main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Which version of ANH is the true and only?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Aaronaman, Mar 13, 2013.

1. darth_mccartney

darth_mccartney Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2008
    Agreed. I don't get why people get so defensive over stuff like this. At the end of the day they are movies!

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  2. Chainmail_Jedi

Chainmail_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 26, 2013
    No. My memories are from what was on the big screen. The repeated viewing just remind me of it. And all those changes remind me that they aren't the true versions.

3. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    The version with Luke Skywalker.

4. Ambervikings91

Ambervikings91 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    i like the adywan version

vinsanity likes this.
  5. topgoalscorer_no11

topgoalscorer_no11 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2001
    For me, it would have to be the 1976 version without all the Special Effects that Brian De Palma hated.

6. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    I agree. Luke with his silly hat & goggles, crappier cantina aliens, no cantina band, Greedo with a British accent, Han Solo with a floozy on his arm - and all in glorious black & white.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There's been way too much focus on getting the OOT properly restored and released - I want the John Jympson 'Lost Cut of The Star Wars' on Blu-Ray! Time to start an online petition...

Arawn_Fenn and Son of a Bith like this.
  7. CaptainHamYoyo

CaptainHamYoyo Jedi Master star 2

Aug 18, 2011
    Don't forget this guy

[​IMG]

8. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009
    Or some more of Imperial Officer Muttonchops

[​IMG]

And 'Flash Gordon' confronted by the terrifying Ikea stilt monster in its new trousers

[​IMG]

I'd take a scratchy transfer of the 'Lost Cut' over whatever Disney's got planned for the next decade. I'm totally cereal about that.

9. Wookiee_Vader

Wookiee_Vader Jedi Master star 2

Aug 21, 2007
    I disagree with that, IMO the (re)adding of Jabba in ANH was pure fan service/Lucas getting a CGI hard on. Thinking from the point of a first time viewer, it would be far cooler to not see Jabba until RotJ. We get ambiguous references to a figure who seems very dangerous, sinister and a real threat to Han. When he's stuck back in ANH, we get an idiot slug thing who Han makes a fool out of.

vinsanity and Random Comments like this.
  10. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    ^ Someone should make a bumper sticker out of this.

11. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    The funny thing is, while this is obviously a joke & tongue in cheek, this is EXACTLY how a lot of us see all the cries for the "OOOOT".

Andy Wylde likes this.
  12. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009
    I'm being glib, bit I'm also partly serious - I'd absolutely love to see the Lost Cut. The only thing that could beat it as a Holy Grail would be the opportunity to read GL's legendary ringbinders of notes (which even JW Rinzler isn't allowed to look at).

13. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    I would like to see the six hour rough cut of The Phantom Menace (but with all the graphics fixed of course)

14. Padmes_love_slave24

Padmes_love_slave24 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 24, 2003

No not everyone is brainless to watch RLM and have Plinkett be their deity....

15. Star Wars age 9

Star Wars age 9 Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 29, 2012
    I think it should be a simple matter to bring about a restored version of the originally released 1977 film - from a visuals point of view.

I may be wrong here, but I gather that the only real variants in '77 were the sound-mixes and wasn't much of that to do with mono/stereo/Dolby etc? With a few minor sound-effects differences?

John

Darth Dnej likes this.
  16. OldSchoolFan

OldSchoolFan Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 6, 2013
    Adywan's version.

17. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    The original 1977 version. The only upgrade it needs is to be restored for 1080p High Definition and 5.1 (or 7.1) Surrond Sound.

Star Wars age 9 likes this.
  18. CaptainRegor

CaptainRegor Jedi Master star 3

Nov 15, 2012
    The one that is truest to Lucas's vision, which in the current state are the blu-rays

19. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    The one that exists in my fantasies where Adywan improves the special effects and removes the inconsistencies/errors but does NOT defile all of the additions and fixes put in by Lucas over the years.

Andy Wylde and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  20. Obi-Wan21

Obi-Wan21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2002
    I love the blu-ray version because it makes Mos Eisley feel alive like a space port. I accept most of the alternations pretty openly. But Han shooting first has, and probably always will be, a bother. That act just struck a cord with my five year old brain. I truly felt I was seeing something adult or rugged, and I thought it was cool.

Beyond that, and I always forget this because it feels so crucial to film; Biggs Darklighter! He just belongs in Star Wars, and his scenes help the film. It really doesn't feel like added content, I sometimes forget it's not there in the originals.

The talk with Jabba should also be cut differently. If you want Jabba in, fine, but change or edit the dialogue. It's just redundant.

21. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    After taking in another episode of ANH on May the Fourth Be with you day, I noticed Obi Wan has a mark on his shoulder on his robe. Im in the thinking that the mark is from where an "Old Republic" patch was and he removed it. Thoughts??

22. MRCynical

MRCynical Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 7, 2008
    The Bluray version is actually much better. They now shoot virtually simultaneously. So since Greedo misses, he must have been firing a warning shot whereas Han was shooting to kill. Doesn't change the whole 'ruthless' vibe of the original scene in the way that 'Greedo shoots - micropause - Han shoots' did.

23. Obi-Wan21

Obi-Wan21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2002
    You know you're right. I guess my brain was telling me I was still seeing the first alteration. This actually does work! Han still gets to feel 'ruthless' while now Greedo also looks credible enough.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  24. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    The 1977 version I saw in the movies. .

25. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    I think people get mad because Lucas continues to revise the films for the 'younger' audiences, and they still don't like them anymore then they would if he never touched them. He essentially updated the original SW for fans who DON'T like it, yet he won't release a fully restored original SW for fans who love it?

That is the ultimate irony if you ask me! :(