main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST JJ Abrams to direct Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Kuestmaster, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Palpatine2016

Palpatine2016 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    Never heard any of this.

2. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    Never heard that before. Link to source?

3. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    Indeed.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  4. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I heard that he kidnapped Ashley Eckstein's cat as well just for kicks! What a jerk!

5. Darth Claire

Dec 21, 2012
    Weird. I heard he has a bunch of enslaved Ewoks doing all his yard work. That evil maniac!

6. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    I heard he used a fleet of Klingon warbirds on loan from Paramount to force George Lucas to sell to Disney. [face_shhh]

7. Darth Claire

Dec 21, 2012
    I heard he regularly orders Wookie fur coats and wears them in front of Han and Chewie all the time. That evil man [face_devil]

Krueger and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  8. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    [face_laugh]

9. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    "He feels that TCW would only continue to tarnish the Star Wars franchise"
    If JJ said that then maybe I was being too harsh to him. I'll be nicer. :p

10. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I would like to volunteer to co-chair your proposed recovery group. I admit... I have a problem.

11. Darth Claire

Dec 21, 2012
  12. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Once again, I love how the Star Wars talk is overshadowing Star Trek during what is supposed to be Trek's time in the spotlight. :p

13. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005
    Having just watched Star Trek Into Darkness, I now fear for Star Wars.

14. NoChesterHester

NoChesterHester Jedi Master star 1

Nov 5, 2012
    Is it out?

15. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    It's that good, huh? I knew it would overshadow Star Wars... I just knew it!!!

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  16. Mange

Mange Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2003
    Yes, it opened in much of Europe (including the UK and Germany) as well as Australia and New Zealand today.

17. WatTamborWoo

WatTamborWoo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 22, 2011
    Obviously it would be wrong to turn this thread into a Star Trek Into Darkness review. But it would be good to get some impressions from those who saw the film about what directorial style JJ put into his most recent film. Were there new elements, were some old ones no longer used?

It may give pointers to future SW.

18. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005
    What you really want to know is - are there lens flares? :p

Yes there are. In moment in particular comes to mind, where one of the Enterprise crew makes a plea to the villain to stop what they're doing. It is supposed to be a dramatic moment...and their face is covered by a massive lens flare.

In general, the shooting style is generally more kinetic and frantic than Star Wars. A lot of dutch angles as well. In terms of the plot, I don't want to spoil anything but you're going to feel like you've seen this movie before, and you have. This is the most unoriginal, derivative film I've seen since the shot-for-shot remake of Psycho. The first Trek may have borrowed heavily from Star Wars but this one...no, it's not another Star Wars clone, it does something much worse than rip off the holy saga.

19. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Interesting...

And I have to say, I've generally held back on the lens flare jokes, but I recently watched Super 8 for the first time. So many of those scenes just did not need a bright blue line cutting sideways across the screen. :p

20. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    If Episode VII is loaded with lens flares, just do what I am going to do... assume they are actual Midichlorians floating about in the air.

21. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Or the Force making itself visible.

And no, midichlorians are NOT the Force. :p

22. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    I think maybe its a tad overreacting to hear someone thinks STID is crap and equate that to 'Oh **** then Star Wars is doomed!!' The writing team is totally different (we've got an Oscar winner on the team don't forget), the stories are totally different. They couldn't BE more different. And what else is he supposed to say in an interview? 'Yeah was never a Star Trek fan and I still ain't.' We know without question he's a Star Wars fan,like the rest of us. And this is the biggest gig he will ever get. I think he's going to put everything he has into making Episode VII great.

*gotta star out the whole word

23. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Not to mention that the scrutiny pouring over his shoulder is going to be at a level he probably cannot even begin to imagine. The Producers of Star Trek approached his directing with a mentality of, "You're a hip young filmmaker with a specific style... reinvigorate our brand". Like the PT or hate the PT, the Star Wars brand wasn't in danger of not making money at the cinema. The Producers of Episode VII are going to have the mentality of "You're a hip young filmmaker with a specific style... no offense, but we have to make sure that you don't screw up our brand". I'm sure they put great faith in his talents, but this film is quite a different monster than new Trek... and not simply from a content point of view.

24. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Trek 09 was essentially a tribute to Star Wars. :p

25. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Yeah, it was the equivelant of a "no pressure trial run". It's almost as if he knew, so used that poor franchise as target practice.

GGrievous likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.