main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Anyone know anything about SW children's books?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by _Catherine_, May 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    I'm a big fan of old OT-era children's books like The Maverick Moon but I haven't read most of the newer ones because I am allegedly an adult. So I wonder if anyone has been keeping up with these. Does anyone have a list of all the illustrated children's books or step-into-reading-type YA books that contain original stories instead of just adapting scenes from the movies or other sources? Failing that, does anyone know which one these particular books do?

Dangers of the Core
    Jar Jar’s Mistake
    Anakin’s Pit Droid
    Anakin’s Race to Freedom
    Anakin's Fate
    Luke’s Fate
    Darth Maul’s Revenge
    Watch Out, Jar Jar!
    Anakin: Apprentice
    Anakin Skywalker: A Jedi Journal

There's also another book I've seen referenced on a few sites but have never been able to find photographic evidence of, called School Days or Return of the Jedi: School Days, apparently featuring the Ewoks. Does anyone know if this is real and is anyone besides me remotely interested?

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    To my knowledge, and maybe I'm not as familiar as I should be...most of the children's stories are adaptations of or spinoffs of movie scenes. Anakin Skywalker: A Jedi Journal is the events of TPM from nine-year-old Anakin's eyes; there is a similar journal for Padme, telling the events of that movie from her eyes.

I keep the Infinities and Slaves of the Republic comics in the library and I've sold the Scholastic step-into-reading books at book fairs; I know that many of those zero in on a particular character or aspect of the movies.

I'll see what else I can find out because you've piqued my interest now; that's what I know off the top of my head.

3. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I think the only one I have is Anakin's Fate. It's mostly an original story, but seems to borrow some elements from Terry Brooks' novelisation. I don't have either on hand, so I can't really compare them.

4. KamSolusar

KamSolusar Jedi Grand Master star 2

Mar 8, 2001
    I think that's another book.

Anakin Skywalker: A Jedi Journal is essentially a notebook with lots of drawings and notes from his time as a padawan at the temple between TPM and AOTC, including adventures from other YA books.

Luke's Fate retells an event from the ANH radio drama.

Anakin: Apprentice is - AFAIR - several pretty short adventures that take place between TPM and AOTC - Anakin tinkering with a droid that suddenly attacks Mace Windu; Anakin and Obi-Wan visiting Ilum; Anakin participating in a race in the garbage pits. The last one could be the same one as in Rogue Planet, so I'm not sure if the other adventures are new or taken from other books as well.

5. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I have Anakin's Pit Droid. It's a gripping thriller of a yarn detailing the dramaz btwn Gasgano and Ody Mandrell as Anakin's heinous pit droid drags their lives down into a living hell.

All in 10 pages.

6. Plaristes

Plaristes Jedi Master star 3

Jul 2, 2007
    I believe I can construct a list of all the original stories. I'll try to do so later today.

_Catherine_ likes this.
  7. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I do think the Anakin: Apprentice copies from other books, in that I'm fairly sure the Ilum section is from the first Jedi Quest book, and the pit racing segment is definitely from Rogue Planet because I remember the Blood Carver guy from RP being involved.

8. Plaristes

Jul 2, 2007
    I can't promise this is comprehensive, but the following is a list of all of the children's books that to my knowledge contain, in whole or in part, original stories (not including young adult novels and choose-your-own-adventure/decide-your-destiny books):

Droids
    Escape from the Monster Ship
    Shiny as a Droid

Ewoks
    The Adventures of Teebo: A Tale of Magic and Suspense
    The Baby Ewoks' Picnic Surprise
    The Ewok Who was Afraid
    The Ewoks' Hang-Gliding Adventure
    Fuzzy as an Ewok
    How the Ewoks Saved the Trees: An Old Ewok Legend
    Three Cheers for Kneesaa!
    Wicket Finds a Way
    Wicket Goes Fishing

TCW
    A Jedi Adventure in 3-D
    Journey through Hyperspace
    The Way of the Warrior

TPM
    Anakin to the Rescue
    Anakin's Fate
    Anakin's Pit Droid
    Catch That Pit Droid!
    Darth Maul's Revenge (not exactly original, but includes scenes from the Maul journal)
    Droids Everywhere!
    Gungan Trouble!
    Meet the Jedi High Council
    Queen in Disguise
    The Queen's Amulet

Other
    Adventure in Beggar's Canyon
    Adventures in Colors and Shapes
    Anakin: Apprentice
    Droid World (not actually original, but adapts a Marvel issue)
    Han Solo's Rescue Mission
    Jabba's Palace Pop-up Book
    Jango Fett: Bounty Hunter
    Luke Skywalker's Race against Time
    Luke's Fate (featuring crossdressing Windy)
    The Maverick Moon
    Meltdown on Hoth
    The Mystery of the Rebellious Robot
    Planet of the Hoojibs (not actually original, but adapts a Marvel issue)
    Watch Out for the Wookiee
    The Wookiee Storybook

As Abel Pena has discussed recently here and on facebook, there are apparently also some Spanish-language original Droids children's books that contain new stories (or at least some new info included within adaptations), but I don't really know much of anything about them since I don't read Spanish and have never seen these books myself.

9. _Catherine_

Jun 16, 2007
    Whoa, that's a lot more than I thought. Thanks so much for the list!

10. _Catherine_

Jun 16, 2007
    Double-posted by accident but since this post is here, do you have any more information on Watch Out for the Wookiee? It's not on Wookieepedia and I can't find much about it online. I've also seen a pop-up book called Heroes in Hiding. I don't own it, but as I recall it's about what R2-D2 and C-3PO did after they got kicked out of the cantina. Is any of that original content?

11. Plaristes

Jul 2, 2007
  12. Suikoman444

Suikoman444 Jedi Master

Sep 8, 2009
    Great list Plaristes. I've been trying to make one myself so that I could try to collect all the ones that tell a new story, but have had a tough time figuring out what's what from just online descriptions. Going to look into getting more of the stuff from that list now.

13. Giovs

Giovs Jedi Master star 3

Apr 29, 2013
    Rebel Forces is pretty good.
    And I've also read Adventures in Hyperspace because I'm a Han Solo and Chewie fan.

14. Suikoman444

Suikoman444 Jedi Master

Sep 8, 2009
    Was able to get a copy of Watch out for the Wookiee without having to buy the toy. I'll provide some info about it when it arrives here sometime this week, hopefully.

15. Plaristes

Jul 2, 2007
    I look forward to it. :)

16. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    There's also the Star Wars Missions/Episode I Adventures/Star Wars Adventures story/gamebook series (though some of the E1As are just TPM adaptations, there are original stories too).

17. _Catherine_

Jun 16, 2007
    I have Adventures series. Are the Missions books structured the same way, linear stories with optional RPG sections, or are they more like choose-your-own-adventure books?

18. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    IIRC they were linear.

19. Suikoman444

Suikoman444 Jedi Master

Sep 8, 2009
    I have the whole set of Mission books. They're very similar to the Adventures series. They have basic RPGing within the text, so the story changes slightly based on how you roll, if you decide to play along.

20. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The story has the same outcome, but along the way there's slight branching in the middle depending on your accuracy or special powers (usually you either end up shooting somebody or shooting a tree or brick that then falls on them ;) ).

Unlike the E1 Adventures series, though, the game content is the same book as the story, as opposed to the separate books that make acquiring that series on ebay so maddening.

21. Suikoman444

Suikoman444 Jedi Master

Sep 8, 2009
    Yeah, that for sure has been a huge pain. Over the years I've been able to find all the novel books for Adventures , but I only have run across 2 of the game books

22. Suikoman444

Suikoman444 Jedi Master

Sep 8, 2009
    Watch Out for the Wookiee arrived today. It's definitely it's own story. It's 24 pages.

A basic summary is: Han and Chewbacca are on Tatooine and they need to escape from some Stormtroopers who are looking for them. Page 4-5 is a little maze through Mos Eisely that is meant for some interactivity, I guess. They escape to their ship and fly into space where they run across a Star Destroyer. Their Hyperdrive doesn't work so they are forced to land on a nearby planet with a forest. Han has Chewbacca leave the ship while he works on fixing the Hyperdrive. While he's doing so, Imperials surround the Falcon and take Han off in handcuffs. Before they can take him very far, Chewbacca comes back with an army of wookiees who easily defeat the Imperials. The wookiees appear to take all the Imperials into custody while Han and Chewbacca fly off.

So yeah, that's it. They don't name the planet, but it's apparently close enough to Tatooine that they don't need to go into Hyperspace to get there, and it apparently has a nice sized population of Wookiees.

TalonCard and Plaristes like this.
  23. Suikoman444

Suikoman444 Jedi Master

Sep 8, 2009
    I just purchased the two versions of The Way of the Warrior, the personalized Clone Wars book. They'll arrive sometime within the next week, it sounds like. From the descriptions, it seems like the two of them are the Light and Dark side of the same story and therefore have contradicting stories with one another. Is the light side one canon, like seems to normally be the case when there is a choice?

24. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Of all the Star Wars-themed kiddie books, I'm fond of Anakin to the Rescue for ONE reason: it has the Imperial Palace in it, or should I say the Presidential Palace (as it was known at the time). In that book, Anakin's eye get attracted by the sight of the Palace, and the boy gets lost in the streets of Coruscant while trying to reach "that sparkling building." Quite ironic; isn't it? He didn't know that place would become his future master's throne some time in the future...
    [​IMG]

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  25. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    This is the stuff:

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.