main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO EA acquires Star Wars gaming licence

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by spicer, May 6, 2013.

1. TheCIS

TheCIS Jedi Padawan star 2

Apr 21, 2013
    Well considering what EA did to SimCity (killed it good) and their general fail at things (like eating and spitting out small companies and taking their souls) this is not a good thing.
    Then again, this is Disney, and not a small company to be trifled with. I suspect EA will do their best to make good games here... but i'm wary of them

2. TheRevanchist

TheRevanchist Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 13, 2012
    It wasn't a bad game by any means, but it wasn't even near the quality of the likes of BG2, Kotor, DA:eek:, ME and ME2. Lack of dialogues, lack of customization, side missions were poor etc. The ending was an abomination, but the less we talk about it the better.

3. TheRevanchist

Dec 13, 2012
    Sometimes a bad thing is worse than nothing.

After destroying Mass Effect and Dragon Age (which are some of the best games on the last 5 years) now they probably will do something similar to Kotor.

Hopefully I am wrong and will eat my words though.

Clone_Cmdr_Wedge and Draconarius like this.
  4. hunter77

hunter77 Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 8, 2012
    I think EA will do their best to make these Star Wars games great, it will give them a huge profit. And possible make them look good in our eyes again, but Disney is also a very big company. If they see EA fails to make good/succesfull games, they will not grant them anymore Star Wars licensing. And EA would be left out of the Star Wars market, so i think it's in EA's best interest to make good SW games.

5. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    *gets on Jedi Council Forums, goes into Games forum, sees thread*

:eek:Ohmigosh

Thats all I can say.

Lazy Storm Trooper likes this.
  6. TheRevanchist

Dec 13, 2012
    I think that there is quite a difference between good and successful games (games that get sold a lot). Will EA Star Wars games sell? Yes. Will they be good? I don't think.

The best example for dumb games that are very successful is Call of Duty. So bu that, I think that not giving the license to Activision is the only good thing of these news.

7. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Battlefront will sell loads even if it is just COD in space.

8. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    TIE Fighter: Empire

EA presents Star Wars TIE!

You can buy the Day 1 Fighter DLC for additional cost.

The : Empire part will be available via micro transactions.

9. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    That should be very easy.

10. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    Yes, Republic Commando was the last great game made by LucasArts in my eyes.

spicer likes this.
  11. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    May I point out that EA are in charge of DICE studios. You genuinely think EA are going to leave the BF license dead when they own the company who created the Battlefield franchise (AKA the games that Battlefront rips off)? With Lucasarts' track record on BFIII I think you're much more likely to get it completely developed and released at retail under EA games.

12. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    I completely agree.

13. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    Like I said in the other thread: are you an Origin, Westwood Studios, Pandemic, or Bioware fan? If so, you have pretty good statistical odds for predicting the future direction of Star Wars games. EA to me is Joel Madden NFL. That's the model they like best because it earns them quick churn from armchair quarterbacks too dumb to query the quality of the games they're handed. Richie is right on, above, when he says a Star Wars Battlefront game would do big business no matter what. But that's largely because of the brand and prior rep, not quality of the game itself. The sale is done, anyway, so there's not much point me howling about it. All I'm going to do is stick with my default stance when it comes to games generally and EA games in particular: no pre-order, no reading "reviews" from the industry, waiting until the hype dies down and seeing what actual players think of the game before I go anywhere near it. At the very least I will secure substantial discounts by watching bad games get offloaded by desperate retailers as a bad game tanks. ME 3 taught me that.

14. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    I never did get around to finishing that.

15. Joe

Joe Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 25, 2012
    (It's called an overreaction, my friend. I think we have a 75% shot of a god BFIII from this. That was my gut reaction after hearing this, because I instantly thought of SimCity. ;))

16. TheCIS

TheCIS Jedi Padawan star 2

Apr 21, 2013
    Hear, hear

17. Clone_Cmdr_Wedge

Clone_Cmdr_Wedge Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2006
    QFT. The only (hypothetical, until announced otherwise) game that I hold out any hope for being good is (the equally hypothetical) Battlefront III, but that's mainly because it's Battlefield... IN SPACE. But even then, there's a chance they'll manage to screw that up.

I just get the feeling we're in for a ton of rushed games with multiple glitches that won't be patched, require Origin, have draconian DRM, and have cut content released later on as paid DLC. And heaven forbid if you complain about any of it, for you will be labled a "whiney, entitled gamer" who has no right to critize their "art" if you do.

Saintheart likes this.
  18. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Dear EA....

Battlefront 3

KTHXBAI

19. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    As Saintheart alluded to, Westwood Studios and Pandemic Studios were bought out and dismantled by EA, so this doesn't look good to me. Any CnC fan will tell you it wasn't the same after Generals and the same can be said for the dramatic drop in quality between Battlefront II and LotR: Conquest. The potential of DICE making Battlefront III is one of the very few bright spots of this deal, which "is getting worse all the time."

20. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Yeah, Battlefield combined with Star Wars has potential... but considering Bioware's recent track record, I'm not jumping for joy (DA2, SWTOR, ME3, all mostly good games with some huge controversies attached). Dead Space has been decent I've heard (zombies and gore aren't my thing), so there's hope, but I'm not expecting much. Of course the Lucasarts we had for the last decade wasn't much better since it barely produced anything and what it did publish was mediocre at best, but still, not sure if no games or many sub-par games is worst.

I'm almost tempted to hope, but nah, not going to bother.

21. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    Fixed that for you :p

22. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    The heck? lol

23. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I don't like exclusive licenses. However I think a lot of the crying over 'EA!!' is overstated. I've played a lot of EA games, and never bought a single piece of DLC, and had a very enjoyable experience. And it's a bit silly to say games will become worse, because their developers don't generally have a worse track record than any others. This 'worst company in America' is some of the silliest hyperbole I've ever encountered.

I understand the complaints about ME3 or DA2 changing from the series roots etc....but the game industry as a whole is going that way. It's highly unlikely you were ever getting TIE Fighter 2 or a KOTOR that was like the old ones ever again no matter who took on the license. It sucks but it's not only EA's fault. They wouldn't make yearly updates of Madden and CoD if they didn't sell tens of millions of copies despite their minimal changes.

If it gets 1313 out with an Uncharted quality then I will be happy. Even if that's the only good SW game they produce in 5 years that's 1 more than we had in the previous 5.

24. werpudel

werpudel Jedi Master star 2

Dec 4, 2008
    so, what does that mean for the Lego Star Wars-franchise?

25. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    All I care is that are going get Star Wars games that are more complex than Star Wars Pinball and Star Wars Angry Birds!

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.