main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    god I hate all this hate and doomsaying here...

patience, enjoy what you got. wait till I complain, then there IS something to complain usually! but all this crap is annoying me. and keep your facts straight:

There is the Sword of the Jedi trilogy after Crucible... so stop the Denning bashing. he is a great author with flaws.. everybody got his tropes and issues and favoritisms..Traviss was great too, as were others the fans bashed away... see R.A. Salvatore! It's not like the great Zahn does not have his own issues.. I love him and his work but even he got a lot of flak from fans! We love some more than others, ok, but stop the blaming and do it better if you can ;) cause those who complain have the same issues they dislike in their very own fanfics.. even worse most of the time.

The EU will prevail.. sure it may get the Doc Who treatment, look different and wear a bow tie instead of a TIE-Phantom but honestly.. been there, done that. WE RETCONNED TCW and we can take anything they throw at us and do the same. If no official EU explanation/transition comes, we find one that is logical and makes sense and gets us drooling!

Besides... why are we crying like babies about the death of the EU while Star Trek fans survived a lot worse and are still doing well despite all their losses! We can't look weaker than them!

Jedi_Glover likes this.
  2. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Star Trek fans (and I happen to be one too) never had a "real" EU to begin with. I know that a Trekkie EU does exist, but it has always been regarded as non-canon altogether. This is completely different. And while the overall Star Wars continuity has many flaws, there is a general consensus in SWdom that said continuity is important. Trekdom, on the other hand, is more "never let continuity deprive you of a good story." As if we couldn't have both, or at least try...

Valin__Kenobi and Mia Mesharad like this.
  3. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004

as a matter of fact, SW is more complicated than that:

George always claimed the EU is separate from his vision and as such, like Trek EU actually. The only difference is that SW EU got a single control instance and continuity whereas Trek EU was a free for all with only some basic things set in stone for all.

Thus, the EU we got and love and its continuity still is separate from the George-verse. The EU strives to adapt and fit to the everchanging Lucasverse of course and suffers from the problems coming with these changes. But that is an EU thing. Fans got the illusion the EU and Movieverse are one when in fact from official side it always was separate. Those officials who claimed otherwise were those who worked for the EU/Licensing and thus not really represented the Movieverse folks opinion but the EUs own idealistic crusade to get recognised as official by Lucas.

So SW EU is exactly like Trek EU in comparison to the Movie/TV-Universe. The sole difference is how the EUs internally look/work with canon levels and all that, with some influence of Lucas into projects so that the project EU keeps in line and does not fully become an AU.

So yes, we got continuity, Trek does not or to a lesser degree only given its love for timeline changes and paralell universes making all fittable somehow. But that is EU-internally. When it comes to EU vs. Movies, both are the same.

4. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Then they ll rub a big steaming pile right in EU fans faces and not even thank us for all that $ we spent from 91-13.

5. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    It would have been poetic if Alan Dean Foster, had written the last book, on a happy note, but I have a feeling it would have been the dullest thing imaginable.

cthugha and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    On the plus side, an enterprising businessman could make a killing selling "Not Without My Waru" t-***** to wear to opening night for disgruntled EU fans!

cthugha likes this.
  7. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Maybe Anakin's Force Ghost could sing.

Grey1 likes this.
  8. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    Oh. I was actually going to suggest we find out where a bunch of top Disney executives live and flash mob their houses.

They're not going to put restraining orders out on us if we're already in jail! Think about it, it's perfect!

9. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    I'll probably be receiving my restraining order shortly after the plane load of black gloves passes over Disney HQ and drops its payload.

10. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Denial is such a terrible thing to witness.

11. Grand Admiral Crumb

Grand Admiral Crumb Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 25, 2013
    Sinrebirth Claiming the sky is falling is also a terrible thing. If you were making a film would you want every little insignificant fan calling to tell you about what they think should be in the movie, especially when they don't know anything about what the film is about? There is no evidence for Disney's opinion either way on the EU, and besides why would they disregard so many books that provide free backstory? Consider also the people that have worked together in compiling the current EU. How might Leeland Chee feel if tomorrow he was told that nearly everything he has work on for the past 12 years is rendered null and void?

I think, if anything, the continuity might be more stable now that Lucas isn't personally involved. We all know how much Lucas likes to change his mind about everything that hasn't been committed to video, and sometimes even things that have.

Zeta1127 and CeiranHarmony like this.
  12. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    Well it works both ways, my friend.
    Stray to the dark side and you are doomsaying... stray to the light and you are trusting all will be happy and fine. Both extremes are dangerous... so I prefer the middle path. ;) Expect nothing and winner take it all! with a little doomsaying and hopes mixed in occasionally of course 8)

13. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    A roomful of Disney bureaucrats are even more likely to change their minds depending on what they hear from the focus group of the week.

14. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    The Return of the Comma ^:)^

15. Grand Admiral Crumb

Apr 25, 2013
    The_Phantom_Calamari The difference is that while Lucas as the progenitor of the franchise can decide whatever he wants and the rest of the canon has to adapt to it or go away, Disney has no personal stake in the matter and would be more likely to acquiesce to the Holocron. This of course assumes they would keep the Holocron, but given its existence this remains the likely possibility.

If they nix the EU, they are not likely to attempt to replace it since what would be the point of maintaining a canon if some property down the line might cancel it out. Star Trek has never had a canon outside of the TV show and movies, and superhero comics for the most part have stayed in some sort of flux postion where everything advances but no one gets older. Simply by calling it Star Wars 7 they have established, at least implicitly, an intention to adhere to the canon. Star Trek 11 was not called that because it existed outside the established storyline, and superhero comics develop stories without actually changing the fundamentals of the canon. Superman dies, but there will always be Superman.

Valin__Kenobi and Esg like this.
  16. IceHawk-181

IceHawk-181 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 1, 2004
    Pre-Development references to the film as Star Wars 7 in no way creates an implicit connection to existing canon; it merely demonstrates that Disney is going to be making a 7th Star Wars film.
    Considering what we have heard insofar as early plot plans were concerned, including the appearance of the Big 3, it is very likely that G-Canon is going to be irrevocably separated from C-Canon for the duration of Star Wars' existence as a Disney property.
    While there is likely to be some sampling from the Lit-Universe I fully expect Disney to completely re-write the post-ROTJ history.
    The Expanded Universe as we know it is likely over...

17. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Oh, I'm praying the EU survives. I am very pleased that we survived TCW, though I consider Last Jedi to be so riddled with continuity and prose issues that if I was to pick one to render non-canon it'd be the whole quadrilogy. I was exceptionally positive but the lack of news about SotJ is hurting me terrifically. I love the post-Endor EU. Everything. Utterly and mindlessly. I intellectually acknowledge it's faults, but in my heart it's just too much fun.

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  18. Grand Admiral Crumb

Apr 25, 2013
    What evidence is there that the EU will be rewritten? Disney has effectively said nothing regarding the upcoming film aside from the tentative "Episode 7" title and that it is expected for release at about 2015. Indeed Bob Iger even made reference to the Holocron in one of the press videos regarding their acquisition of LFL.

19. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    They said the new trilogy is gonna be an original story. That may not say the EU will be disregarded, but it is implied.

20. Grand Admiral Crumb

Apr 25, 2013
    Sinrebirth What is there to update on the SotJ trilogy? The first book isn't expected for release until 2014. Keep in mind how much we knew about Into the Void, and how much we know about Crucible even though it is supposed to release in two months. We only barely got both novel's first chapters published in Scoundrels in January. As to your comment about The Last Jedi, I haven't read any of those books, but I suggest probably Michael Reeves has some personal problems adhering to the canon, similar to The One Who Shall Not Be Named.

21. Grand Admiral Crumb

Apr 25, 2013
    That is you forming an uninformed opinion. Every Star Wars book published is an original story. All that means is they are not adapting any current novels to film. Keep in mind the EU is just about at the same point chronologically as since the first movies were released.

22. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I am not saying the whole EU will necessarily thrown out the window, but whenever it could inconvenient the plot it will definitely be disregarded. Why? Because the movies are a lot more important to Disney than the novels.

From my point of view there are only two possibilities
    a) Retconning
    Only works when the movies are pretty close to the EU
    b) Multiverse
    Where the old EU may or may not be continued

23. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    When was it taken? Before LOTF?

Havac , RC-1991 and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  24. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    I would expect to have heard something. We've literally got nothing. No book names. No blurbs. Nothing whatsoever.

It's in the ether with the Kemp Duology.

Something to indicate its not cancelled like TCW, all of Lucasarts, etc, would be delightful.

25. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    I'm becoming more and more convinced the Kemp duology is/was about 1313/the live action tv show, and because neither of those are happening, it's been scrapped. They're just pretending we forgot about it.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.