main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fleet Junkie Flagship- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Capital Ships thread Mk. II)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralWesJanson, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    As is the Lancer, I even have the card somewhere.

2. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    So do I. Foil too. Unlike most, I am rather fond of the TCG and collect it still. It got us quite a few new pictures of ships, a new photo of Mara, and was a quick game to play in between rounds of the much more involved Decipher CCG.

3. boomx2sjk

boomx2sjk Jedi Master star 2

Nov 9, 2012
    I remember my younger bro and I playing the Decipher CCG for days...we upped the deck you played with to several hundred cards. The space battles would be absolutely massive...

4. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I have very fond memories of the TCG. Thanks to them, the medical frigate was given the name Redemption and we learned about other MC80 Home One-type cruisers. For those little tidbit, they have earned my eternal praise and devotion!

--Adm. Nick

5. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
    You may be thinking the Decipher CCG, not the WotC TCG. And didn't the Redemption first show up in X-Wing?

6. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Gah, I was thinking of the CCG, not the TCG. As for the Redemption, IIRC it was first shown to be a frigate in X-wing but wasn't specified to be the Medical Frigate until it was revealed as such in the CCG. Then again, my memory might be rusty, as it has been ages since I looked at either game.

--Adm. Nick

7. boomx2sjk

Nov 9, 2012
  8. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
    $4 for Redemption? That's about right, actually. It was a rare, and has decent virtual text Call it $3-4 normally. Mains and more important ships are in the $7-15 range, Coruscant, Theed, and Ref III rares are about twice the normal value of rares, AI cards are about twice the price of their normal counter parts, and Ultra Rares tend to range from $30 to $80, with a few spiking higher, and a couple of normal rares (Sidious mainly) also in that range. Only dissapointment was that Star Wars never had rarity marks on the cards themselves like Magic started doing later. Star Wars beat Magic to the concept of formal Ultra Rare cards though.

9. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    For those of you following Legacy Vol.2, we got two new ships in the second issue. One is a starship that appears to be either a variant of a DP-20 Corellian Gunship or some new CEC design with a similar bow. It is the private vessel of a droid that Ania Solo knows. The other new vessel is a heavy starfighter/blastboat sized vessel that is used by the Carreras PSF. Blocky craft with stubby wings. There are about three dozen of them shown in the last panel of the issue.

So, still no actual fleet stuff or any references to the Galactic Federation Triumvirate navy, but at least we got some new ships.

--Adm. Nick

10. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    Those gunships might be based off of the LAAT stock. Looked that way to me, at least.

11. boomx2sjk

Nov 9, 2012
    Good Heavens

12. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    So, I noticed a really cool image on TOS under the "Alderaan cruiser" entry (better known as the Corellian Corvette, but I digress :p):

http://starwars.com/explore/encyclopedia/technology/alderaancruiser/

At the top, select the third image choice for the vessel. It shows a computer generated Corellian Corvette that shows a few cool additions that are not on the original ANH model. For starters, the upper turbolaser turret appears to be a quad gun and the lower turbolaser turret is standard. The four center guns are actual small, rounded single barrel turret guns, while there is also a pair of single barrel cannons on the side of the vessel right before the engines.

I wonder where this is from? I really dig this version of the corvette.

--Adm. Nick

13. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    One of the TCW Episodes with Bail has it, Supply Lines afaik.

14. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    It showed up in the show.

[​IMG]

15. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Ah, Supply Lines, the one appearance of the Tantive IV that managed to remove it from RotS and screw up the story of Corla Metonae at the same time.

16. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    For those of you who have picked up Star Wars #5, there is a cool Rebel Fleet shot. Lots more Gallofree starships in the fleet. I REALLY like the idea of the Rebels buying more than just then the GR-75 line. I want a retcon that states the Rebels bought several designs and modified some into makeshift warships.

--Adm. Nick

17. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    WEG has shown a few variation of the „Rebel Transport“, especially the Prison ship from Otherspace springs to mind, there are also the Junkers from CTD, whilst there was also mention of a few getting used as make shift troop ships and support ships for fighter squadrons (though the bigger Action series seems to be more popular as carriers). Plus there are several that get used as kamikaze ships. Though it has been mentioned a few times that Gallofrees bought by the Rebels would actually have their weapons striped so those could be added to more battle worthy vessels, so refitting them as warships might not really be worth the effort.

As for other stuff then the GR-75 there is of course also the Nova Courier which seems to be insanely armed for a light freighter, as well as Gozanti Cruisers, both build by Gallofree.

18. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
    We really ought to see more stuff built by other companies than the big 4 (KDY/Rothana, Rendilli Stardrice, CEC, and SFS). The catalogs of companies like Gallofree, SoroSuub, Hoersch-Kessel, TaggeCo, Damorian, and Koensayr could use some expansion compared to the big 4. Numerous minor shipwrights could use some love too, like Mesens Corp, Hyrotii, Bengel Shipbuilders, Byblos Drive, Silviut, Muurian Industries, Galentro Heavy Works, Harkners-Balix, and many of the companies that showed up on space loot in Galaxies.

darthscott3457 and Tzizvvt78 like this.
  19. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    I would put Mon Calamari in the big four, at least by the GA-era. All those government contracts producing Star Defenders, battle cruisers, heavy carriers, frigates, and assault ships probably make Dac one of the largest, at least in terms of military starships.

I am not sure if Rendili qualifies in the post-Imperial era. IIRC, they lost a lot of contracts to Kuat and they switched their focus to stations and the like.

--Adm. Nick

20. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Hmm though you have to wonder if they might not get a massive amount of New Republic contracts, after all Sienar is of the list by Dark Empire and Kuat would still be rebuilding. Also someone has to cover the Patrol ships market, in which RSD was always popular, even under the Empire.

21. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    The Illustrated Guide mentioned Loronar and Rendili as two notable examples, along with Kuat, of space construction centers that assembled the Emperor's largest battleships and special weapons platforms. Those three were described as "notable", which implies even more shipyards in this business.

Note that "assembling" doesn't mean the same as "designing", a company can be under contract to build other's companies' designs. Like CEC did with Star Destroyers, according to TEGTW and Rothana and Patriim did with the Eclipse-to-Tarkin conversion, according to TEA.

There's also the bit where companies that spied on and copied the Acclamator design for their own fleets during the Clone Wars, like Grizmallt.

darthscott3457 likes this.
  22. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    There should be a lot more shipyards out there. I would think that Anaxes/Axum and Alsakan would have some sort of major shipbuilding capability based on their respective histories. I also wonder how the Foerost shipyards have ebbed and flowed as a major builder over the history of the Republic. Same goes for Fondor.

23. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
    Don't forget Sluis Van

24. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    And Merkuni Drives, which seems to have a dagger-shaped product with their Trenchant-class cruiser.

25. anotherdemon

anotherdemon Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 29, 2013
    Anyone have an idea of what's new in next version of The Complete Cross-Sections (July 2013)?