main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion A few questions about GL and his involvement...

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Seagoat, May 8, 2013.

1. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    See: Bolded Text

Corax78 likes this.
  2. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    I got you, I'm just saying

3. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    If Lucas's conditions contradicted what Iger said in his quote, it begs the question, why come out with such a definitive statement? Why didnt he say, "going forward with the Star Wars brand it has been agreed that any final, creative decisions we have to make regarding the franchise will have to ultimately be approved by George himself. But he did not say that. So the conditions Lucas put forward obviously have no bearing on that.

4. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Possibly, for the same reason that the current president of a company hangs a framed picture of his predecessor with the words "President Emeritus" over his own desk. His input will be respected (and even sought), but out of respect moreso than that the retiree still runs the company. Lucas understands the brand better than anyone. It doesn't mean he has executive control over its future.

5. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    I think that sums this all up perfectly

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  6. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    LOL. I hope that's EXACTLY how it is!

darthbarracuda likes this.
  7. Corax78

Corax78 Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 2, 2008
    Share holders know that Star Wars sells. Trust me, I'm a share holder.

SeinEwigerSchatten and LunarMoth like this.
  8. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
  9. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Not from Supershadow... not factual...

10. lord_eidolon

lord_eidolon Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 2, 2004
    Uh... Um...

*blasts keyboard*

Boring conversation anyway. LUKE, WE'RE GONNA HAVE COMPANY!

11. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    It's not about quantity it's about quality. GL added great details to the IJ films, the OT, and to other people's projects, like Bram Stoker's Dracula (Mina beheading Vlad, part of the internal logic of the film's magic, was suggested by GL and Coppola went back and filmed it for the final cut), The Dark Crystal (Henson turned to GL for advice after the first test screening which didn't go over very well) and many other films. One good idea from GL is worth 20 by most other filmmakers. I'm sure Episode VII will feature a few memorable moments that turn out to have been contributed to GL!

12. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    "Look, it's the guy who: created this company, invented all of its enduring, globally loved, academically studied, classic characters that cross over generations of ardent fans, has been innovating cinema technology up till, like...a few months ago, and wrote the "detailed treatments" for this entire trilogy. Let's ignore him!"

Yeah, right.

13. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm sure of that, too. The moment that the words STAR WARS pop up on the screen, well that's one great moment we'll all owe to George right there. :)

14. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    They probably took the material they had from Lucas and began refining it. If it was just Lucas working on it he'd be doing the same thing probably. It's a process getting to a final shooting script.

15. Corax78

Jun 2, 2008
    Arndt was brought in before the sale was complete. It s that simple, his involvement was Lucas and Kennedy's doing.

16. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Yeah, I'm just wondering if George wrote actual treatments himself or did he just give his notes to Arndt. Or, did they work on the treatments together? Or, did George write treatments and then Michael wrote second treatments that were more detailed? Or, did the article get it wrong and only George wrote treatments? Based on how long Arndt has been involved, I'd think it likely that they worked on the treatments together, but I'd like some more details.

17. Corax78

Jun 2, 2008
    I doubt we get more details on that until closer to the film's release. Also Kasdan and Kinsberg were brought in before the deal was done as well.

From the outside looking in it appears that these movies were going to happen with or without Disney. It's also all of these known things about what was going on before that sale that while Disney has control a lot of things Lucas and Kennedy did have stuck through past the sale.

18. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    Nobody is denying that.

George did a lot of work on the treatments when talks with Disney started up.

19. Corax78

Jun 2, 2008
    Correction: George had done a lot of work on the treatments WELL BEFORE the talks began.

20. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013

The heavy lifting of getting the sequels off the ground began after 2011, and was done to make Lucasfilm a more attractive buy. All of this was part of a comprehensive strategy.

WE NEED TO DO SOMETHING TO MAKE IT MORE ATTRACTIVE, that is a reference to his plans to sell the property. All of this is part of a large retirement strategy.

21. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    Treatments are a strange animal because there is no real format that they need to follow. That being said, We know that GL wrote treatments for the ST, which could be anything from single paragraph, very basic overview of each episode's storyline, to multi-page detailed outlines for each installment. Personally, I would guess that they are most likely a couple pages for each episode that give a structure and direction for the story and it's connections to the previous films and establishments.

It would not be odd at all for Arndt to then take those treatments and flesh them out to a more complete outline of the story that would then grow into a final screenplay. These would still be considered treatments in this stage.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  22. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Dear god, I started this thread with a simple question, now look what's happened.

23. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Never understimate the power of the dork side...

24. Golden Jedi Knight

Golden Jedi Knight Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 2, 2012
    Hey, lightsaber colors are a serious subject. You know the pale blue of Luke Skywalker's lightsaber? Before it was digitally remastered? I want Luke's lightsaber to be that color in Episode VII.

25. Poor Greedo

Poor Greedo Jedi Master star 2

Nov 6, 2012
    thanks!!