main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph A Song of Ice and Fire Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by -RebelScum-, Jan 3, 2006.

1. BootlegVader

BootlegVader Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2004
    Moreover, next week is the GRRM episode and those are always the best.

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    So that was... really different.

The second I saw Mel I was like what. And I continued thinking that for the next ten minutes. I guess it's good that this is the only episode I didn't watch with a live audience of n00bs because they might've been confused by how surprised I was.

3. BootlegVader

Aug 3, 2004
    They did a real disservice to the BWB by having them just hand over Gendry like that, as it really diminishes how they were primarily based around serving the weak and unprotected.

4. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    So, will he still end up at an inn looking over a litter of orphans with a hot, fellow teenager? I suppose time will tell. But it looks like he might be learning his heritage a little early. It does make me wonder how far into Davos' story they're going to get this season. If Gendry is taking the place of Edric, will he even be learning about Mel's plan this season? Four episodes left, will he get to the point where he even raises his objections against it? It'll be interesting to see where they go with this.

5. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    They are really dragging out the Sam the Slayer plot line, aren't they? I guess with Sam showing the dragonglass dagger to Gilly, the gun is finally on the mantle, so to speak.

6. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    hapen in the final episodes, odds of it.

7. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Coldhands appears in the eighth ep, IIRC. So it will probably be before that.

8. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    Right? I was practically yelling at the TV for Sam to be the Slayre *laughs*

9. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I also thought that they were going to be attacked by wildlings quite early in the episode, but then nothing.

And eventhough the scene was great I don't like that Tyrion tells Sansa that they are getting married. I loved the chapter in the book, and I was looking forward to seeing Sansa go through the realisation of what's happening to her, and then refusing to kneel when Tyrion wants to place the cloak on her. It was such a proud Stark moment, and it happen instinctly, now she will have time to plan her reactions.

10. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    Legitimized? Whatever. Lyanna was a plural wife on the dl to Rhaegar. No need for legitimization.

11. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I totally agree. I had kinda hoped Tyrion would chicken out of it, but it seems like he didn't.

12. BootlegVader

Aug 3, 2004
    It is stuff like that which has really put me off on show's Tyrion, as they refuse to show him as anything grey or complex. Basically, he seems more the son of Ned Stark then Tywin Lannister with all the noble goodness they have him solely perform.

This becomes especially agitating seeing how they have also made good characters like Robb, Catelyn, and Blackfish appear as more jerks and greyer characters then him. Thus, he looks even better.

13. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Holy crap. Montie totally nailed it:

[face_hypnotized]

14. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Weren't Targ polygamous marriages outlawed after one of their civil wars?

15. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    I wouldn't put it past Rhaegar if he's hellbent on prophecy, however.

16. BootlegVader

Aug 3, 2004
    Isn't running off with another man's betrothed also likely illegal? Also, Rhaegar couldn't legitimized Jon if he is bastard only the King can do that.

17. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Maybe Rhaegar gave his daddy something to burn in exchange?

18. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    Almost finished reading A Feast for Crows (second half saves that book so damned much) and I really hope they keep any scenes involving Robin to a minimum. What a thoroughly insufferable character. Though I like the Sansa/Alayne chapters, if I have to see that little twerp thrashing and nestling into her tits as much as I have to read about it then it's really going to make those episodes drag.

19. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    I was more afraid that they were actually going to make him a Karstark.

Especially after the Gendry/Melisandre thing. I realize Edric Storm is a tertiary character at best, but writing him out like that annoys me, if only because the writers have at least a vague idea of how the series ends. And whenever there's a change like this, it makes me think there's going to be no significant resolution to some minor plot in the books. Unless there is more to Edric Storm than just hiding in Lys, in which case the writers are going to have to wedge that in somewhere down the road.

Amazing.

20. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yep. And of course, they'll do that scene in such a way that makes Sansa look like a total ***** to poor nice Tyrion.

Obi Anne and krtmd like this.
  21. BootlegVader

Aug 3, 2004
    As mentioned earlier, the thing with Gendry that is most annoying to me is how it derails the character of the BWB as noble organization dedicated to protecting the needy and weak. Maybe, instead of pointless scenes of Theon being tortured every week(that can be better spread out) and lame Pod sex jokes they could have tried to build up the nobility of the BWB.

Or maybe stop treating Catelyn and Robb like they are minor and unimportant characters.

krtmd likes this.
  22. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Agreed. I hope at this point that they just let things with Theon go black, as Martin did in the novels. The first trick, with the pretend "escape" was pretty clever, but otherwise it's just gruesome, repetitive, and pointless. Just skip to the effects at the end, and the viewer's imagination will be worse than anything they could actually "show" us. I hope we don't see anymore of that.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  23. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Well, the flaying was yet another clue to the audience as to the torturer's identity.

24. BootlegVader

Aug 3, 2004
    Yeah, to bad the preview for next week hints at more Theon torturing with the possibility of a particularly harsh punishment that I have absolute no interest seeing or even being implied.

25. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    How much does that even matter, though? His identity is only useful as a clue to some things that the show is already telegraphing independently. That besides, the mystery is hampered by the indistinctness of the characters in this mega-cast. I don't feel like it's an entirely fair, interesting, or productive game for non-reading watchers to play. They may as well move it along and let people be surprised at the reveal, instead of trying to spoon-feed "clues" and let them figure it out.

Also, from earlier, I'll agree with the Brotherhood without Borders. I've never been much enamored of them, so it doesn't bother me too much, but I don't quite see their point in the show. They're as self-interested as everyone else. They've already had separate scenes in the show highlighting atrocities by ostensible "good guys" so their whole purpose in that respect is redundant, too.