main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO EA acquires Star Wars gaming licence

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by spicer, May 6, 2013.

1. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    BoromirsFan likes this.
  2. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    This will go well considering the backlash they got over Sim City....

3. CaptainRegor

CaptainRegor Jedi Master star 3

Nov 15, 2012
    I think it's good news. As much as I want to hate on EA I think they could pull it off. Or maybe I'm just optimistic as they mentioned DICE as one of the producers I hope it is a hint to Battlefront 3.

As well as SWTOR is fun but I do miss the SWG space and sand box feel

4. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    BioWare is involved and so is DICE. I'm sold.

5. DarthBrian

DarthBrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    Ugh.

But at least it's not Activision.

Lazy Storm Trooper likes this.
  6. AkshayTheJedi

AkshayTheJedi Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 12, 2013
    I'm really happy about Dice also being involved. We might see an amazing FPS. Everyonr knows Battlefield 3 is simply a beautiful game.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk 2

7. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    This is actually one of the best things to happen to the Star Wars license in a long time. I was really depressed when LucasArts was shut down, but that was more or less over nostalgia of the brand name (which may still be kept).

This deal means a few things:

PROS:
    1) We will continue to get core Star Wars experiences (AAA games, if you will) to augment the "casual" games Disney gives us on the iOS and Facebook.
    2) 1313 and First Assault have a very big chance of getting published by EA. Boba Fett = money. EA likes money.
    3) We will get a large number of Star Wars games from different studios instead of having a minimal number of internalized games. Visceral Games is one of the most talented developers out there. Plus we got Bioware making more games.
    4) EA knows EXACTLY what we as gamers want and are even open to suggestions. With this said there is no chance in hell we AREN'T getting Battlefront III and KOTOR III.

CONS:
    1) Paid DLC will probably be more commonplace even though it was already in motion at LucasArts with all those pointless add ons for The Force Unleashed.
    2) You can say EA's reputation is tarnished by the recent Sim City launch but I doubt they will repeat the same mistake.

...and thats pretty much it. In the end this deal can only mean good things. :D

8. TheRevanchist

TheRevanchist Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 13, 2012
    Pros: It could have been both EA and Activision

Cons: It is EA

9. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    Didn't the dude in your AV 1st appear in an EA game?

10. TheRevanchist

TheRevanchist Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 13, 2012
    BioWare was purchased a few years after Kotor. Was ruined after Mass Effect 2.

11. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    Lets see....

EA has (and according to the press release, will use) devs like Visceral, DICE, and Bioware to make big budget AAA Star Wars games.

Compare that to the lucasarts general strategy of "lets sit on the greatest gaming IP of all time and not do anything with it other than a crappy Kinect game and tease fans with awesome trailers for games that we'll inevitably cancel".

Yeah, I'd say this is a big improvement. Welcome to a big new era of Star Wars gaming.

12. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    I stand corrected.

13. Disciple-of-Tython

Disciple-of-Tython Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 12, 2006
    I know people hate EA BUT this means Dice (maybe Battlefront III or a new Jedi Knight game) & Bioware (Hopefully an actual KotOR sequel!). I'm actually cool with this.

darklordoftech likes this.
  14. Vastor

Vastor Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    This is a dark and evil day, EA the most greedy and worst company on earth will rape starwars even more after what they and bioware did with swtor.

15. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I hope this means 1313 comes out.

Both DICE & Visceral were mentioned in the press release which suggests we still get more games aimed at a wider audience than just children. Bioware of course did KOTOR which was brilliant and do TOR which is good, plus other stuff like Mass Effect which is great too.

EA will probably make their PC stuff Origin exclusive and charge too for important DLC stuff, but there are worse things that could have happened.

16. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    LucasArts failed so much that I willingly embrace the cold and evil arms of EA.

This is good news though. It means we will likely get a large stream of videogames from competent developers. (well, mostly competent).

They could alternate Battlefield 4 and Star wars battlefront every year! Those would sell!

17. Sith_Knight087

Sith_Knight087 Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 5, 2012
    As long as there's no always on DRM in the games, I'm fine with it.

18. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I don't hate EA, as seems to be popular these days. EA have published a lot of games that I love and they own developers that I love too. Considering who will actually be making the games I see this as a good thing for Star Wars gaming. I look forward to seeing what they come up with.

Skywalker_T-65 and DarkEagle like this.
  19. hunter77

hunter77 Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 8, 2012
    Im not a fan of EA... actually i don't like 'em at all. But still, this is great news. I can't believe we will get more Star Wars games, my hope went when i heard LucasArts was shut down. I thought we would only get mobile and social games, but Bioware, DICE and Visceral?! I can already see DICE making something like Battlefront, and Bioware hopefully making Kotor 3 or some other rpg. And maybe Visceral could make a 3rd person SW game like jedi Academy or maybe even continue on 1313. This is the best Star Wars news for months.. hell for years :p

20. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    Besides the ending, what was wrong with ME3? I liked it.

21. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    hooray, let's handle an exclusive license to the worst rated company in America, who was also the worst rated company in America last year, too!

Where's a barf bag when you need one.

I was really hoping Disney would take a multi-liscensing approach and allow different developers the opportunity to develop games; yes, EA now owns good studios like Bioware, but that still doesn't fill me with confidence with EA in charge of everything.

CassiusClayDarth likes this.
  22. Joe

Joe Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 25, 2012
    Are you ****ing kidding me? They canned the last shot we had at a good BFIII, and now they're mocking us by giving the license to the most hated company in America?

**** you, Disney. **** you.

23. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    Well, didn't see this one coming, sigh.

Maybe they can make some better games then Lucas Arts had been pumping out, but we'll see, I'm holding my judgement until they do something.

Lazy Storm Trooper likes this.
  24. Clone_Cmdr_Wedge

Clone_Cmdr_Wedge Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2006
    Upon hearing this, my first reaction was pretty much this:

[​IMG]

Yeah, EA owning Star Wars gaming license will work out well! I mean, look how Sim City, Dead Space, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, and Ultima turned out.... oh wait....

Second though (in gif form):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    It's a great thing. Better than the alternative/status-quo, yes?