main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I didn't want to say this in the Ender's Game JCC thread, but... this looks better than the book.

But that might be because I imagined y'know, a bunch of 6 and 7 year-olds. Because the book told me to.

Although the trailer is upwards to 50%+ the last couple of chapters. Pffft.

2. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    I've never actually finished that novel.

3. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Are they not having Peter Wiggin in the movie? He was a more fascinating character than Ender.

Also I pictured the Battle Room completely differently.

4. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    I read it a few months ago and I can definitely see where you're coming from with that.:p

The ending's what makes it. But the characters pissed me off. The sequels were somewhat better.

5. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Yeah, I think I tried reading it sophomore year, got bored, tried Revelation Space, got bored, tried Wheel of Time, got bored, picked up A Game of Thrones, got hooked.

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Been years since I've read it, but wasn't his character mostly seen through letters and things? I read the books far too long ago to be able to properly gripe about the film, which is what one is supposed to do with adaptations, right?

Same -- I pictured some sort of bland boring cube, perhaps with geodesic patterns or something. You know, something like Epcot or you know, very 80s futurismo.

7. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I still need to read Ender's Game. Granted, I'm a little uncomfortably supporting such a bigoted windbag of an author. Still, I'm generally the type of person that likes to take the creator of a work completely out of the equation and enjoy the work (hence my enjoyment of The Smiths and Morrissey, though I must say I find Morrissey much less annoying than others do). Maybe that's irresponsible, but I've never been accused of being responsible.

Barriss_Coffee: One reason I haven't read it already is its a giant series, and I'm already dealing with one of those right now (Malazan). Do all of them manage to stay interesting, or is it only really worth it for the first few?

8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Orson Scott Card also helped write the insult swordfighting for Monkey Island. Even terrible terrible people can still have creative talent.

9. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    He's in it, played by this guy. And I agree entirely.

Point Given likes this.
  10. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    The thing that makes it even more difficult to support Orson Scott Card, I'd say, is that he channels your support into his bigotry. From what I've heard, he funds his own anti-gay marriage smear campaigns using the proceeds he earns from his books. If all goes well, the movie should make him a rich (or richer) man. Of course, he'll just be a slightly louder, slightly more annoying voice, but I still don't like throwing money at those people.

But like I said, if I did a background check on every creator of the things I buy, I suspect I'd have to spend a lot more time outside.

11. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    I only read this one, Speaker of the Dead, and part of Xenocide. I have no idea if that's the right order because apparently they jump all over the timeline, but Speaker of the Dead seems to follow Ender's Game and was a FAR better story. It felt like an entirely different author and genre, and the pace was entirely different. I'm not sure if I'm going to continue the series because I sort of despise the characters, but I'd definitely recommend reading Speaker of the Dead if you like weird sci-fi. Ender's Game is.... blech.

Point Given: Yeah, Peter was interesting. I hated him too. But in the good way.:p If he's not in the film I'll blame PETA.

12. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    Conceptually, I always found the whole world domination side-series thing to be far more interesting than anything to do with the bugs.

13. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I've only read the comic adaptations (EG through SotD), but that trailer looks outstanding.

Also, I mean--if that's not General Solo in there, I don't know what is.

14. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Are those the Bean sequels? I read one of the Ender sequels, and I think most of the Bean ones... I found the Bean ones far, far more interesting.

15. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    That's the one, alright. Shadow of the Hegemon, I'm thinking of, specifically.

16. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Yeah, Ender's Game made me realize . . . we might actually get General Solo in the ST. Which might actually be enough to get me interested.

17. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Orson Scott Card spoke at my sister's high school graduation (North Carolina School of Science and Mathematics, 1994). He gave a pretty good speech, and I rarely find graduation speeches interesting.

I didn't know he was a bigot. That's really depressing, as I had found the guy somewhat likable at the time.

I read Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead in the late 80s/early 90s. Never read Xenocide. I could not stand Peter, barely got through Ender's Game because of him, and if PETA keeps him out of the movie, there's a better chance I'll go see it.

I'm surprised to see Harrison Ford in that trailer, as I also imagined the characters to all be kids a la Super 8. But it has been almost 25 years since I read the books. (My brother read them at the same time I did, and he was 10 at the time; I wonder what these movies will be rated.)

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  18. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    What's the deal with Peter and PETA?

19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    He tortured animals.

20. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Ah. Well, at least that seems like a legitimate concern, as opposed to their usual "virtual whaling must be stopped" routine.

21. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Yeah, I have no real love for PETA but they'd have a genuine gripe about Peter being the ***hole that he is, in the film.

22. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I still feel that creators should be able to portray pretty much anything they want as long as it has a purpose, and not have to deal with meddling from groups like PETA when there are real, non-fictional situations to concern themselves with. But my knowledge of Ender's Game ends at "8 year old super soldier/general".

23. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    That's pretty much all anyone needs to know.

24. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    Speaking of knowing, I wonder how they're going to do the fantasy world video game bit. That could be tricky. Or trippy. I would rather the later.

25. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    That's how I roll. :cool: A year from now I will start the third book and think "I will stop where the third season ends and wait a year" ... Yeah, I don't believe that even now.

By the way, for all the talk of nudity in the series, GRRM wins by having a naked Pycelle wet everyone in the room. I'm trying hard to unsee it.

In other news, I am working this month as a gardener in an old graveyard. I actually like the atmosphere. The yard is next to a river, it has old trees, small mounds and cool gravestones a century back with titles. That guy was a teacher. That guy was a cantor, and he was a vicar during the last emperor. It's quite weird that I'm so fascinated by them, you know, because of the dead. But I must do good job, no one has risen to complain yet.

krtmd and Barriss_Coffee like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.