main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion A few questions about GL and his involvement...

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Seagoat, May 8, 2013.

1. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    I think Lucas may have some involvement but it will be very minimal. I honestly cannot envisage Arndt, Abrams running to Lucas every 5mins saying, "is this ok? is that ok? what do you think about this?" It will probably come down to being asked what his opinions are on certain details to do with the universe they're creating. Anything else? I wouldn't have thought so. And who knows how detailed these treatments were? I wouldn't have thought they were very extensive. Maybe just an outline of the story that the writers have full licence to expand upon as they see fit.

2. Corax78

Corax78 Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 2, 2008
    In terms of treatments, we know that Lucas started some work on the Sequels in 2008. Steve Sansweet said that himself. The treatments could be anything from a few lines to incredibly detailed outlines. Considering that when Lucas let Bob Iger read the treatments he had to sign an NDA, I would say they are very detailed.

3. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    I tend to presume its a presentation treatment rather than an extensively detailed one. Probably a full outline with the important and essential events that make up the story. The rest will be up to Arndt and the others.

4. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I wonder if George liked his own ideas so much that he put his famous "approval" stickers on the pages of the treatment that he was most impressed by.

5. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    Lol. I wonder if the general consensus from Arndt and others, after having read the treatment, was mildly concerned frowns as to how much of the whole thing would have to be revised so it would make sense? No, no. I'm sure it was excellent..

6. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    "This is really great stuff here, George. I don't know about you, but I need a drink..."

Sum-Wan likes this.
  7. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    Ha ha. Lucas, "so mike there's a few details I'd like to go over with you about the..(Arndt has already put his arm over GL's shoulder and is leading them both to the door and interrupts) "later George..much..later."

8. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    They have to use the treaments from GL as per the agreement to sell LFL. We have no idea how in depth they are, but here is an example:

The treatment might say something like "Luke finds out the Darth Plagueis has found a way to return."

Arndt would then come up with how Luke came to know this.

9. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    I was with you all the way up until you said Darth Plagueis.

Pro Scoundrel and DarthBreezy like this.
  10. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    That was a brilliant example of a Joey Arnold treatment. :p

Where is that kid these days...?

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  11. WatTamborWoo

WatTamborWoo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 22, 2011
    LOL. Best thing I've heard all week.

FABULOSO!

12. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    FABULOSO... that was it. I was trying to remember the name of that stamp.

JainaSoloYJK and Jcuk like this.
  13. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    Example.

14. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    It's just I hear that name and I'm reminded instantly of the PT and I kinda just glaze over and drift off. Sorry.

15. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    They don't have to do anything, people have this backwards. Unfettered control was a condition for Disney. They own the title, and the treatments, and are able to with them whatever they wish. They don't need to follow the treatments if there are changes they want to make, they don't need to ask permission. Lucas is an advisor.

When they say they have complete creative control, they aren't lying to you. They don't mean something else. They are telling you the deal.

Darth Claire likes this.
  16. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    This is how GL's involvement will be treated:

[​IMG]

17. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    It seems that they are going to let Kennedy run the show, so that means this will probably stay pretty true to Lucas's vision. The point being, they aren't under obligation to do anything.

18. Corax78

Jun 2, 2008
    Whaaaa!?! Isn't that a complete change of everything you've been saying? And EXACTLY what I've been saying?

19. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    No, because you've been talking about contractual obligations. I've never maintained that Disney is out to change Star Wars for the hell of it. What I have been saying is that they are free to do anything that they wish. If in their screenwriting meetings they decide that the treatments are flawed, they can ball them up and start from scratch. They have the freedom to do anything and everything that they wish.

You and I haven't been saying the same thing at all.

This is what you said

The exact opposite is the case, Disney having unfettered and complete creative control was a condition of the sale. That is the polar opposite.

I've been saying the same thing consistently on this for months.

20. Corax78

Jun 2, 2008
    You know, except for that whole part that Kennedy is running the show, NOT Disney. And the fact that you claim to know exactly what's in the contract when you don't. In fact none of us do. But going by Lucas' past, of is safe to assume that Lucas has more control than what you give him.

It's ok though, sweetheart I still love you. ;)

Also another example that I'm right. I'm willing to bet that is was written in the contract that Kennedy be the overseer of this and NOT just Disney. Also it was Kennedy that brought in Abrams, not Horn or Iger, but Kennedy the President of Lucsasfilm. Also Arndt was brought in before the Disney deal. And the Big 3 were as well.

21. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    Kennedy running the show is a choice. She still answers to Disney, she is a subordinate. All of this is information that is out there, it's not "claims". Don't confuse what you don't know for what I or anyone else knows. Spend some time reading up on the sale, you'll find that everything I've said is public knowledge. You just don't want to accept it.

Disney has complete creative control, you have read the quote yourself on this thread.

You keep talking about assumptions, let me be blunt. There is no need for them. All the parties involved have been very open about all of this.

Lucas sold away his control by choice, he is retiring from big movies.

And to that last point you made, Disney was very clear on this. They would not buy the property without having complete and total control. Not Kennedy, not Lucasfilm, not anyone. They work for Disney now. They answer to the mouse. Her having control of the project is a choice, not an obligation. If they decide it's not working out, guess what? They make a change.

Here is just one quote on the matter

They run the show ultimately.

22. Corax78

Jun 2, 2008
    Do not ever assume that I have not read EVERYTHING that is out there on this. Seriously sweet cheeks I've known about this loooong before the Official announcement was made. LONG before. I was talking about this in 2008 when I was staff at NJOE. I was talking about this while I've been staff at Roqoo Depot since 2010. Now do you honestly think you know more about this topic than me? Because if you do bring it on. Until YOU have seen the FULL contract you don't have a leg to stand on.

23. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    Obviously, you don't. Because what you are saying, and what all the principle parties involved have been saying, are two completely and totally different things.

Full and complete control over the franchise was a condition of the sale. That isn't an opinion or something that I just made up for the hell of it. If you choose to dispute that, you're simply wrong. It's really that simple.

24. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    Disney OWNS Lucasfilm. It's not a mutual alliance. If it comes down to it, and decisions are made. She will do what she is told.

Captain Tom Coughlin likes this.
  25. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    The CEO of Disney says point blank that they have unfettered creative control and people still don't want to believe it, it's fascinating.