main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Test your social intelligence

Discussion in 'Community' started by solojones, May 5, 2013.

1. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    A professor at Harvard is conducting a social intelligence study, as was posted on reddit last week I think. Anyway, you can participate in the study here, and you'll also get your result. I'm curious to see how this group that would be stereotyped as having poor social intelligence actually does.

The average score is 26/36. I got 32. Does this mean I fail at being an internet nerd who can use self-diagnosed Aspergers as my excuse for not going outside? :(

2. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
  3. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Never fear, I got 30. That felt like one of those behavioral surveys employers often attach to applications- you know you're getting the same question over and over again, just with different words.

4. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    33/36.w00t

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    29, which is more than I expected given that I got really impatient halfway through :p

6. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    33/36

The one thing I learned from this test is that after a while pictures of eyes only look freaking weird.

7. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    It's nothing to do with having some condition, it's just that no-one out there is cool enough to hang with us :p

Anyway, I got 31/36

8. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    35/36

9. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    29/36 on this nonsensical test.

10. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Gotta agree that it's nonsensical. I mean, where did the images come from? Were the people in the images assigned to a particular emotion ("okay, now I want you to feel despondent")? If so, the emotions that are supposed to be portrayed can't really be all that genuine.

11. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Your score on this test was 32 out of 36.

I would have liked to have seen the answers at the end with the whole face next to each set of eyes.

12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    28/36

I agree; I like to think I'm a pretty good "reader" of people but looking at the eyes only is very different from seeing the entire face.

13. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    That would **** up their study, though.

14. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    31/36. It's good to know that I'm not actually socially awkward. And all this time...

I'm going to print these results out and put them next to my iq test result(which was 188 if anyone is curious about that).

15. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
  16. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
  17. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    2/36. i thought all those people wanted to have sex with me, but i guess only two of them did. :(

siha, ophelia, yankee8255 and 9 others like this.
  18. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    No doubt it's a simple test of how likely heterosexual men are to believe that a woman who stares them directly in the eye is flirting or attracted.

I mean, isn't it pretty stupid to suggest that people only read or primarily read emotions from the eyes and not every available sensory input? The only interesting thing about these pictures was whether the image seemed to be male or female and whether they were staring directly into the camera or away.

19. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I thought the same thing.

20. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Of course you did. They might as well have asked "on a scale of 1 to 10, how badly does the person in the photo want to have sex with you." And then the result is correlated with the number of hours a week you spend on a computer.

siha and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  21. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
  22. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    26/36 which is odd, because 1. this kind of crap is a large part of my profession and 2. a few of you with severely lacking social skills did far better than me.

Ender_Sai likes this.
  23. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Huh, 30/36. Something must be off, I'm outrageously bad at looking people in the eye.

Darth_Deception likes this.
  24. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    I got a 31.

Am I the only one who thought that the women were far harder to read than the men? Maybe it's the makeup but I found I had a lot harder time trying to guess the emotion on display. I would have liked to see a breakdown of my results based on the male and female images, but it doesn't look as though that is possible.

Edit: I was thinking of writing to the creators of the test, though, to ask them why they only used the faces of Caucasian people (at least, that's all I got). I would think that it might be more relevant to use a wider range of faces, but I don't want to seem like I'm the Political Correctness police.

Point Given likes this.
  25. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I got 21/36, just a bit below average. I wish it would show you which ones you got right or wrong, though.

Darth_Deception likes this.