main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Using the force with robotic limbs

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Hurricanejedi, May 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hurricanejedi

Hurricanejedi Jedi Youngling star 1

May 8, 2013
    Hey guys, so i have recently watched the movies again and i got to thinking. Grevious cannot use the force as he is not made up of living things, as the force is the embodiment of all living things,flows through everything etc Why can Luke/Anakin/Savage opress use the force with their robotic hands? Maybe im just being picky but i guess because the hand is connected to them its the "stump" of the hand doing the work....would love to hear some feedback..I would talk to my friends about this but they are probably sick and tired of me talking about Star Wars (fyi after seeing the new star trek movie i am so excited to see JJ's Star wars, if he can make me like Star Trek then holy **** SW will be amazing)

2. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    Grievous was never Force Sensitive to begin with for starters.

You aren't using the Force with your hand you are really using your mind. The hand(s) are more for visuals then anything if you will.

When you are using the Force when you are moving that debris off a clone or a fellow Jedi you are merely picturing what you want; the gestures help you follow through.

Remember too that Anakin/Vader had BOTH his hands taken off but he still makes gestures with at least the right one while calling on the Force. One such scene he does this is when Vader choked Motti during the latter's triad about not frightening them with his "sorcerer's ways"

As long as you are Force Sensitive and have enough of organic parts to properly call on the Force you can use a cybernetic hand to help you use the Force.

If this makes no sense I will try again once I have gotten about seven or so hours of sleep.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

"The Starman and Moon Goddess."

rumsmuggler and Hurricanejedi like this.
  3. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    I agree with Lady Misty. Force telekinesis is done via the mind. In TESB, Luke levitates things while doing a hand stand and Vader uses the Force to toss things at Luke while he's swinging his lightsaber at Luke at the same time.

This question got me thinking, though. I know Vader can't shoot Force lightning from his arm because it would fry his arm, but could Vader learn how to shoot lightning from his arm stump?

Also, can you only shoot lightning from your hands or can you learn how to shoot it from another part of body like your feet or your... uh... well, nevermind?

And, if you can only shoot it from your hands, then what would a Dug use to shoot force lightning because Dugs walked on their "hands" and use their "feet" as if they are hands?

Meditate on this I must... :)

Pensive Padme and Lady_Misty like this.
  4. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    Actually Darth, Vader was told that Force Lightning could fry his suit and he would die if that were to happen. I did read somewhere though that only organic limbs can channel Force Lightning. So maybe one could shoot Force Lightning with a stump.

And before you can say why are you still up? Hopefully I will be going to sleep soon.

5. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Actually, about the Dugs thing, I remember reading in the saga Visual Dictionary that Sebulba was pretty much the only one who did that... yet the Dug from AOTC and ROTJ also walks like that... not to mention the ones in the EU... so perhaps what I read was a misprint...

6. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Huh, well if using Force lightning can fry your cybernetic body parts, what's stopping it from frying your normal organic body parts?

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  7. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    Maybe short circuit would be a better term. Point is supposedly it can't be done.

8. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    There are two occasions where Vader's seen with what appears to be a ball of lightning, rather than the convention streams of it.

Splinter of the Mind's Eye:
    [​IMG]

and Darth Vader & the Ghost Prison.

9. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    That's supposedly Kinetite, whatever the hell that is supposed to be. Imo they should just have given him force lightning ... or not instead of making up such a weird power.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Kinetite

10. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The Rise & Fall of Darth Vader retcons it to being a form of Force Lightning that Vader uses in Splinter. Maybe that's what Force Lightning is- not true lightning at all, but "force".

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  11. Visivious Drakarn

Visivious Drakarn Jedi Master star 3

Apr 20, 2013
    I see no reason why Vader couldn't use Force lightning.
    We have no proof that he can't, EU has many explanations. So, according to movies, Force users use their hands to channel or to point direction to the Force, as Vader does while choking Padme and that guy in Ep 4. Force lightning does not travel through one's body, it manifests itself while leaving it, implants too.
    That's my view of it.

SlashMan likes this.
  12. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    How soon before we have a member called "Vader's Arm Stump"?

Did a member search - only person that comes close is VadersArmpit.

edit: Just imagine Vader shooting force-lightning out of his armpits. I dare you not to laugh out loud.

darth ladnar likes this.
  13. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    If your mind is strong enough, anything is possible.

BultarSwan likes this.
  14. Darth Nerdling

Mar 20, 2013
    My guess is that the midichlorians in the Force-user's body are so so strong/numerous that they protect the Force-user when he creates lightning. That would also explain why Yoda can handle Dooku's lightning with very little difficulty. The midis in Yoda's body aren't overwhelmed.

So, Vader's arm stump would be able to create the lightning but he'd fry his robotic arm. Perhaps, that's why, at least in the Saga, he never uses that power. He couldn't practice the power that much because it's probably a big pain to detach a robotic arm to allow him to practice. So, because he could rarely practice that power, he never learned how to do it or he could only do it very poorly.

(I also pretty much ignore "Splinter." GL's only direction was to leave Han out of it b/c he hadn't gotten Harrison to sign a multi-film contract. I don't think GL was thinking about EU continuity at all at that time.)

15. Jabari

Jabari Jedi Master star 1

Jun 25, 2007
    I don't remember which book exactly, but it was stated that Anakin had to sort of "re-learn" how to connect to the Force with his right hand. The Force only flows through living things, and therefore, a mechanical arm has no direct connection to the Force.

Which would also explain his comparatively weak use of the Force in the OT. He's so much machine that his powers are somewhat diminished. Of course, being the Chosen One, he was more powerful to begin with though.

Hurricanejedi and Lady_Misty like this.
  16. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    ^ Which is why Sith wanna be Lumiya shouldn't have been about to touch it!

17. Darth Nerdling

Mar 20, 2013
    In interviews, I heard GL use this as the explanation for why Anakin can never reach his full potential. He's lost so much of his body, that basically less than 50% of the original Anakin remains, so he can only reach less 50% of his full potential.

I never liked how cut and dry GL makes it. Force potential = number of cells with midichlorians (and how much each cell has). I mean, it's now been discovered that certain diets can cause you to gain fat cells. So if you have more fat cells, then you'd mave midis overall, so that would mean your Force potential would go up. All the Jedi should be eating sumo diets! I like to the think that Anakin's Force potential became less simply because he was so physically and psychological destroyed, and I would never put a precise number of it, but that's what GL says, for what it's worth.

Circular_Logic likes this.
  18. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    That's not quite correct. GL's original midichlorians quote (1977, quoted in The Making Of Star Wars) is:

"Their brains are different; they have more midichlorians than regular people do."

There's a brain chemistry or construction difference as well.

19. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    His force use during the OT was very, very far from weak. He displays masterful telekinesis, telepathy, foresight and so on.
    Like when he read the thoughts of a fully trained Jedi knight? Nobody in the PT could do that. Or force choking from long distance.

20. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    In Rolling Stone, he mentioned Anakin getting burned up in this context and noted "the road to the Force is through the breath", which relates to the "iron lung" situation, so I think physical infirmity comes into it on a level not technically about loss of body mass. After all, we were never told that TESB Luke or AOTC Anakin lost any potential due to their injuries. In TPM Force potential is determined by a test of cell concentration of midichlorians, not total number of midichlorians.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  21. Darth Dominikkus

Darth Dominikkus Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2013
    It does not matter if you have a robotic hand or not, the Force is something you've had with you. You must be Force sensitive. Grievous was, at one in his past, a creature. He was an actually living being, but was sabotaged by Dooku when he left the banking committee to go to his home planet. He was so badly injured that most of his body was replaced by metal and robotic parts, similar to Vader, but without a suit I guess you could say. So, essentially, you don't have to be all living and all natural to use the Force, you must have been sensitive to it. (The Grievous stuff is all EU btw)

Lady_Misty and Darth_Pevra like this.
  22. Hurricanejedi

May 8, 2013
    First off, thanks to everyone for all the input. Yeh i knew that grevious was not force sensitive. I didn't think about the mind aspect of it. Makes total sense. I have read quite a bit about force lighting and im sure i read on wookiepedia that you if you have a robotic arm you will lack the ability to use force lighting. I could talk about star wars all day. I walked past a drunk girl on my way to work and she pointed at the star trek poster and said Star Trek, is that the sequel to star wars? I almost beat her, haha. Im sure the police would understand right? haha

Lady_Misty likes this.
  23. Hurricanejedi

May 8, 2013

The force only flows through living things, that is stated numerous times. To use the force i would imagine at the least you would need an organic brain no? I may be wrong but i could talk about this **** all day haha

24. Darth Dominikkus

Darth Dominikkus Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2013
    You are right to some extent about the Force flowing through living things. But if we were to say that Grievous was force sensitive when he was a living, natural creature, then he would have been able to use the force even in his robotic form. We can say that you must be mostly living to use the Force;)

Hurricanejedi likes this.
  25. Hurricanejedi

May 8, 2013

Im glad this wasn't deemed a retarded question. Love the point about dugs as well haha. You def need an organic limb to use force lighting and they say below that your strength with the force (midi count) can protect you from the damage. That makes sense to me...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.