main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph JJ Abrams' Star Trek Into Darkness

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ulkesh2, Sep 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I'll give you Matilda, but the rest of it? Really? :eek:

2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Yes it's all an elaborate conspiracy set up by Lucasfilm.

Juliet316 likes this.
  3. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    How do you know they didn't see it?

(though the joke stands! ;) )

4. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Fixed for accuracy ;)

5. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    So, back to the "ths doesn't feel like Star Trek and more like Star Wars" vibe that people were complaining about:

[​IMG]

I don't recall anything like this in the original series or movies; the closest I can remember is First Contact and granted, this is without context, but these are the PRODUCER released photos -- so this is the type of vibe they themselves are pushing...

6. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    It's clearly not Star Wars though, because Spock is in it :p

Juliet316 likes this.
  7. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jedi Merkurian and DarthBoba like this.
  8. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Your first image doesn't work, but I'm specifically talking about the guns / shoot-shoot-shoot mentality they seem to be angling for.

Kirk with his shirt off and bloodied is a running gag; THAT I would expect!

[​IMG]

"I see you managed to get your shirt off!"

9. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I love Galaxy Quest more than anything.

Darth_Invidious and dp4m like this.
  10. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Love Galaxy Quest!

I was trying to show a picture of the phaser rifle from "Where No Man Goes Before"

dp4m likes this.
  11. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Galaxy Quest is simply the best Trek movie that never was. :cool:

12. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    And that's fair -- but what I was going for wasn't that there weren't ever guns/phasers/etc. used (in TOS, even in the movies, etc.). But the vibe just seems different somehow. The only time I can recall -- and admittedly my memory may be faulty -- where the "action-oriented' captain (Kirk) ever went with a "shoot first" mentality was in both The Search fof Spock (though probably justified in the sense of everyone was pretty sure the Klingons on the planet wanted them all dead) and The Final Frontier (rescue mission).

And I don't EVER recall Spock like that. Granted, this is a Spock who has watched his homeworld die -- so some changes are warranted -- but probably not the ones that made him a Vulcan.

I dunno, maybe I'm overthinking and maybe I'm too nostalgic for what made Star Trek Star Trek but at least with DS9 and things like that I knew I would be getting something different, as opposed to something that is supposed to represent something we are supposed to be at least relvatively familiar with...

EDIT: Yes, Galaxy Quest is still the best Star Trek sequel since The Undiscovered Country... ;)

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  13. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    These are younger versions though.

Even in WOK Kirk is talking about being old, and he still has another 5 movies in him by that stage :p
    It's no surprise younger Kirk & Spock are more inclined to shoot things, the generally younger cast in TNG did a lot of phaser-firing

14. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Yes, but did younger Kirk and Spock do that on the show either? :p

15. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    They weren't really young in TOS, just less old than in the movies :p

I'm talking young young Kirk & Spock, as we see in the new movies.

16. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Kirk took command (Shatner) in 2264; he enlisted five years earlier than NuKirk (2250).

NuKirk did the Academy at 2255 and took command in 2258. And in all of Prime Kirk's descriptions it neeeeeeeeeeeever made him sound like a shoot-first, action-guy. Just a bare-knuckled, take my shirt off and get the girl guy... ;)

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  17. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Bare-knuckled is cool and all that, but that seems out of place in a time when most enemies have phaser weapons of some kind. Han Solo is tough kind of guy who likes to throw a punch, but he knows to shoot when it is called for since most of his enemies have blasters.

TOS is a product of its time, low budget naturally means less of the shooting (compare action and effects of current era Doctor Who and the classic era). Are you saying TNG and the rest are not Trek because they have lots of guys running about having shootouts all the time?
    Not having phaser battles is not what sets Trek apart from Wars, it's the adventure & exploration aspect vs the mystical generational stuff.

I'm sure had TOS been made in more recent times it would have been like the other Trek series and recent movies.

18. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    See, but that's a product of the creator's ideals. Even TNG was more centered around Roddenbury-type ideals, even when the guys fired phasers -- it still usually wasn't the first, second (or sometimes third) options.

And look at The Trouble with Tribbles. It's a bar brawl. No knives, no guns -- bare-knuckled. And that's in a setting where "most enemies have phaser weapons of some kind." Even in Picard's era, his artificial heart is due to a knife wound in a bar brawl vs. a phaser fight in a bar. Contrast with Han with shooting someone dead in a bar...

I'm not saying they never used phasers or used force to solve problems -- I'm just saying that the vibe here seems to be more action-oriented, especially towards problem-solving, as depicted with Spock being confused with offering Nero mercy in the first film.

19. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    You've got to revive the franchise some way, it wasn't exactly doing well the way it was.

I hope there will be scenes in the new Trek movie where Kirk has to brawl with a couple of big dudes (Spock at least got to beat him up in the last movie). But it does make sense that if you advance on enemies with phaser weapons they will attempt to shoot at you rather than punch you.

I'd be happy with more of this (especially from Sulu)

20. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    did anyone else see the extended trailer from the Ironman 3 movie?

21. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Yeah I think so. It might've been the regular one though.

22. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    I never saw English-Khans ship before, it wasn't Narada huge but it was pretty big.

23. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Seemed like an extended version that I saw with IM3. Was Kirk's "I'm sorry" line in the versions that are online?

24. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
  25. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Aren't you kinda assuming that that pic represents a shoot-first mentality when we lack the context of the moment's circumstances we're looking at?

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.