main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Padme & Anakin: Who knew?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by SithLord_1270, Jun 6, 2010.

1. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    That's the story according to the ROTS novel.

2. BobaFett99

BobaFett99 Jedi Youngling

Jul 6, 2011
    I'm surprised Yoda didn't figure it out in ROTS when Anakin came to him for help to control his emotions.

3. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I think he knew far before then, and I think Yoda's response of "someone you know?" is telling.

The look we see from Yoda when Anakin is screaming to put the ship down to Padme also indicates to me that Yoda knows.

A quote I enjoy from the novel Yoda: Dark Rendezvous (yes, it's EU):

Secret, shall I tell you? Grand Master of Jedi Order am I. Won this job in a raffle I did, think you? "How did you know, how did you know, Master Yoda?" Master Yoda knows these things. His job it is.

4. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    I never fully realized, until recently, that Jedi are like government agents / monks. James Bond comes to mind.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  5. JediMasterChiefYoda

JediMasterChiefYoda Jedi Master star 3

Aug 8, 2003
    I believe that Palps did know, and have no reason to doubt the claim he found out through the Naboo minister. A powerful galactic leader would know several planet-wide and galactic-wide famous persons. When the senator from your home-world gets married, do you think she's gonna get some unknown, guy preaching in a small church minister, or do you think she's gonna go for someone like Billy Graham?

Also, IIRC, in the RotS novel, Obi-Wan told Anakin he knew about his relationship with Padmé, and said nothing because he saw she was a calming and satablizing force in his life, and made him both a better person, but a better Jedi as well.

Artoo and Threepio knew because of being there.

As for Padmé and Anakin, if they didn't know, then they were very messed up.

6. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    They knew, they weren't drunk in Las Vegas. :p And I also think Palpatine and Obi-Wan knew... in addition to R2 and C-3PO, obviously. Not sure about Yoda... it seems like he should have sensed it, but I'm not sure if he did.

7. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    What happens in Mortis stays in Mortis.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  8. JediMasterChiefYoda

JediMasterChiefYoda Jedi Master star 3

Aug 8, 2003
    And what happens on Naboo affects the entire galaxy.

minnishe and Lady_Misty like this.
  9. Porkins4Ever

Porkins4Ever Jedi Master

Apr 12, 2005
    I dunno,

I always kinda assumed that Yoda and Obi knew, but just turned a blind eye to it. I think because of the diminishing force sensitivity of the Jedi, Yoda knew they were pretty much at the mercy of the SIth, and that Anakin as the chosen one was their only hope of surviving. I think everyone chose to ignore the relationship because they were counting on Anakin to "destroy the Sith", as it were.

That's just my opinion, and the way I have always read into it watching the movie.

10. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Actually, Panaka seems to be the one who really let the cat out of the bag. Granted, in Stover's novelization, Palpatine does say he found out thanks to the Nabooian clergy, but that's only what Palpatine says. You should know that Palpatine does not always tell the truth. The Visual Dictionary for ROTS, however, is a neutral NPOV source, and it says: "Captain Panaka, former Head of Security for Queen Amidala, gave Palpatine information regarding Anakin and Padmé's secret marriage."

Now why would Palpatine lie about that is a good question. Perhaps he had plans for Panaka and did not want Anakin to seek revenge on the former captain?

Lady_Misty likes this.
  11. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    I think that some people knew that something was going on between the two. Anakin orders them to stop firing on the Malevolence adn then goes to rescue her. And when he answers the transmission he calls her by her first name. Then in The Blue Shadow Virus Arc he drags Obi-Wan off to find a cure and when Padme and Ahsoka call to give their final good byes Anakin marches off to find a way to get off the planet. Senate Spy his actions and words suggest that him and Padme are close to each other. He shows surprise that she used to date Clovis and then he leaves Clovis behind at the end.

There are a few more where he expresses concern or something else when Padme's life is in danger. And I think I remember Padme telling someone, possibly Ahsoka, not to tell Anakin about what happened because she didn't want to worry him.

Now, whether or not they knew that they were married, friends with benefits, lovers or whatever they never say.

12. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Actually, if the other Jedi thought that Anakin and Padmé were... friends with benefit, they wouldn't have bothered to intervene. After all, attachment may have been forbidden, but making younglings and stuff was not.

13. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I knew, and that's all that matters.

Ahsoka_Tano_11 and Lady_Misty like this.
  14. jc1138

jc1138 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 16, 2004
    RotS is ambiguous (probably intentionally) as to whether or not Yoda knew. If he did, why did he not act on this knowledge? What would his actions have been? If it were Mace I think he would have Anakin out of the order on his ear, from how he holds him in such disfavor! But Yoda...?

15. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Obi-Wan: He knew they were in love and likely thought they were lovers. He probably was hoping Anakin, or both he and Padme would trust and tell him.

According to the ROTS Visual Dictionary Padme's handmaidens Elle and Montee knew of the marriage and pregnancy. Also one of them delivered a message to Anakin in one of the comics. As far I know, no other handmaidens knew.

Bail Organa: There was TCW eppy where Padme had Anakin's lightsaber, he and probably others surely had to be suspicious after that. And I always wondered if he saw them in ROTS when he and Anakin were talking and then Anakin excused himself to see Padme. As for her pregnancy, it was said to be an open secret with her colleagues in Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader

Yoda, Windu, and the Council: I once read a fanfic from Windu's POV and basically they know, but turned a blind eye for wartime. I've always wondered if that was the case, and that was among the probably many reasons Mace doesn't trust Anakin.

Her family: That, oh how I wish there was more on what they did or did not know. There's very little on if and what they knew. I've always assumed they did not know of the marriage, but they were aware of her pregnancy. I made that assumption after Last of the Jedi #4: Death on Naboo

16. DARTH-FURBABY

DARTH-FURBABY Jedi Master star 2

Apr 9, 2004
    Add Palpatine and you've got it!!

17. DARTH-FURBABY

DARTH-FURBABY Jedi Master star 2

Apr 9, 2004
    [/quote]

But in ROTS, when Palpatine tells Anakin that his sith powers will help his wife Anakin seems surprised that he knew....:oops:[/quote]

I think what Anakin seemed to be surprised by was Palpatine's "knowledge" that Padme was in trouble with her pregnancy. Just as Palpatine sent thoughts to Anakin when Anakin was forced to remain in the Jedi Council chamber, I think Palpatine also sent the nightmares about Padme's pregnancy.

18. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Obi-Wan had to have known. Like someone mentioned earlier on this thread Padme did mention to Anakin he came bye yesterday, why else would he stop bye.

I wondered, Padme was a very busy politician and loved all the way on Coruscant. Her family was on Naboo. She probably didn't see them often so maybe they weren't aware of the pregnancy at all. They had to have been suspicious of Anakin though judging from the deleted scenes with them in AOTC.

19. Storybound

Storybound Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 1, 2013
    I agree that Obi Wan knew. He did ask Padme where Anakin was in Revenge of the Sith, right? Maybe it just means he knew they were friends, that Padme might know where he was.

Or it could mean that he knew. The question is, what did he know? :p

20. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    Panaka became a Moff of the Naboo sector.

21. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    My point exactly. ;-)

Darth_Kiryan likes this.
  22. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012

Palpatine's words in the RotS novel:

"Anakin, Padme was my Queen; I was her ambassador to the Senate. Naboo is my home. You of all people know how I value loyalty and friendship; do you think I have no friends among the civil clergy in Theed? Your secret ceremony has never been secret. Not from me, at any rate. I have always been very happy for you both."

23. TheRevanchist

TheRevanchist Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 13, 2012
    Kenobi and Palps definitely knew.

24. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    There's lots of hints that Kenobi knew the relationship was closer than appropriate- but not that he knew about the marriage.

In The Clone Wars: Wild Space, Yoda orders Obi-Wan to break the two up- this is a flashback scene to the immediate aftermath of Geonosis, before the marriage- and he does give Padme a lecture. But she ignores it.

25. MRCynical

MRCynical Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 7, 2008
    Well a lot of the English aristocracy (bear in mind the cultural Englishness of the Empire in the OT) would have a close social connection to the vicar in the nearest small village (so not somebody well-known at all) who would in turn have a great deal of loyalty to that family (partly because they were also often the major local employer and landlord in rural communities). I think that's a much more likely scenario for the minister who married Padme and Anakin than a celebrity-preacher figure, though I confess to not yet having read the novelizations of AOTC or ROTS (I have the audiobooks of both, but haven't listened to them yet).

I seem to remember from Wookieepedia that in the AOTC novelization they confront Padmé about the relationship and she promises to break up with him. Again, haven't actually read it myself yet so can't confirm that.

VanishingReality likes this.