main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Should Luke be single, married, divorced, or a widower?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by newdawn12, Apr 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth slaughter

Darth slaughter Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 22, 2013
    Single!
    His love should be his religion (Jedi) like a monk or something

2. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Cringes... yeah, monk... great incentive for those he passes the torch too. Remaining single is their reward for all their sacrifices... that's gonna work out really well.

Plus talk about a boring a repetitive theme if every future movie ends with Jedi remaining single. Sorry but that plot line closes even more doors than fully adapting the EU into the movie, the difference being a known starting point vs a known ending for every upcoming movie.

Jedi should be knights with some wizard/spiritual connections, not monks who ignoring the living aspect of the force in favor solely the unifying force. They need grounding in the present least they will be manipulated by the dark side obscuring their visions. I hate to point it out but healthy relationships help ground the Jedi to the living force and their present actions.

Jolee Bindo said it amazingly well in KotOR

Its fine keeping some Jedi being far more spiritual, however Luke is the key Jedi in allowing future Jedi to having healthy relationships. If he's single its a lot harder for any future Jedi to not just end up boring monks at stories end, which when combined with a movie a year will kill this franchise quicker than a tractor beam grabbing the Falcon. The stories need to be more expansive and have as wide a range of possibilities as possible to keep the audience on their toes and with Jedi being the main attraction of the franchise, keeping Jedi like monks and forever single is akin to starting off the series with the writers having blinders on and the cast without one of the most relatable human emotions being able to be used.

3. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    I like a lot of the EU better than the prequels.

There, I said it, and now I feel better! :p

(And I like the prequels.)

dewback_rancher and Ryus like this.
  4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I think it's fine to want Luke to have kids and I also think it's fine if the PT "no marriage" rule is tossed out the window. (I also think it's fine if it isn't, I don't have a strong stake in that one way or another.) I'm just wondering about your sarcastic statement here, why is being single a "punishment" and being married a "reward" of some sorts?

It is possible that Luke could choose to remain single, not out of some ideal of being "married to the Jedi" or some rule about marriage being forbidden, but because he just doesn't want to get married. Marriage isn't for everyone, nor is it always better than being single.

And I think I mentioned it before, but romance does not always "ground" people, in fact, it often does quite the opposite.

5. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm still trying to figure out why the OP didn't include a drunken womanizer option. :)

6. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    That option is reserved for Lando.

This is Luke Skywalker, not Lando Calrissian. Yes, he will want to get married if he meets the right person. Because it is Luke and Luke is an extrovert nice guy, not a loner, not a player.

This I already explained. :rolleyes:
    Luke would have some duties (to his wife, his kids) besides the cerebral Jedi stuff. That would keep him grounded.

Lets also assume, because it is a space fairy tale, that Luke wouldn't have to deal with divorce or whatever typical marriage problems. We'll never see discussions about who left the toilet seat up in Star Wars.

Ryus likes this.
  7. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    So all "extrovert nice guys" want to get married? Really? Since when?

Nice disparaging comments about people who might not think marriage is the best choice though. The terms "loner" and "player" are generally not compliments.

It is also possible to have "duties" without getting married. It's not as if single people have no responsibilities.

Ack, no thanks. I'm glad the only marriage we see in Star Wars turned out to be a doomed one. And I like the A/P story and I'm sad for both characters by midway through ROTS, but still, the way it worked out for them is far more realistic than the childish "happily ever after."

8. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    1)
    Usually, yes. That's what being extrovert is about: Wanting to be with other people. What the hell does this have to do with "all" extroverts? I thought we were talking about Luke, the one who flirted with Leia.

2)
    I would totally do Lando. Loners and players are terms that get a lot of meaning across, not insults. I can easily admit being a loner. Now how does that fit your agenda to demonize me?

3)
    Jedi master deal with Jedi master things almost their entire time, if we are to trust the depiction in the movies.

Doomed overly dramatic romances are par for the course for fairy tales. Despite common misconceptions fairy tales can be rather grim.

Orpheus and Euridike for instance is a greek myth and very, very dark, to name an example.

V-2 likes this.
  9. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Indeed it is!

10. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    If that's what being an extrovert is all about, I would assume that you mean that all extroverts want to get married. And you made a point of mentioning that Luke is a "nice guy", which I assumed to mean that "players" and "loners" who don't want to get married are not "nice guys."

Me too, before I would do Luke. And?

LOL wut? I have an agenda to demonize someone I barely know on a message board? Really?

Right, so what's the problem?

Sure, but you mentioned the idea that neither Luke nor any other Star Wars character would have to deal with divorce. That sounds both incredibly unrealistic and more like a "happily ever after" story.

I actually wouldn't mind Luke being married and getting yelled at for leaving his underwear on the floor.

V-2 likes this.
  11. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    I said single not married there. Sorry but big difference to a teenage disciple, in one 'no marriage' they say cool whatever wasnt planning on getting married today shesh... on the other hand 'dont even think about kissing him/her' they rebel and go crazy. :p

I also said healthy relationships, as in the Jedi should still try to end unhealthy ones and/or teach their students how to make them healthy in the first place... and as Jolee said in the video also learn when its time to walk away from one

Next off yes, Luke could remain single... however in a sense his status sets the presedent for this issue for future Jedi. So plot wise its limiting for him to be single and as stated prior I view that as risky to the franchise, especially at a movie a year from now on.

12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    OK, but you included "being single as a reward" as part of your sarcastic statement, which I concluded to mean that you think being single is the opposite of a reward.

I'm not sure it's the job of the Jedi to do the kind of relationship counseling you are proposing.

13. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    Oh yeah Mr Jedi Bigshot? Why don't you ever use all that force of yours to do some dishes! :D

14. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Nice guy as in soft mannered extrovert male person. Clear now?

You interpreted my words in the most nefarious way possible, implied I am insulting to people and taken what I said out of context. And you have done this repeatedly now. I remember you of the villain discussion we had where you thought that using character templates was evil stereotyping.

In fairy tales there usually are no divorces. Cheating, yes, death, yes, murder, yes, but no divorces. Divorces are too mundane, not dramatic enough.

As for realism that was never what Star Wars is really about. There's just enough realism to suspend you disbelief, but its foundation rests on concepts like destiny and meaning.

Maybe as a joke, but not in a serious fashion.

Ryus likes this.
  15. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    No. Still not sure why such a person would automatically want to marry.

If you think I'm out to get you, there's really not much I can do about that, especially if you are going to assume that when I have never said anything about you personally, nor do I know enough about you to do so.

The fact that I can't stand stereotypes has permeated several conversations that I've had here, I don't know why you're taking that personally.

And Star Wars isn't reality based, but I don't think that means Luke has to marry. And correct me if I'm wrong, but I somehow doubt that those who are such strong proponents of Luke marrying, would want him to kill his wife.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  16. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Uh, yes it is if that force user is about to be tempted to the dark side. Yoda counciled Anakin when he was veering due to visions, though when the convo started all Yoda only knew Anakin was troubled yet he took the time to council/advice Anakin. Plus a masters role to an apprentice to to guide them on the proper path from whatever troubles they find along the way, be it getting too aggresive when fighting the darkside, how to use diplomacy, or getting interested in someone along the way (in the old republic it was avoid it, now maybe not).

17. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I much prefer that the Jedi focus on saving the galaxy from villains.

kainee, leiamoody and Lee_ like this.
  18. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    You favor the ST over the EU? We know nothing about it.

Obviously you want Luke to stay single then. :p

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  19. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Save the galaxy from villains and save everyone today, help train future Jedi while saving the galaxy from villains and save the galaxy form today to the end of time. :p;)

kainee likes this.
  20. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    I admit my optimism for the ST is coloring my perceptions a bit, lately. Ask me again in 2 years. :)

kainee and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  21. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I don't know what Pro Scoundrel is waiting for... I valued Episode VII over the EU even when there was no conception of Episode VII. :p

22. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Not automatically, but he would probably be more inclined to. What is it with you that you deal with absolutes exclusively?

Lolz, I feel like I took crazy pills. I never said you were out to get me. But if a post bothers you you seem to do your darndest to dissect it for anything that you could take as evil stereotyping or insults. That in itself is already an agenda. Tolerance seems awfully important to you except when you yourself are having a conversation.

JainaSoloYJK and Ryus like this.
  23. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    I hope everyone had a Great May the 4th, let's keep the discussion going

24. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    LOL, more of a battle than I discussion I think.

In any case, the OT was mostly not focused on romantic relationships or marriages, so I don't think that is going to make or break the movie. ANH is easily the biggest seller of the series, and didn't have any real love story, so I think that speaks volumes about what is important in SW. Even the Han and Leia thing, while a classic romance piece, was overall quite subtle, not a huge part of the last 2 OT movies. I think it is fair to say the ST can live with or without Luke being married.

25. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Agreed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.