main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Which moment from the films typifies to you what Star Wars is/should be all about?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Jcuk, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    that's sort of why I want Luke's story to end like that. Luke watching the binary sunset and disappearing into the force like Obi-Wan did. I would say do it at the end of Episode 9 but ripoff of ROTS? Or maybe have it in there but not last thing. Or have that in 7 or 8.

2. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    Interesting that you say that. I would do much the same thing if I was writing the new trilogy. Leia's story in the trilogy would be about asserting herself into a greater role in the New Republic (I like the idea that Han, Leia, and Luke were shoved out of the way because they had too much of a rebel mindset, rather than a political one). She'd also have to deal with the fact that Darth Vader is her father, something we never saw her deal with in the films. As such, she would have refused to set foot on Tatooine -- until the very end of Episode IX. Then, it would be that she's returning home. The very final scene would be Leia standing at the Lars farm, where Luke (who is now dead) once stood, and watching the sunset. Luke's ghost would appear, and they'd watch the suns set together before Luke disappeared into the wind and the Force. Roll credits.

3. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    If the ST is close to the OT then yes we can include Leia coming to terms with Vader being her father unless we see it in a flashback or something. Other than that, the rest of your idea would work.

4. BarkingFrog

BarkingFrog Jedi Master star 2

Jan 4, 2009
  5. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I was watching the Execution Arena scene and the battle after the Clones arrived the other day and totally felt the "This is Star Wars" moment.
    The Jedi igniting their lightsabers, the Clones appearing, Droids and clones fighting each other. Very well done.

6. d_arblay

d_arblay Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2005
    Luke in the Death Star trench attack.

Or quite possibly the scene on the second Death-Star - from the moment Vader tempts Luke to fight him to throwing down his weapon before Palpatine.

7. grimlockbedi

grimlockbedi Jedi Master star 2

Sep 16, 2006
    For me:

The scene Captain Tom Coughlin mentions above, "The force is with you young Skywalker, but you are not a Jedi yet", is not just one of my all time favorite Star Wars moments, it's also one of my all time favorite movie moments, period.

Other "quintessential" Star Wars moments for me:
    • "Help me Obi-Wan, you're my only hope."
    • "The Force is what gives a Jedi his power. It's an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us and penetrates us; it binds the galaxy together."
    • "I find your lack of faith disturbing."
    • "Aren't you a little short for a Stormtrooper?"
    • "Luke...you've shut off your targeting computer. What's wrong?". "Nothing. I'm alright."
    • The scene Jcuk mentions above..."well, we can still outmaneuver 'em!"
    • "Hey, your worship, I'm only trying to help!" "Would you please stop calling me that!" "Sure... Leia."
    • "Look at me. Judge me by my size, do you? Hm? Mmmm? And well you should not. For my ally is the Force. And a powerful ally it is. Life creates it, makes it grow. It's energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter. You must feel the Force around you. Here, between you, me, the tree, the rock... everywhere! Yes, even between the land... and the ship."
    • "I've just made a deal that will keep the Empire out of here forever."
    • "It is... too late, for me, my son."
    • "I'm a Jedi, like my father before me."
    • Darth lunges for Emperor...
    There are really too many to mention!

kainee and DarthDuckie like this.
  8. Rachel_In_Red

Rachel_In_Red Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2013
    Yoda lifting the X-Wing out of the swamp.

9. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    For me, the scene with the deepest emotional resonance was late in RotJ when Palpatine was taunting Luke. His struggle to resist the Dark Side and stay true to the light really struck a chord in me. Mark Hamill doesn't get enough credit for the humanity he brings to Luke as he searches for the strength to choose goodness over vengeance.

10. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    When Luke Skywalker throws down his lightsabre and refuses to cut down his father, hence defying the Emperor's wish for him to turn to the dark side and become his new apprentice. I am a Jedi, like my father before me...

11. RogueZero

RogueZero Jedi Master star 2

Mar 17, 2009
    I'll have to think about the PT, but for the original and best trilogy, the heart of SW for me, these three moments, one from each film, capture what SW is all about (or should be):

[​IMG]
    A New Hope: I don't even need to explain this one....

[​IMG]
    The Empire Strikes Back: Yoda talking about the connection between all living things through the Force. Together with the music, it still gives me tingles.

[​IMG]
    Return of the Jedi: The redemption. The scene where Vader picks the Emperor up and throws him down the shaft to his death. Vader knows it will kill him, but better him than his son. He's already dead anyway, from a certain point of view.

12. Jae-Dec

Jae-Dec Jedi Master star 3

May 20, 2013
    Very first shot of the Devestator chasing Tantive IV. The audience is immediately thrust into the war between the Empire and the Rebels. Having both of these huge vessels flying by the camera, you really get an appreciation of the scope of what is yet to come.

kainee likes this.
  13. Jeff Zach

Jeff Zach Jedi Padawan star 3

Jun 7, 2013
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Navi: {{ Hey, listen! }}
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Some of my favorites are Luke staring at Tatooine's twin suns, the tractor beam firing from the Death Star, the pod-racing in The Phantom Menace, the Darth Maul/Qui-Gon/Obi-Wan lightsaber duel, Greedo threatening Han in the Mos Eisley Cantina, the establishing shot of the Millennium Falcon, C-3PO/R2-D2 walking in the Tatooine desert amongst the bones of a Krayt Dragon, nearly all of the characters standing on Jabba's Sail Barge floating over a Sarlaac Pit, image of the Millennium Falcon narrowly escaping being swallowed up by the giant asteroid worm as it slowly closes its mouth, the bounty hunters being introduced in Empire Strikes Back, Slave 1 docked at Cloud City with Han being loaded into it, Han's reveal in carbonite form, Darth Vader extending his hand to Luke-after proclaiming himself as Luke's father-and asking him to join him in ruling the galaxy, the lightsaber being wielded by Luke for the first time, Luke's new green lightsaber being activated for the first time, Han unleashes blaster-fire on Vader in Cloud City with Vader raising a hand to deflect it, everyone celebrating amidst the Ewoks at the culmination of events in Return of the Jedi, and so many more.

Honestly though, I feel as though the entire Star Wars film franchise personifies what Star Wars is. No scene would be complete without the other, IMO.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Firmus Jagdon likes this.
  14. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    this part of the film is stunning and contains some of the best ships in flight action in thw whole saga, that bit where the falcon suddenly dives vertically is visually stunning

15. DarthPoppy

DarthPoppy Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    Luke expressing his disappointment in not being permitted to go to Tosche Station to pick up his Power Converters. That scene is truly moving; up there with the scene in Casablanca when Rick tells Ilsa to get on the plane with Victor Laslo. There are a few moments in the history of cinema that are truly transformative-- the pathos in Luke as he talks to Uncle Owen here is clearly one of them.

Sarge likes this.
  16. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    But Uncle DarthPoppy, I was going to choose that scene, as soon as I got back from Tosche with the power converters! :(

DarthPoppy likes this.
  17. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Any scene where Palpatine is walking along side any Sithwarrior. Palpatine is the face of Star Wars. Sith music, the dark robs, force lightening That's what Star Wars is.

18. DowClimber

DowClimber Jedi Padawan

Jan 26, 2013
    I agree wholeheartedly with so many of the moments above. Here's one that I always loved that I want to throw into the mix.

In ROTJ before they attack the Death Star, right when they rebel pilots "lock s-foils in attack position," there's a very subtle force theme that plays that makes it such a Star Wars moment. Then, I love how the music slowly picks up its pace as they realize "it's a trap."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPZigWFyK2o

Right at 1:20

Sarge and Force Smuggler like this.
  19. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Funny, I was about to choose this exact image. To me, the 6 movies are all about the struggle of good vs evil in a Galaxy where Emperor Palpatine is pulling (almost) all the strings at the center.

20. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

I could agree with you, except . . . every time I see that scene, I think of a similar moment in which Padme watched Anakin ride away to search for Shmi in AOTC. The way Padme looks into the distance, reminds me of that moment with Luke in ANH. And vice versa.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  21. Firmus Jagdon

Firmus Jagdon Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 7, 2013
    When the AT-ATs are spotted for the first time. I remember seeing this for the first at age 8 in 1980.... "Oh ****."

Yoda telling Luke what the Force is all about.

"I love you. I know" and then Chewie crying like a lost puppy.

Qui Gon telling Anakin what the Force is all about, slightly different.

Yoda igniting his lightsaber in AOTC for the very first time. The audicen went ape **** when I saw this flick the first time... what a great night that was...

The Rebel Medal ceremony...

Darth Raiden and thebeanpole like this.
  22. Aaronaman

Aaronaman Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 12, 2013
    For me it has to be in ANH when it seems like all is lost and then in flies Han and Chewie to save the day.

I remember being so excited when I watched this for the first time because I didn't want to believe Han just walked out when Luke needed his help the most.

It brought a smile to my face all those years ago and it still brings a smile to my face as I write this now and in my opinion thats what SWs is all about.

23. thebeanpole

thebeanpole Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 11, 2013
    For me it's the duel between Luke and Vader in ESB hands down. It's just that quintessential scene full of Star Wars magic, and has one of the most famous movie lines ever.

24. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

This exactly!!

25. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    The opening crawl.

thebeanpole and Force Smuggler like this.