main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Filming to begin early next year

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Kuestmaster, May 6, 2013.

1. Kuestmaster

Kuestmaster Jedi Master star 2

Nov 17, 2012
  2. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    No shock there. No way would they be able to film this year like some fans wanted. Early next year gives them enough time to get the casting, filming locations, script and all that fun stuff done without rushing too much.

Jedirush2112 likes this.
  3. facebook

facebook Jedi Knight

Oct 16, 2012
    I'm surprised they didn't use May the Fourth for an announcement that there will soon be an announcement. That's what I'd do if I were Disney. Tell the fans "yes, we will film this soon, and we'll let you know when in a few months!"

themetresgained likes this.
  4. Ridley Solo

Ridley Solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2010
    Oh, good. Filming next year. What I wouldn't give to be a fly on the wall!

I HOPE we get a casting announcement soon! Then again once we have the cast nailed down I'm going to go into hiding to avoid spoilers until the trailers are released, so...:p

5. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    If its not filming until early next year I wouldn't expect any casting announcements until very late 2013 or early 2014 (unless they decide to announce Hamill, Fisher, and Ford early for promotional purposes or something), so don't get your hopes up for casting any time soon.

Feelicks likes this.
  6. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    This doesn't shock me at all. With Episodes 2 and 3 filming started normally about a year/year and a half before the projected release date.

7. Hopalong Hutt

Hopalong Hutt Jedi Youngling

May 6, 2013
    At least now we have an idea of when filming will begin :)

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  8. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Yeah, it's great to get even a broad timeline at least. It can't be too long now before they start casting. It will be fun to start hearing those rumors. Or torture. :p

9. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Not quite. Shooting for both Episode II and Episode III started 23 months before release, with principal photography being finished about 20 months before release. If they would follow the pattern of the prequels, shooting would need to start end of June this year. Definately a different approach this time around.

10. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    That's the classic Disney approach they take with Marvel too. Avengers began filming less than a year before it was actually released, and Avengers 2 is beginning filming around the time Episode VII is going to be released.

Can't wait for the blurry set pictures!

11. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    They should just do it all at the last minute.

12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Good to get some official info on the timeline. I admit that there is a part of me that wondered if this was all a giant hoax. Or that Abrams would change his mind, the movie would be postponed "indefinitely," etc.

That said, I'll also be hiding after casting announcements in order to avoid spoilers.

Feelicks, eht13 and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  13. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    We can begin to solve this puzzle: It was JJ Abrams, early next year, in Scotland, with the candlestick.

14. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Wait, isn't Avengers 2 set to release in summer 2015 too? So they can't be beginning filming around the time Episode VII is being released. I had read that Avengers 2 was set to begin shooting in early 2014.

At any rate, these are remarkably tight timelines in which to make movies like this.

15. Luke Heffernan

Luke Heffernan Jedi Youngling

Apr 29, 2013
    Yes Avengers 2 will be filming February 2014.

eht13 likes this.
  16. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    So they're basicly filming around the same time. I smell crossover! Or at least some joke video of the Avengers cast vs Star wars cast cause that would be awesome :D

17. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    I'm assuming you mean "Episode VII is being filmed", not "released".

Anyways, they can very easily film The Avengers 2 and Star Wars Episode VII at the same time. None of the talent overlaps, and odds are they will be filming in entirely different locations. Sure, they're both being funded by Disney, but that's about the only connection between the two.

Also, I wouldn't call it a "tight" timeline. Its average for this kind of movie.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  18. PrincessKenobi

Aug 12, 2000
    He is probably talking about actual filming to began around then. Principal photography will probably began late this year, along with other aspects of production that have to be done before they began filming.

19. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Yes, I meant they would be filming at the same time, that was my point (and I never said they couldn't film both at the same time). I was addressing a post saying they would begin filming A2 much later than I thought they would be.

20. KED12345

Sep 10, 2012
    That's what happens when you throw a lot of money at something - suddenly it doesn't take three years to make the same movie.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  21. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    True, but the total cost to make the movie wouldn't really change. In fact, it could actually cost less if you can get it all done in a smaller timeframe. Just interesting, anyway, because it seems like a lot of the steps taken have to be one after another.

22. Darth_Zidious

Darth_Zidious Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2001
    Holy cow! Will this film have any special effects?

23. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I'm guessing yes. ;)

24. KED12345

Sep 10, 2012
    Does Marvel movies have special effects? They're filmed similarly. :)

25. PrincessKenobi

Aug 12, 2000
    I imagine with the advances in technology since Rots it won't take near as long to add cgi as it use too.