main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    nope no Duros.. ahem Chiss.. I mean no Andorians!

But he got Cathar into Kirks bed ;)

2. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    I don't suppose your fears were about Abram's skills. Mine are not, at any rate. What I fear is the fate and inclusion of the EU. The sequel trilogy may just as well be incredibly good and ruin it all at the same time. In which case I'd have to say...
    [​IMG]

3. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004

His skills are no question but a fact ;)

As for the EU's fate... I want it to survive. I love it. And nobody can ever take it from me no matter what they do! But if these movies do ignore it or merely parts of it, but deliver something better or something a mix out of all the best the EU had to offer with Sequel feeling to it.. then I am all for it IF the EU gets a fitting closure and a smooth lead into the new Sequel universe/EU by using flowwalking or such in an epic last tale to connect old and new kinda at least giving closure to many plotlines, even if SW does not really need timetravel (we long got it already anyway!).

Lets say, if Sequel Movie Kyle Katarn is like George Harrison in Trek: Into Darkness then I have no choice but to say byebye to the EU! goddammit I'd love to spoil the big twist of the trek movie... may I?

Oh and Trek got a Mofference now including a Moffship! Really! You should see the movie!

4. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    I'm actually more intrigued by that "order67" thing... do I (finally) smell the long-awaited Second Clone War there? [face_thinking]
    (Probably not, I know, but it's still fun to speculate...)

CeiranHarmony likes this.
  5. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Execute Order Sixty-Seven: Deploy the Bombad Frontier. [face_skull]

spicer likes this.
  6. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    I hope those domain names are covers, like blue harvest was for ROTJ. If they are real then wth?!? Gungans? Haven't they learned anything after all these years?

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  7. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    Guess these domain names could be covers for the Sequel trilogies :p

8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Use spoiler tags- people aren't expecting to see unreleased movie spoilers in here.

9. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Maybe that's just it: they have learned, and now Jar Jar and the Gungans are the new phantom menace. :p

Episode Order 67: The Gungan Frontier.

Han and Leia have executed Order 67 and are now hunting down the last traitors of the Old Republic -- led by the evil General Binks -- in order to secure the safety of future generations and safeguard the New Republic from people like Jar Jar screwing the galaxy up again.

10. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Abrams throws his entire lot into a desperate bid to cater to the fans, eh?

Zorrixor likes this.
  11. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Desperate? He would be addressing important existential truths!

[​IMG]

12. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    what do you mean by unreleased? saw it in cinema yesterday ;)

13. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
  14. Grand Admiral Crumb

Grand Admiral Crumb Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 25, 2013
    Lugija Well, if that's the worst they mess up the EU I think we should consider ourselves lucky.

15. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    Do you think they'll even have a new EU?

or will they follow the Marvel model, and just have movie adaptations, picture books, and kids books?

that way the people who see the movie won't have to read any other books.

Zorrixor likes this.
  16. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    ;)

17. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    It's almost as outrageous as Anakin Skywalker only being 1.88 meters tall and so 0.14 meters too short! [face_frustrated]
    Yeah, in all honesty I won't be the remote bit shocked if that happens.

If they're releasing a new film every year, there'll be a guaranteed novelisation every year, probably a comic adaptation and video game, so there's a chunk of non-EU stuff right there which they'll know they can have more comfortable and easily marketable sales from. Even if there then is anything on top of that, I won't be exactly surprised if all we get are direct tie-ins, say a couple of extra novels that explore side characters like we got each year that a new prequel film came out.

Not that Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter wasn't good, but I'm pretty much resigned to that sort of thing becoming the norm for the next few years, rather than the exception. (Even now, it's the direction things are already moving, with almost all new announcements being OT tie-ins, so once they can start doing EP7 or Spin-Off #1 tie-ins, then I just see them doing that instead -- why bother with risky books like Knight Errant when you'll soon have a surefire market for a book about, say, Boba Fett the moment after you've just released a Boba Fett film?)

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  18. newdawn12

Feb 9, 2013
    So will Crucible be the conclusion to the EU?

19. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I've got this terrible image of Denning jumping up and down with glee crying "I get to kill the EU! I get to kill the EU!"

Grey1 likes this.
  20. newdawn12

Feb 9, 2013
    It would have been poetic if Tim Zahn, had written the last book, on a happy note, but I have a feeling Denning might end the EU with a cliffhanger.

Legacy is the only post ROTJ eu material on the map. If Luke is Obi Wan 2.0 in the ST like George Lucas wants, then the Legacy comics are screwed.

Everything that is coming out know takes at least a year to produce, and plot before release, which means Del Rey, and Dark Horse had no idea

what was coming, I don't think licensing did either. now we get to imagine names for Luke's apprentice, or apprentices.

New names, and personalities, for Han, and Leia's child/children/grand children.

We know Arndt, Abrams, and Kasdan, are movie only guys, otherwise he wouldn't have let Kennedy approach them.

I put in ancall to Bad Robot, when I asked if anybody there knew about the expanded universe, they said they don't know, and they don't want to know.

give them a call if you don't believe me, and have your friends call, 1 310 664 3456

21. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    ... and ask them if their refrigerator is running.

22. newdawn12

Feb 9, 2013
    That would be funny :cool: LOL imagine them getting full mailboxes from Star Wars fans, after all they've been dealing with trekkies, they're Lady bugs,
    we can be Hornets, and from my conversations, they have no idea what's coming.

23. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    ....Yeah, I don't think harassing the offices of the director's production company is going to lead to Disney halting pre-production, tossing out the story treatment from Lucas they've already decided on using and which Micheal Arndt is presumably in the process of writing the script for, and starting from scratch. It might lead to a few restraining orders, though.

24. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Phantom's right. Online petition it is!

JediMara77 and GrandMasterKatarn like this.
  25. newdawn12

Feb 9, 2013
    besides the eu will live on in fan fiction, fan art, and fan films. it's not like fans will all of a sudden forget the post rotj eu, that lasted from 91 to 2013,
    they can't take our books, comics, figures, and games away. If they won't use the characters, we still can. the eu will just become a fan maintained au to the movies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.