main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO EA acquires Star Wars gaming licence

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by spicer, May 6, 2013.

1. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    It never got around to finishing itself, if you get my meaning :p

And worst or Most Hated Company in America seems a bit harsh, a lot of people don't even play games so they'd have no reason to hate on EA. Apple are surely far worse, and they're a bigger company with a wider public reach.

It would make sense to get 1313 & First Assault or even Battlefront 3 given all those games are supposedly complete or nearly complete and would be cheap to release. Of course, Disney had a whole series of TCW TV show ready and waiting and then cancelled rather than release it. I don't get business motives anymore.

Zer0 likes this.
  2. CaptainRegor

CaptainRegor Jedi Master star 3

Nov 15, 2012
    EA is actually the most hated company in the world everyone can vote for "worst company in america" even if you don't live in America.
    The reason EA is named that though is not because they make crappy games it's because of micro transitions and errors with Mass Effect 3 and SimCity

3. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Then people have bad priorities.

Companies that run sweatshops and then sell their average products for hugely inflated prices (like Nike) and are content to sue people and employ underhand tactics to create a market monopoly (like Apple) are surely much worse than a company that made a game ending a lot of people happen to not like.

4. KamSolusar

KamSolusar Jedi Grand Master star 2

Mar 8, 2001
    I really, really don't like EA and don't look forward to SW games with Origin, always-on DRM, buggy releases, etc..

But I'm really excited to see what DICE can do with the Star Wars license. Just imagine: lightsabers, Force powers and the Frostbite Engine. :D With their experiece, it's going to take lots of pointy-haired EA bosses to really screw this up.

5. hunter77

hunter77 Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 8, 2012
    Well if they make a game that sells well, bit nobody likes. How do you think their next Star Wars game will sell?

6. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    We're screwed. I'd rather have no Star Wars games than EA making Star Wars games. They already ruined The Old Republic.

Gallandro and CassiusClayDarth like this.
  7. TheRevanchist

TheRevanchist Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 13, 2012
    If it has great graphics and good marketing it will sell well regardless how mediocre it will be.

8. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    I wonder if this will affect old Star Wars games or not. Like Steam has quite a few classic Star Wars games right now, but EA has been trying to push its Origin service a lot, including by keeping a lot of their newer games off Steam (ME3, SWTOR, etc.). Just hope the older ones aren't affected (EA has owned Bioware for a while and KotOR is still available elsewhere, but just a tad paranoid).

9. hunter77

hunter77 Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 8, 2012
    Yea, but the next game will not. TFU 1 was alright, had good graphics and sold well.. Ofcourse TFU 2 had good graphics, and sold alright aswell, thanks to the first. What happened then? TFU 2 was ****, and nobody wanted a third. So if EA messes up with the game, well yea.. the first game will sell.. but the second won't because we have already been let down by the first. Alien Colonial Marines had a good marketing.. game was bad, and sold badly.

10. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
  11. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I want a TFU 3 but only because I hate unresolved endings, 2 should never have been made.

In the end, bad reviews and poor player feedback will put people off getting a game even if the hype is big (happened with Aliens CM as mentioned above). Poor player feedback put me off getting ME3 for over a year after it came out (along with hate over Origin), in fact I only got TFU 2 because it was dirt cheap.

At the same time, some people will buy anything Star Wars regardless.

12. Minez01

Minez01 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 12, 2005
    I think it's a bit of a mixed bag. The issue I found with SWTOR wasn't exactly the storyline or characters, mainly the repetitive gameplay that we've seen in so many other MMO's. Realistically, though, if EA are going to learn from TOR (which they will, as it was really a huge flop) and they've got the green light to try and push projects like Battlefront 3 and 1313, then this could definitely be interesting.

I'm definitely not a big fan of a bunch of stuff that EA does, however I think that the development studios should be able to come up with something pretty decent with what they have to work with. Bioware should be pushing to make up for the failure that was TOR, and a move away from an MMO gameplay should bring to the table some interesting and good opportunities to (a) make money and (b) make decent games. Perhaps both.

In the end though, it's more of a "better the evil you know than the one you don't" type situation. Could be worse.

13. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Guilty :cool:

14. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    KOTOR 3 or I will murder everything.

spicer and SithLordDarthRichie like this.
  15. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    I still can't believe Dice is making a Star Wars game.

16. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    Oh my goodness no Star Wars games till April 2014 ) 0.o

17. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    No rush, if they take their time and make it good, they can take years.

spicer likes this.
  18. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Battlefront 3 is more important

19. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    Rebel Assault 3 is more important.

20. cdgodin

cdgodin Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2009
    Republic Commando 3 is more important.

21. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I want Republic Commando 2 first :p

But I'd like that before any Battlefront or Rebel Assault sequel.

Lazy Storm Trooper likes this.
  22. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    My thoughts exactly. That's the sort of shenanigans that make me wary about this development. EA will have to prove us wrong, but I fear they won't....

Though a Battlefront 3 by DICE would be kinda sweet... ;):p

23. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    Jedi Knight IV is most important.

24. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Nah, no games will be as important as Battlefront III

25. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011