main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Star Wars: Kenobi by John Jackson Miller

Discussion in 'Literature' started by DarthJenari, Oct 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    You know what? To everyone complaining about the cover vs the original artwork, stop and think for a second.

We're getting a novel all about Obi-Wan freaking Kenobi! By freaking JJM! Now sit down, shut up, stop complaining and praise the Lit gods that this is happening at all! ^:)^

2. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Bah. The cover and the book are two different things entirely. I can quibble one and look forward to the other.

cdgodin, JackG, Zorrixor and 2 others like this.
  3. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Is that truly how far we've fallen? :p

I'm not inherently sick of Photoshop covers like many of us, but I do really miss the more abstract stuff in general, and the Scalf image in particular. I would've loved to see just a touch of Guiness in there.

Ulicus likes this.
  4. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Obi-Wan would no doubt agree. The old soak.

Rogue_Follower and RC-1991 like this.
  5. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    [​IMG]

:p

Hey, I'm just saying I'm glad we're getting this book instead of, say, more 0 ABY filler. (Assuming of course that the other two Rebels books will be 2 ABY as well.)

But as far as "photoshopped" covers go I think this one is really good.

6. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    LOL i'm not going to throw away and trace of criticism I have for this just because we're finally getting an Obi-Wan novel.

I agree though the cover isn't the worst we've ever had. Better than Crucible at least.

7. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I preferred the old cover. A wider shot, and it really sold Obi-Wan's sorrow. In this one he looks like he's ready to kickass, and while I obviously haven't read the book, it seems like the former tone would be more appropriate. I don't believe the ignited lightsaber is necessary at all; after all, is Obi-Wan not supposed to be giving up that part of his life? Would it not make more sense to keep his lightsaber sheathed?

Zorrixor and DarthJenari like this.
  8. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    Especially as the novel is supposed to explain how he got from where he was in ROTS to ANH, from Jedi Master and General to Crazy Old Wizard and Hermit.

9. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Personally I felt the bold red impact lettering on the original cover "stood out" more than the fairly thin "Kenobi" on the new one, which is focusing much more on Ewan McGregor's face than the title itself. Not that the new one is a bad cover as far as photoshops go, but it still feels more generic, whereas the original had a certain je ne sais quoi that was very unique that existing photographs that are simply reworked for a different purpose than the one they were actually shot for can never completely emulate.
    Welllll, if I wanted to be an anal minded literary buff, I could argue the paratextual stylistics behind the cover frame the entire context of the reading experience and consequently influence however trivially the interpretation readers subsequently arrive at. :p

But I won't argue that, as, yeah, it's just a cover, and with JJM writing the story will still be good. :p

10. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I actually don't think the cover is that bad compared to the previous one. I could do without the trend toward "One character staring at you from the cover" in general, but it's obviously going to pop up in a single-character-focused novel. I could also do with fewer photoshopped covers, but as that genre goes, this isn't all that bad. It's nowhere near the greatest example of the cover craft, but it's no Crucible.

11. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Yeah, disappointed they didn't use the original promotional art (which was great), but meh, it could be worse. They could've made it like FotJ's covers, as someone else mentioned, and it doesn't look horrible or odd, and its not blatantly obvious that they just copied someone's head onto another picture (such as the Apocalypse cover), this one just looks... generic, I guess. Well, its not like there's no shortage of prequel Obi-wan images and he turned out great (compared to grumpy looking Anakin), and guess it'll look better on the shelf. Just hope they don't try to market it as a Clone Wars novel or something like that, since the cover looks more General Kenobi rather than soon to be old hermit Ben Kenobi, at least there' s a Tatooine background.

12. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Why does he have his gauntlets on? [face_plain]
    Is there a mandate to tie every single piece of EU into TCW somehow?
    The other cover was miles better.

13. Grand Admiral Crumb

Grand Admiral Crumb Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 25, 2013
    What's the deal with the braces? He won them or something?

14. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    There's still time for another cover redesign, next time with a close up. :p

15. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Grievousdude likes this.
  16. Darth_Foo

Darth_Foo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    If only the dust-jacket was two sided. Then we could have both covers.....

17. Jabari

Jabari Jedi Master star 1

Jun 25, 2007
    Love that statue! It's just dripping with an untold story. If I had $400 spare dollars... but now I can get this book instead. :D

I really loved the preview art, but I like this cover too.

Valairy Scot likes this.
  18. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    Not the best, but hey, it's Obi-Wan, it's hard to mess things up with a champ like him.

Valairy Scot likes this.
  19. Jedifirefly5

Jedifirefly5 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 5, 2012

I agree I'm also a fan of the collage. I like seeing faces fraught with fear and awe. At god only knows what spine chilling thing! Now it's just , well, let's not even get into that last series. The Force.... of Something...

20. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
  21. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    This plot... reminds me vaguely of Nomad.

22. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    I look forward to reading what Obi-Wans thoughts on Tatooine are.

23. JohnJacksonMiller

JohnJacksonMiller Mastermind: KOTOR, LTotS, Knight Errant star 3 VIP

May 24, 2005
    And you'll get to do exactly that. He has quite a few!

24. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    "Man, it's really, really hot. I need a drink."

werpudel likes this.
  25. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.