main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canderous and Cade's Crazy Cantina: a shiny new fanfiction social thread!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Commander-DWH, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    earlybird-obi-wan. What are Black Tits? I better stop with that question lest I be banned. Since they are flying I assume they are birds.

2. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    They are little birds and look like this
    [​IMG]

3. Iverna

Iverna Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2008
    I'm not sure myself, but whatever you do, do NOT google "black tits". :p

There's a blue tit in my garden who always comes over to my window and kind of flutters around there. I have no idea why, it just hangs out and looks in the window and then flies away again. If my cat's there, she gets really excited about it.

Edited because I know nothing about bird species.

4. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Google 'Mezen' and you get the birds or 'Black Tit' or 'Parus' in the wikipedia and you will get them

5. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
  6. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    It is snowing! Noooooooo!

7. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Gross. It was like winter here last week, now it's 25 degrees Celsius, which is like the height of summer heat here. I'm not complaining, it was just so quick, it was bizzare.

I'm leaving for Vancouver on Friday for a weekend of fun. It's about a 11 hour drive from here. I'm quite excited. I'm going with my sister and we are going to do a TON of stuff.

8. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Those birds resemble black-capped chickadees.

As for the cat, I saw her again and put food out. My brother is over, so I wasn't able to go out and snuggle her.

9. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    OH NO YOU DIDN'T!!! It was 80 degrees last week and this is what I woke up to this morning. Happy freaking Mother's Day! :mad:

Go home Michigan, you're drunk!!!
    [​IMG]

TrakNar likes this.
  10. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Today, I have too many meetings and things to go to, so I went to my parents' place on Friday. We saw 42, went out for dinner, I had a piano lesson from Mom before we stopped stalling and played through her present. I gave her a book of duets by our favorite composer, Shostakovich. They're hilarious. And we watched Doctor Who, which she has not watched much at all. It was lots of fun. I'm slightly annoyed by my sister who has decided to throw my nephew's birthday party without actually inviting me. I only know because I stumbled across the invitation at my parents' house.

11. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    Jedi_Lover - BAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Oh, Michigan. I was glad to go home for a week and visit everyone, but I do not miss the crazy weather mood swings. Not even a little bit. If you want to leave those behind, you should come join the substantial Michigan expat community in California! There are actually a ton of us out here. :p

DarthIshtar - I love Shostakovich, and have heard many words applied to various pieces of his, but I have to say that "hilarious" has never been one of them, unless it's a case of "It's hilarious someone thought this would be possible to play." This makes me terribly curious about these duets- which ones are they?

12. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    That is where I came from. I lived seventeen years in San Diego. I didn't want to move here...but Darth Real Life sometimes takes choices away from you.

13. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Hey don't send that Michigan stuff here. The birds won't like it at all. And for the flowers at the Keukenhof it is a disaster.
    My nephew loves Russian composers and has played a lot of piano pieces

14. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    Hey, at least the snow is pretty, right? Sure, you're sick of it about now, but... it's precipitation. (Don't mind me. We've not had nearly enough rain out here in NorCal and I'm cringing at the mere thought of fire season, which is starting to hit early and we had smoke last week brought here by the wind.)

15. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    The first is Valse, the second is Polka and the third is La Poursuite. I've tracked the Polka down to the Ballet Suite No. 2 and sounds like a perfectly ordinary polka until the parts where he throws in unrealistic harmonies like an e-natural, b-flat, b-natural. The one called La Poursuite has the Secondo part doing this relentless oompa oompa pattern, but the Primo is this manic little melody that occasionally gets interrupted by huge, jarring chords, like you were frolicking through a meadow and got shot or stung by a bee or fell of a cliff. Then it goes into this very carnival section that my mom says sounds like Chopsticks on Crack. But because it sounds like calliope music, it's like John Williams wrote the score for It. And the Secondo part has to do it staccato, so it looks like a puppetmaster at the piano. THAT is what I mean by "hilarious." We were sitting there during the mild Valse that sounds like Strauss and disbelieving that it was written by the same guy who wrote the Baba Yar symphony and the Symphony No. 5 with its dissonant openings. And then we got to the middle and went, "Ah, there he is. It's Shostakovich after all."

Oh, here we go.

16. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    Where did you guys say you get glasses online? I need new ones and can't afford the $350 that this local place wants.

17. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Crap, I should call my mom...

18. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    Frames Direct.com... and they need your RX, along with the distance between your eyes, and you have to fax them the prescription.

Edit: distance between your pupils. Not your eyes. No, it's not the same thing.

19. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    I found Zennioptical.com and they don't require a fax, but they do need the PD. Which I don't have ATM.

20. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I think if you go into any glasses place, they'll probably measure your PD, though my prescription has it on it.

21. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    Fascinating on the Shosty- all that I've played of his has been the more well known I'M A DARK AND SAD RUSSIAN COMPOSER p.s. I'm totally giving the finger to the government in musical form shhh don't tell that's what makes it fun. I wonder if the more whimsical pieces are earlier work? I'm used to his idea of 'whimsical' being images of dancing skeletons. That looks like a fun piece to play, though.

Man, I need to befriend more violinists. I'd love to play a Shosty quartet again, but finding violinists good enough to do it has proven to be difficult, which you wouldn't think would be so hard, but somehow I just keep meeting more cellists. I'd say this was because I'm dating one, but this was a problem that predates my ever meeting him. :p

22. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    That's where I get them and I've had them for quite some time. As Briannakin said you should be able to get it at a optometrist but there are instruction on Zenni that tell you how anyone can measure it for you. My mom did it for me since my Rx didn't have it. They do say not to measure it yourself because you need to look at a distance.

23. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    That stray kitty came by again. I saw her outside, so I opened my window and said hi, and she came running over. I put a chicken patty in the microwave, then went downstairs to let her in. I pet her, and held her, and cuddled her while waiting for the microwave, then I got her food ready, took it outside and fed her. Such a nice kitty. :3

24. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    So I called my optometrist and was informed that they don't measure my PD until I buy glasses from the establishment they're connected to. [face_plain] So I had a couple friends do the measurement, a few times, and went with the most consistent one (my right eye has a tendency to drift out of focus, so it can be difficult to stare straight ahead without moving). I hope that these glasses work . . .

25. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Okay, is it just me or has there been an increase of oncoming traffic crossing the middle line and scaring the hell out of people! Three times yesterday I had people drift into my lane. Today the person jerked out so far I thought she was trying to pass the traffic in front of her...despite the fact that I was driving in the opposing lane with my lights on...in the daylight. I veered on to the shoulder to avoid her. I am pretty sure she was on the phone. When I was a teen we didn't have cell phones and we managed to drive around town without talking to people. Hang up and drive!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.