main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Star Wars: The Clone Wars nominated for seven daytime Emmys

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Convor, May 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    LOL, you are too cute. Yeah, back on topic.

Witwer shouldn't win but in fairness to him, Maul shouldn't have been resurrected and The Son shouldn't have existed so it's not entirely his fault.

JAT is really talented. I heard a C5 interview with him in which he talked about voicing Obi-Wan by trying to emulate both McGregor and Guinness.

2. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Plo Koon is my favorite, and Sam nailed Maul... so, either one of those would please me.

3. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    JAT really shows his range in going back and forth between Plo and Obi-Wan, as they sound really different.

In that same interview he also did a voice over of David Spade, which was ****ing hilarious.

KenobiSkywalker likes this.
  4. Kev Snowmane

Kev Snowmane Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2013
    Meanwhile, still overlooking Eckstein and Lanter, who are way better than the nominees to hand.

5. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Talking into a microphone is hard. ;)

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  6. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Yep, no range whatsoever there. I like Anakin's TCW character (obviously) but Lanter doesn't deserve a VA award for it. And Eckstein...yeah, no.

At least Witwer can VA two characters although they are similar.

GGrievous likes this.
  7. darkchrono

darkchrono Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005
    Although the voice fits Ahsoka well Eckstein pretty much just uses her real life voice for Ahsoka. Don't know about Lanter but I do know Eckstein really doesn't change her voice at all for Ahsoka's character.

8. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Yep, see GG's post about talking into a microphone.

9. Kev Snowmane

Jan 1, 2013
    Anyone who can watch that final scene in S5 and say Lanter and Eckstein don't deserve Emmys is just not playing with a full deck...

Witwer is good. They're better. And nominating Cummings (for Hondo) is insane. I actually had to look up the droid...another bad pick.

10. Kev Snowmane

Jan 1, 2013
    duplicate post

11. Kev Snowmane

Jan 1, 2013
    So? It isn't about "changing her voice" it's about the quality of the voice acting. Someone can do some funky accent or dialect but if they aren't a good ACTOR then it's still just dead readings in a funky accent or dialect.

12. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    I personally agree with the nominations for TCW and I feel that this show should have been nominated a long time ago (Ryloth, Geonosis, Nightsisters, Wasskah, and Umbara come to mind). But people are entitled to their opinion, there really shouldn't be a shouting match about that.

13. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    Both well deserved. I absolutely love the way these two say, "Kenobi". I think Jim Cummings is the best voice actor ever, and I think Sam has potential to be one of the all-time greats.

Seerow and SithStarSlayer like this.
  14. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Jim Cumming's Hondo is epic win. He's a large part of what makes Hondo so cool. Hondo's voice is a modified version of Darn Karnage in Talespin which makes him even more delightful. - "I'm flying!" is one of the shows funniest moments for sure.

15. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
  16. Kev Snowmane

Jan 1, 2013
    Hondo is a stock "jovial but dangerous bad guy". Been done before, and will be again. There's nothing innovative or special about him, nor is there any particularly weighty material given for the voice actor to present.

You simply cannot say the same about Eckstein and Lanter. They ARE given dramatically weighty material to present, and they both do so with aplomb and sincerity.

Again, look at the final scenes of Season 5. Those are not pixels of color and computer geometry. They're living, breathing characters brought to life by the power of the voice performances.

The only other voice actor I've ever heard who could do that is Kevin Conroy (Batman/Bruce Wayne in the "Timm-verse/DCAU).

17. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Hondo's voice is not stock jovial bad guy voice. It is Jim Cumming's Disney afternoon pirate voice amped up for a more serious character. He is one of the most accomplished VAs in all of western animation IMO. the measure of a great VA is his range outside of his normal speaking voice and ability to stay in voice and keep a specific vocal style for the character throughout a performance. Listen to things like when complex words are pronounced. Jim Cummings does this incrediblely with Hondo and does a great job giving the character a slightly insane, neither good guy nor bad guy feel in voice alone. If this were a radio show I'd feel Hando's less than clear cut intentions, not just a happy and dangerous bad guy.

Yes Lanter and Eckstein gave great performances in the finale, very emotional however I have more appreciation for VAs with range who actually have to change their voice. Really I think the best VA in all of TCW is Dee Bradley Baker. You want to talk talent? Check out what this guy does with the clone troopers where he can take a single voice which isn't his natural speaking voice and is one not presently heard anywhere else in animation and modify it ever so slightly with a slightly different accent or tone or different pronunciations to make different identical clones sound distinct on scene. Check out the dinner table scene in "The Deserter" for an example of this where Cut and Rex sound quite distinct when they are talking. Take a look at Umbara where the same thing was done with about five clones on screen at the same time.

QuangoFett and Circular_Logic like this.
  18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    On the boldfaced that is mine: yes, yes, and yes.

Confession: I still haven't seen the Umbara arc. I need to finish my run-through of Season 4, too much else has been happening lately.

I'm going to call Dee Bradley Baker talented based on what I know of him.

19. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    Just for the sake of example.

Only one line in this video was spoken by Jeremy Irons. The rest was by Jim Cummings. See if you can tell where Cummings begins and Irons ends. Jim's just that talented. I wouldn't say Hondo is his finest achievement. But he's exceptionally charismatic in his delivery and it takes a lot of skill to capture the character's radical mood swings so well.

20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Another thing: Ian Abercrombie should get a post-humous award for his outstanding VA.

21. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    [​IMG]
    Another great example is this guy from Chip 'n' Dale Rescue Rangers. Monterey Jack was originally voiced by Peter Cullen but later Jim Cummings takes over. Their voice work in CDRR very difficult to distinguish.

Barriss_Coffee and Chewgumma like this.
  22. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    Exactly. And yet another example, again a musical one from a big budget 90's animated feature:

Jim Cummings took over from David Lloyd for this song in Anastasia. It's just amazing work what he can do with his voice.

Barriss_Coffee and Seerow like this.
  23. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Yeah in other words the lesson learned here is if you got a song to sing and your VA isn't up for it or if you have a VA quit on you, hire Jim Cummings.

Barriss_Coffee and Chewgumma like this.
  24. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    That or random spitting and gobbledygook.

[​IMG]

(The moment I found out Cummings voiced Taz in the 90's I swear I could feel my childhood enhance ten-fold. :p)

Okay that's the last example. I swear.O:)

Seerow likes this.
  25. Kev Snowmane

Jan 1, 2013
    I'm not talking about the technical merits of his physical voice, I'm talking about the character Hondo. There's nothing special about him. He's a plot device/menace, and little more. He has no important scenes is given no significant or weighty dialogue.

That to me does not spell "Emmy winner". That spells "stock villain".

Now here you have a point as far as characters go, and in a previous post I indicated that DBB definitely deserved an Emmy nod (for Cody and Rex in particular).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.