main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Buff, NY Lightsabers and stuff...

Discussion in 'Buffalo, NY' started by JediXXL, Apr 11, 2003.

1. BigDanLevitan

BigDanLevitan Jedi Master star 5

Jun 26, 2005
    Th

They have a different one today. Yesterday it was the malice with sound. Too bad I'm still dealing with a saber that won't light up.

2. Jonathan Xavier Jones

Jonathan Xavier Jones Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 10, 2012
    I have bought 1 saber (although it was a duel saber so I guess that is two) in my life and it was from UltraSabers. I have been pretty happy with it for a while thus far and plan on getting a new one with the Yari extensions to make a Pike-saber

3. JDuffPhoto

JDuffPhoto Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 3, 2010
    My Ultrasaber has been reliable for the most part, but it was purchased before Ultrasabers won a daytime emmy for best soap opera drama in the saber industry. To quote Yoda, "How embarrassing. How embarrassing!"

Last practice it started flickering. Good thing I only use it as a backup for rehearsals and not a performance saber.

I just repaired Jedi Bill's saber as I had to replace the battery pack. I don't know what guage wire they are using, but I'm just going to say that the standard guage wiring on a Radio Shack battery pack (which is quite thin) was twice that of the wiring in the saber...

4. Jonathan Xavier Jones

Sep 10, 2012
    I never heard about Ultrasabers and their troubles, what happened?

5. Ensidious

Ensidious Jedi Knight

Mar 9, 2013
    Can you work any magic with the force fx master replicas if one of mine go down?!

6. BobaChris12

BobaChris12 Former RSA star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 30, 2002
    Internally, the wiring is thin, and constructed with multiple pieces of wiring. This tends to diminish the power to the LED, thus giving the blade a faded color and less vibrant.

7. Jonathan Xavier Jones

Sep 10, 2012
    I have noticed a bit of thin wiring, is there a way to fix it?

8. BobaChris12

Aug 30, 2002
    Make boondoggles with the wiring to raise funds for a new saber?

Seriously, you can live with it and hope it doesn't go out when you need it, or replace the wiring. Best option is to buy a better quality saber.

9. Jonathan Xavier Jones

Sep 10, 2012
    Hmm. I do really like the cheap prices of Ultra though. Where would a better saber be to buy?

10. Wild Sidewalker

Wild Sidewalker Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Rule of thumb: you get what you pay for.

11. JDuffPhoto

Jun 3, 2010
    I won't even touch them.

12. JDuffPhoto

Jun 3, 2010
    Wiring can be replaced. I've completely gutted and rewired one of their sabers before, fixed a few more. They seem to mass produce their sabers which keeps the overall price down, but lowers the quality. The hilts are going to be the real savings because whoever is running parts for them is doing so in such quantity that the cost of material is lower. I think they just rush through their wiring and use whatever scrap wire is available to piece together a length of wire. The series of splices, compounded with the fact that they aren't necessarily using the same guage wiring will limit the current flow, causing your LED to be dimmed, and giving more of a chance of something breaking.

Ultimately, the best saber that you are going to get will be the one that you make for yourself. Take the time to research and learn a new skill or two and you will build a much better quality saber than is offerred by Ultrasabers.

There is a shop online that sells parts and allows you the opportunity to design your saber using the available parts. They have a forum that you can refer to for helpful tips - just don't ask noob questions or you're going to find yourself burned real quick.

13. Wild Sidewalker

Sep 5, 2012
    While I think making one's own lightsaber is very Jedi, I guess I am not that much of a Jedi... I'd like a replica of Quinlan Vos' lightsaber with sound and the ability to change saber color at will from green to red. The idea of assembling that on my own is beyond intimidating; I can barely imagine doing anything other than buying it already assembled or as a kit with all the parts predetermined by someone else.

So, I don't see anything wrong with buying pre-built lightsabers always just realizing as I said above that you generally get what you pay for. And if that is hundreds of dollars, you damn better well get what you paid for!

14. BobaChris12

Aug 30, 2002
    Bill, the work isn't that hard to assemble a saber. It is a skill that is easily taught and easier learned.

15. lgtsbr

lgtsbr Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2002
    I now know a project I want to tackle for myself - after kicking around on 1 of the boards I want to do a Crystal Chamber for a Graflex, I have my real Graflex that is a ESB saber, now I want to do a companion that is almost like a reveal saber, pull the tube back and see the guts

But that is later in the summer, once I get caught up on other things ;)

Dave

16. JDuffPhoto

Jun 3, 2010
    Bill,

Doing a saber as you describe is going to be a challenge - no doubt. Anytime that you get into soundboards and multi die LEDs things become a bit more complicated. I was actually talking more about the stunt sabers with simple wiring, no sound. Those are rediculously easy to build and a good beginner project if you are looking into getting into electronics. Sound boards are a little more difficult and tedious and takes some skill, but it still doesn't take an expert to put one of those together. I had never built a saber with sound until I tried my own. I don't think I'll order from a Vendor again (except possibly a Mokoto saber, if I can find one I like...) since building the saber is half the fun.

I forget the fellow's name, but we had a Quinlan character a couple years back with an accurate saber hilt and the changing LED that he could change between Red and Green. It was running a Petit Crouton 1.5 board, which is the next best thing to the Crystal Focus board that is made in France. It's actually designed by the same person, but he released the plans to make that board more available to the market rather than releasing in batches of 200 boards per run as he does for his CF line once or twice a year. Anyway, I want to say that he paid in the ballpark of $700 for his saber, possibly a little more for the custom machining and wiring.

All in all, you do get what you pay for. Look up Vaders Vault or Genesis Custom Sabers on youtube. Those sabers are a genuine work of art and you pay big money for some of their works, but you definitely get what you pay for.

Wild Sidewalker likes this.
  17. BigDanLevitan

Jun 26, 2005
    GOt burned by the US company. Got shafted for the may the 4th sale. Took the guy until today to respond as to why. Oh well.

Eventually JDuff Sabers will be up and running.........:cool:

18. JDuffPhoto

Jun 3, 2010
    JDuffSabers is up and running with exclusive member deals!!!

Which means, if you are member of the NorthRidge, I can certainly build you a saber. :D

19. Wild Sidewalker

Sep 5, 2012
    So what kind if sabers are possible through JDuffSabers? Basic dueling sabers or more sophisticated? Will you be doing replica sabers?

20. JDuffPhoto

Jun 3, 2010
    For now, just the basics. I had a thread basically explaining how we go about doing this, but i'm sort of limited on what I can do as far as replicas as I don't have a full machine shop to do alot of the detail, nor do we have anyone in the group that would want to spend the $$$ on having me do that work. (the Pro Sabersmiths charge for their time and it's pretty costly). Basically, I don't get paid for any of this. You pay for parts for whatever you want and order those parts directly; I assemble it. That way, I don't deal with any money what-so-ever.

Wild Sidewalker likes this.
  21. JediXXL

JediXXL Force Ghost star 6

Apr 11, 2003
  22. Mother_of_the_Twins

Mother_of_the_Twins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 8, 2005
    ::singing::

I got a lightsaber! I got a lightsaber!

Yippee!!!

23. BigDanLevitan

Jun 26, 2005
    Bought some new toys to add to my ever growing Steve Lukasik-esque collection.......7 and counting......:cool:

24. WookieeJedi

WookieeJedi Merchandise Coordinator/North Ridge Diplomat star 4

Jun 15, 2009
    Uh oh....better get moving if people are trying to catch me lol

25. Jonathan Xavier Jones

Sep 10, 2012
    I plan on ordering a new Saber from US. But it might be better to go through JDuffSabers?