main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Rotj full-size Millenium Falcon question

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Erk, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Erk

Erk Jedi Master star 4

Aug 12, 2001
    Why didn't they use the falcon built for the cut sandstorm scene for when Lando is going to the falcon instead of that poor matte?

2. TOSCHESTATION

TOSCHESTATION Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2003
    That IS a good question. [face_thinking]

3. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012
    It was needed....

4. WhiskeyGold

WhiskeyGold Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    Guess cause its was in side maybe.

5. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    The matte included the Falcon and the background, although it seems the shot could have been composed differently and shot close enough to the Falcon not to include all that. Where was the sandstorm filmed? I haven't seen the Blu Ray extras and only the footage that was shown from Ben Burtt's computer at Celebration V.
    I'm not one for changes, but that matte shot is one that makes me wonder why Lucas chooses to tweak other stuff but not that.

6. Mnhay27

Mnhay27 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    Yeah, I could never figure why he didn't do anything to improve the speeder bike chase and the Rancor. They actually look worse on DVD than they did on VHS IMHO.

7. OldSchoolFan

OldSchoolFan Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 6, 2013
    I've always wondered that too ever since I had Jedi on VHS and found out about the cut sandstorm scene, why build a full scale prop, film it then cut all the scenes it appears in. Then when it's needed in a later scene they use a static, badly composited matte. I always hated the scene where Lando walks away, turns completetly black and stops dead in front of the matte.

8. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I didn't know about this. Huh, interesting.

9. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Is there a link available for the Tatooine cut scene?

10. OldSchoolFan

OldSchoolFan Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 6, 2013

There are a couple of the cut scenes here, and the sandstorm scene is one of them around 2.50 I think...hope you enjoy.

11. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    One word: either money or time.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

"The Starman and Moon Goddess."

12. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Yeah, it looks like they shot the Tattooine as a physical set, then reshot along the way replacing it as they did, then came to the hanger scene and decided not to break out the set as it was long put away. Something like that. It'd be nice to have more permanent set ups until everything is done.

13. Darth Scourge

Darth Scourge Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 4, 2000
    For the Tatooine sandstorm scene (filmed on Stage 2 at Elstree on January 11th, 1982), the full size Falcon was built only partially, and then dismantled at some point afterwards.

I agree, it certainly would have been cool if they'd reassembled it later and used it for the hangar scene.

As it is, the full size Falcon mock up doesn't appear in the finished movie at all.

14. sith_rhino

sith_rhino Jedi Master star 2

Jul 9, 2007
    Ah, what a waste. :(

15. Aaronaman

Aaronaman Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 12, 2013
    Thats such a great Star Wars fan comment hahaha...Two words: fantastic

To use the full sized Falcon would mean they would have had to have built alot more of the physical set....it had to have been a cost saving measure