main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Official Star Wars Rebels Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by KED12345, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    What if they have an animated series that skips about... Dark Times era, OT era (in between the OT movies, much like TCW was in between AoTC and RoTS) and post-RoTJ era.

Or, instead of having one series jump forward and back between eras decades apart, they could do two or three separate animated series dealing with each era.

Star Wars: The Dark Times

Star Wars: Empire

Star Wars: New Republic

Or whatever...

Darthgoodguy and the-jedi-prince like this.
  2. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Really hope it is dark times, because if it is post-rotj, i can see a bunch of EU steamrolled.

earlchinna and VanishingReality like this.
  3. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Under one condition:

[​IMG]

4. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Only problem I would probably have with a show in the style of TCW set in the Dark Times is that it would be mainly for kids and thus fail to live up to the period it's set. Just check the Dark Times comics (set in that era obviously) and you will see what the best type of stories set in that period should be like-dark, serious and mature. Not random adventures of the week with a merry band of heroes that a 12 year old could come up with. I'm not saying that I'm against a SW kids show, but please Lucasfilm choose the period wisely. If you want a show for kids, do not set it in the Dark Times. You promised us a live action show for that. And I'll wait as long as it takes for it.

Just my opinion.

Hurricanejedi likes this.
  5. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    While I generally agree that a Dark Times series should stay true to its namesake, I think there is the potential for many different kinds of stories set in this era, appealing to many demographics (they won't just target kids specifically, I imagine, but all fans of Star Wars). I've heard mention that they can even put in a young Han Solo and Lando Calrissian as potential protagonists, adding Chewbacca and new OC(s) as sidekicks. Rather than focusing exclusively on Darth Vader hunting down Jedi during the Purge, which would be rather grimdark and morbid, they can explore the thriving Underworld of the galaxy, including the rise of Boba Fett to become the galaxy's greatest bounty hunter. We can have episodes that focus on surviving Jedi hiding from the Empire and going out of their way to start new lives. Really, the potential for stories is very great, and you don't need to just focus on the Purge and what's shown in the EU comics of the era. I think Lucasfilm can pull off a new animated series that is both mature and that appeals to the younger demographic. All speculation, naturally, but we should come into this with an open mind.

6. Darth Valkyrus

Apr 12, 2013
    Just because it's animated doesn't mean it has to be for kids.

South Park is animated and it's freakin X-rated.

7. VanishingReality

VanishingReality Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2013
    Dark Times would be awesome. I agree that unless it’s AU, most Dark Times stories tend to be depressing because the focus on Darth Vader vs. Jedi, or even more hilariously sad-- Vader vs. incompetent imperials. I’d still like to see a new take on the start of the rebellion, and all the obstacles the rebels face in the totalitarian galaxy. Also, I do enjoy villain-focused stories and Vader is my favorite villain, so I wouldn't even complain if the entire thing IS from the empire's perspective.

(Extremely unlikely though, it's probably going to focus on the fight from the pov of subjugated alien races like Mon calamari and Kashyyyk, on the problems Owen/Beru/Obi-wan and Bail Organa face raising the twins, and the smugglers/pirates/criminals)

8. Darth Valkyrus

Apr 12, 2013
    I would love to see stuff focusing on the Imperial Navy and army. No Jedi/Sith supermen as main characters. Oh, they can pop up a time or two, but not having the storyline revolving around them.

VanishingReality likes this.
  9. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    My response to this condition:

[​IMG]

10. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    As I've said before: with Ep.VII and the ST in general, the EU will get 'steamrolled' either way so it doesn't matter.

11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'd rather see Zahn's work steamrolled than Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader.

eht13, Krueger, K'Kruhk and 2 others like this.
  12. Darth Valkyrus

Apr 12, 2013
    Why do you hate Thrawn so much?

13. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I got really, really tired of being told how awesome he was and what a brilliant strategist he was and how all the other characters quaked in their boots at the mere mention of his name (including Han Solo--are you ****ing kidding me? The guy whose first reaction upon seeing Vader on Bespin was to pull his blaster and fire? Dude does not quake in his boots in fear at the mention of any villain's name). I also got tired of him making Vader look like a putz. And the omniscience--he thought the Rebels would go to a "cold planet"? Really? When Vader had to send out probe droids to figure it out? Just no.

It's been awhile since I read the Thrawn Trilogy (late 90s), I didn't even bother with the Hand of Thrawn duology, and the last Zahn book I read was Outbound Flight--in which half the book consisted of a couple of other characters talking about how awesome Thrawn was.

FWIW I hate Mara Jade for similar reasons.

14. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    so what epsioe 7 is going to steam roll that era anyway

15. Miras-Etrin

Miras-Etrin Jedi Master star 2

Jan 23, 2013
    When I´ve recently read Thrawn trilogy for the first time, I came to conclusion that Timothy Zahn must hate concept of Darth Vader with passion - both of these characters and their comparison with him were started there after all... Ironically, whining of MJ how she was better than Vader kinda reminded me prequel´s Anakin :) .

16. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    This is weird because Thrawn is just as evil as Vader. He does start a war after all. He only distances himself more from his murders than Vader does.

17. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I do believe you're missing a brilliant read by ignoring Hand of Thrawn Duology, but it's your choice.

I take the view that you should read something before slating it, mind you.

For example, Allegiance, by Zahn, is boring as hell.

Couldn't comment at all on most of the comics mind you. Or even most of TCW, bar the big stuff (i.e. Mandalorian, Nightsister, Seppie Parliament, Maul, Ventress and Mortis plots as everything else is just filler).

Zahn does kill Thrawn though, so he's not all that. He also loses on more than one occasion in TTT.

V-2 likes this.
  18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I don't disagree, but to me the choice was along the lines of disliking a first movie and not bothering with sequels.

19. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Makes sense, though I didn't like ANH and loved RotJ so I probably don't think like you.

Perseverance!

*chuckles*

20. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    There is actually a lot of stuff that should get retconned to oblivion in the post-ROTJ EU(Yuuzhan Vong, Natasi Daala, the various superweapons that came after the two Death Stars, Luke Skywalker being over-powered, etc., etc.)

21. Darth Valkyrus

Apr 12, 2013
    What about the endless clone Palpatines, Palpatine Force Storms tearing fleets apart, Palpatine's wormholes and who knows what else?

They've already started on very slightly retconning Daala. The trick she used to take down Callista Ming, failed multiple times during the extended chase sequence in TJWKTM. Unless stun blasts work differently 30 years later, or lightsabers are less powerful.

22. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Aside from all that, toning down the power level of characters should also be considered. It has become way too much forceuser against forceuser because nobody else could keep up with them. I want to see more normal people keep up with Jedi and Sith.

23. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I'd actually love to see the Vong on screen. But if they give Mara a disease, it should kill her this time. (Better yet, no Mara at all.)

The Vong's "living Death Star" creeped me out more than anything I've read in a Star Wars book, a "this is delicious but I also have to talk to someone about this NOW" level of creepy. If they animate or live-action that, it would be awesome.

AkashKedavra_93 likes this.
  24. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Ssi Ruuk are waaay scarier. They even give me the creeps and that is not easy.

But I'm not sure how well biohorror suits Star Wars.

VanishingReality likes this.
  25. CaptainRegor

CaptainRegor Jedi Master star 3

Nov 15, 2012
    If the series are set between episode 3-4 I hope Yularen and Tarkin become regulars or even main characters. Played by the same voice actors as in the Clone Wars of corse.
    If set after episode 6, well who knows what that world looks like in GL's book? (which you know, episode 7 is based upon his ideas)