main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion "Noooooooo!"

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Seagoat, May 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    This line, to me at least, is just as SW iconic as the "bad feeling" line.

It's been said at least once in every film, so I ask you, who, in your opinion, should say it in Episodes VII-IX?

2. Jedirush2112

Jedirush2112 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2013
    Chewie: "Arrrrrrrgggggggggggggg!"

Han "what do you mean no?"

Never actually stated justimplied.
    :p

To be honest, I hated the way that is was stated by Vader at end of ROTS. Its sounded horrible, I loved the movie until that point! Its just sounded rediculous!
    [face_bleh]

3. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Can't say who (if anyone) will say it on the screen, but I know I'll be saying it in the theater if anyone does.

Seriously, this might just be the most-parodied trope that movies still think can be used seriously. Gimme a break.

4. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    Well, what would you say if you'd just found out that YOU yourself had destroyed what you'd sacrificed all else for? Vader had given up everything, literally everything, to save his love. He didn't have anything else left. And then once he was told that he himself had murdered that, PLUS his unborn child, he had nothing, nothing but his loyalty to Palpatine. He knew that the rest of his life would be empty and meaningless, nothing more than a slave to Palpatine.
    I don't know, personally, I like it. Just my opinion though

5. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    They better say "No", dammit! Yes, overuse in drama movies generally flop but Star Wars is a more iconic, mythical series. People yell "Nooooooooooooooooooo!" to the heavens in those stories!

6. Jedirush2112

Jedirush2112 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2013
    You miss understood me, I understand why he said it. It was the way it was said. He sounded whinny, it deminished what we all knew Vader to be. I was critizing the tone more than the word.
    :cool:

7. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    Ah, I apologize for the misunderstanding then. Very good ^_^

8. BarkingFrog

BarkingFrog Jedi Master star 2

Jan 4, 2009
    George made a point of having one major "NO" moment in each film so I hope they continue the tradition.

9. Jason79

Jason79 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    Still can't believe they actually added it to the blu ray of Jedi.:p

10. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Sometimes you could think Lucas is trolling his fans.

Exactly! It was way over the top. Before the No, when he stumbled around saying "No, I couldn't have. I wouldn't have." that was great but the No trashed the scene.

Grand_Moff_Jawa likes this.
  11. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I think an inarticulate roar of anguish would have worked. But even aside from the delivery, the "nooooooo" had just become too cheesy - even by that point - to use in a scene as monumental as that.

But honestly, I don't think it's really any worse (apart from timing) from Luke's in ESB. So I stand by my manifesto as a whole: noooooo to "nooooooo"s in the ST.

12. WatTamborWoo

WatTamborWoo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 22, 2011
    Would someone be able to post the "Noooo!"'s from each film. I can't think of them all myself at the moment...But I am sure if it is a recurring theme then I hope that they continue with it (the same with the "I have a bad feeling..:" or the blaster sounds etc).

13. Jedi General Gelderd

Jedi General Gelderd Jedi Master star 5

Mar 6, 2004
    Off the top of my head we've had -

Ep.I - Obi-Wan seeing Qui-Gon killed
    Ep.II - ....I can't actually remember the 'AOTC' "Noooo!"
    Ep.III - Darth Vader hearing he killed Padme
    Ep. IV - Luke seeing Obi-Wan killed
    Ep.V - Luke hearing Vader is his father
    Ep.VI - Darth Vader as he kills Palpatine

14. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    So now we even keep the bad traditions? Does not compute.

Vthuil likes this.
  15. Tan-Wessel

Tan-Wessel Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    The main reason that "Nooooo" sounds horrible and unauthentic...untrue to Vader is because he has already shown what he sounds like when he's truly pissed: (not sure if I'm quoting accurately) "Commander! Tear this ship apart until you've found those plans! And bring me the passengers...I want them ALIVE!"

Just the way he yells "Alive!" already establishes to the audience exactly what Vader should sound like when he's majorly p-ed off. It's a snarl. The "Nooooooooooo!" is all whiney, half-hearted and weak.

Man, I hate that scene. After he's all like "She was alive. I couldn't have" and taking everything in, he should have unleashed RAW Force all around him. What a missed opportunity to show raw, unbridled chaotic Force. All kinds of **** should have been blowing up and flying around the room with some of the heaviest Vader-suit breathing we've ever heard, not just some cups and beakers crunching and breaking. He should have slammed the Emperor into the wall both with using the Force and physically in all his anger fueling his Force power almost killing him for just being the messenger and illustrating just what Palps was bragging to Mace about how much more powerful he could/would be than they and then for the Emperor to find some weasely way or something to snap Vader out of it.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  16. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I think I just had a fangasm from reading that description.

17. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Qui-Gon's voice when Anakin kills the Tusken Raiders: "Anakin, Anakin, noooo!"
    Well, at least they want us to believe it's Qui-Gon. Doesn't sound anything like him though - and the "Anakin" is lifted straight out of TPM ("Anakin, drop")

18. Jedi General Gelderd

Mar 6, 2004
    Haha, very true - don't who the "Noooo" is meant to be, I've always thought that. Fair enough using Qui-Gon, but don't know who that "Nooo" was, even to this day. Sounds nothing like Qui-Gon, I agree.

19. Tan-Wessel

Tan-Wessel Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    It sounds like Qui-Gon reacting to getting kicked in the balls.

20. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Jaina says nooooooooooo just after Han dies.......

21. Visivious Drakarn

Visivious Drakarn Jedi Master star 3

Apr 20, 2013
    I'll just say that I think that Vader's NO! at the end of ROTS is good.
    At that time he's still big part Anakin with some feelings of love and remorse, he's still far from being Vader from the OT.

22. Wookiee_Vader

Wookiee_Vader Jedi Master star 2

Aug 21, 2007
    I would have probably screamed my head off in despair/rage. Not comically shouted "nooooooooo....."

Vthuil and Darth_Pevra like this.
  23. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    The universe has changed in the last 40 years. People don't say "No." anymore, now it's a galaxy of Yes Men.

24. WatTamborWoo

WatTamborWoo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 22, 2011
    Did Palpatine have a good "Yesssss" moment in ROTS?

25. Jedi General Gelderd

Mar 6, 2004
    I'd have loved to see, rather than a "NOOOOOOOOOO" for Vader at the end of 'ROTS', the final piece of Anakin Skywalker die with his faith and love for Padme, and him just sink to his knees, or collapse in grief. The final moments we see him as a "human" until the end of 'ROTJ'.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.