did it warrant your attack on me which I commend the mods for deleting.

Calling people "haters" and "trolls" is "discussing the topic" and calling people "idiots" is not?

LOL.

23. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    Hey guys take this to a PM please. There's no reason to derail a thread with this.

24. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    It's fine Kate, I have no intention of accepting PMs from the PP and I assume that would be my choice.

I made my point here. I hope Futterman and Taylor win. I enjoyed their performances.

25. darkchrono

May 23, 2005
    Anakinfan you know it is obvious what you do here. It's obvious your main reason for posting is just to stir things up. Sure you may hide behind the rooze that you are simply debating but anybody who has been around message boards before knows that the real reason people post on threads about shows they don't like is to stir up controversy with the people that do like it. You pretty much just jump from one argument to another. It's obvious that you fit into the category of people whose main goal is to stir the pot.

Maybe this thread can get back on topic now about the awards TCW was nominated for.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.