main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

OOC A Tide of Discussion: the d20 ToF OOC thread

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by Saintheart, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
  2. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    That about leaves us with William and Mazarun. Corrath will delay until everyone else has moved and then see what pans out from there, mainly because she isn't terribly good at taking on entire platoons of hobgoblins and/or giants by herself.

Incidentally, for everyone really, how do you guys want to handle posting through this?
    Should it be a case of me assuming you're not going to post IC during combat unless the muse strikes you (er...yeah) and just do round-by-round updates as I have?
    And also, if you haven't rolled thus far, shall I assume I'm going to do it on your behalf?

3. cassie5squared

cassie5squared Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 8, 2010
    Okay, William tosses Confusion onto the giants, and immediately recalls the spell with an AP so he's still got it handy. He's also still flying, so hopefully nothing will hit him. And yeah, I see nothing wrong with working it the way you suggested, Saint.

4. LightWarden

LightWarden Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 11, 2001
    Well, I'm posting here because posting in-character for another player's character is weird for me. I might still roll on my end though.

5. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    I would never presume to roll for you, Light :D :D :D

6. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002
    I TRUST you with my dice rolls, Saint!! [face_nail_biting]

7. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    Just waiting on Mazarun now. Ariel and Ragnar will just make charging attacks - no rage added in unless Peng says otherwise, full Power Attack applied to those rolls.

8. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    Spamming the thread, but just one hypothetical: if, by some strange turn of events, Ariel takes out that Ogre on her initiative count, Peng, what is Ragnar doing instead?

9. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002
    Beat it to a bloody pulp anyway? :p

Also, plenty of hobgoblins to splatter! ;)

10. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    All right, I'm fairly anxious to keep these fights rolling, so absent any last-minute corrections -- Penguinator and Rilwen_Shadowflame -- I'll go and update on these assumptions:

(1) Ragnar is attacking either the Ogre Ariel is going for, or alternatively going after the Skullcrusher Ogre if that target's unavailable.

(2) Mazarun stands still and makes a full attack on the Skullcrusher Ogre seeing as Ariel and possibly Ragnar are headed towards the other ogre. He full attacks with his hand crossbow. Sounds ludicrous? Not really. With Haste and bard music, I calculate his attack bonuses as +26/+21/+26, since he can reload hand crossbows as a free action and he's not two-weapon fighting in this case. From where he stands, range increment penalties impose a -12 to those rolls, bringing it down to a +14/+9/+14 attack sequence. Now, if we were only looking at a measly 1d4+2 or so per shot, why bother, but Maz's hand crossbow -- again due to bard and haste -- is pulling 1d4+11 damage. And per my roll on this sequence, he did pretty damn well: those are all hits, and two of them were one short of a critical. Damage: Good grief, he maxed the d4 on two out of the three rolls. That's a total of 43 damage out of a possible 45. Of course, you don't have to take that result if you don't want to, Rils...

(3) Corrath will just single move to D36. Still badly outnumbered out here and she doesn't want to be swarmed.

11. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Works for me - sorry for lateness here.

12. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    Okay, update's up. Once again, act on the basis the hobgoblins have already had their turn. For interest:

(1) Ariel pulled 108 damage. Full Power Attack, dive attack. That was a one-hit kill. This is one big reason the elven Courtblade is so popular with Dex-based fighters.
    (2) Ragnar hit for about 48 damage. This is barely ahead of Mazarun's damage of 43. :D
    (3) Evelios drew about 4 arrows because Confusion includes targeting the caster with ranged or melee options. None of those hit.
    (4) William almost caught a boulder in the face since he cast at the Hill Giants. 2 points in it. :)
    (5) The Skullcrusher Ogre made its save, and since Ragnar charged in leaving himself next to it, it obliged with a full attack with Power Attack. You'll remember on charging Ragnar's Power Attack penalties on accuracy shift to his AC, meaning his dropped to about 10. On the upside, when he acts next his AC should kick back up to 20.

13. LightWarden

Oct 11, 2001
    Ragnar should have hit for 68 damage. Leap Attack doubles his power attack bonus from +20 to +40 when charging, putting it at 111 damage done when combined with Maz's damage. The ogre should be dead and unable to retaliate.

Actually, 74 damage. Maz has the "Leading the Charge" stance as his only (and thus default) stance, which lets him add his initiator level (6) to the charge damage of any ally who can hear him. Since we have the rings, that's everyone, though they have to be within 60 feet of him (does "make a charge attack in the area" mean start, end or entirely contain the charge within 60 feet of him? Judging by the fluff text, I'd assume it means start a charge).

14. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    How does he leap when he's Air Walking? He can't exactly turn it off or suppress it without a standard action, can he?

15. LightWarden

Oct 11, 2001
    It lets you tread on air as if it were ground. It uses the same terminology as Water Walk, which makes you float an inch or two above the surface and explicitly lets you run, charge, or otherwise move across the surface as if it were normal ground. I have no problem with letting him jump while on Water Walk, and no problem with letting him jump while on Air Walk. My interpretation is that the spell simply turns the air at his feet into a surface that supports him like solid ground, and thus he can jump from that surface. I don't think the spell would interfere with a jump or any other sort of complicated movement because if it did then there would be no way to descend anywhere once you went up because your feet would keep hitting something solid. You'd also be immune to bull rush and any other sort of forced movement because it would be pushing you into a solid object.

Even if Air Walk didn't allow jumping, there's nothing stopping him from going to ground on his move action, then doing a leaping charge as a standard from there and ending hovering in the air above the ogre's head for the high ground bonus.

16. LightWarden

Oct 11, 2001
    Skadi is going to use one of her extra arms to two-hand her sword for extra damage, then maneuver and charge to G21 to attack Hobgoblin 8 from 5 ft off the ground for the high ground bonus.

Attack bonus is +24 after the +2 from charging and +1 from high ground, damage should be...
    1d8+3 (enhancement) + 4 (Str x1.5) +5 (Holy Warrior adds 1 point per damage of the war domain spell level, flame strike is a 5th level spell) + 3 (gauntlets) + 6 (inspire courage) + 1d6 cold
    = 1d8 + 21 + 1d6 cold

As long as she doesn't roll a 1, the hobgoblin dies.

She did not roll a 1. 28 damage it is.

This sets up Corrath for a flank on Hobgoblin 5, in another situation where the target dies so long as she doesn't roll a 1.

17. Rilwen_Shadowflame

Rilwen_Shadowflame Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 27, 2005
    Sorry for vanishing on that round, I do plan to actually post on this one.[face_blush]

18. LightWarden

Oct 11, 2001
    I think Corrath's damage is a little low.

1d6 + 3 enhancement + 7 dex + 6 inspire courage for the rapier, and 1d4 + 3 enhancement + 7 dex + 6 inspire courage for the kukri.

Also, her defenses are weird. Her Reflex is 10 lower than it should be (10 + 8 class + 7 Dex + 1 vest + 3 morale + 1 haste = 30) (and I'm pretty sure Craven lowers Will saves vs. Fear, not Reflex saves).

19. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    Zanaek will cast Summon Hound Archon and send it after Hill Giant 2 and spend an AP to prepare the spell again.

20. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Had me at the beginning.

21. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    All right - I was going to propose that Ragnar forgets to leap since it's the first time he's ever done the Thor thing, and leave it to Peng to see which way he wanted to go, but I can see where this is going. I also noticed there was some offscreen stuff I forgot to put in. In mechanical terms, the only thing that changes is that Ragnar takes the Skullcrusher Ogre out, and Ragnar is uninjured. You can provide actions on that basis and I'll provide a correction soon.

22. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    It's probably irrelevant for current purposes, but I don't know that I'd agree on that one.

Take a look at Lion's Roar right next to Leading the Charge: it's not a stance, but it does similar sorts of things to LtC, and likewise has sort of similar fluff text. The difference is that it nominates targets for its buff, not an area effect as LtC does. If you're a target, you take your buff with you; if you're in an area I would've thought you generally only get the buff while you're in it. And LtC does say "make a charge attack in the area". You can't make an attack unless there's a target to attack (No Dead Alewives, guys... :D ). More to the point, Charge (in the unaltered D&D which ToB was addressing) is (generally) a full-round action where you move up to twice your movement speed and then attack during that full-round action (the immediate qualifier being that you can only attack after you move, not before).

That movement speed, for most "generic" characters, is going to be a 30 foot move, thus, a charge is going to result in a sixty foot movement followed by a single melee attack. To me, that explains the sixty-foot movement allowance to some extent - in the designers' mind, I can see them thinking "well, a charge will allow a default human character to move sixty feet as a full round action, so we'd better make the radius of the effect sixty feet or else the charger passes out of range of the effect before it comes into effect."

So I'd interpret it as end a charge within sixty feet, since it's the charge attack that has to be made within area, and it's the damage that's buffed, not the movement leading up to it. It also has some synergy with the very title of the stance: Leading the Charge, i.e. you're meant to be out in front making the first charge, crashing into the front line, and your allies then take advantage of your example.

23. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    Corrected update is now up. Ramza, Peng, I'd appreciate it if you could delete the one I put up in the thread right before it. Over to you guys who haven't already provided responses...

24. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002
    Does the hobgoblin commander look confused?
    Unless Ragnar turns to attack him next, (As he is closer) Ariel will attack him next. But if he looks confused, will move on towards Hill Giant #2.

25. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    You act before Ragnar does, so it's on to Hill Giant 2. He's just babbling incoherently until his next turn.