main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion Fisto's Disco: The LACWAC Social Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by G-FETT, Jul 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ahsoka_Tano_11

Ahsoka_Tano_11 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 30, 2013
    Good to hear it, Jordan1Kenobi! :)

2. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    The funny thing about that is that in my experience, even though we never got assigned seating in college, and only rarely in high school, everyone sits in the same seat every day anyway. They don't have to at all, and, in college, often don't know most of the kids in the class so don't feel obligated to sit near people they know. But still, everyone more or less sits in the same place! Freaky!

3. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    I unleashed the two remaining pups on their father last night.[face_mischief]

They chased the dude for 3 hour straight.:p

20130508_200610-1.jpg

4. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Dublin, oh Dublin.

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    From some bartender my brother ran into on his honeymoon in Ireland:

"Are you on holiday?"
    "Yes."
    "Don't drink too much Guinness."

Ah, the reputation we Americans seem to have.

6. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Springtime is fantastic, every seed on earth is buried in my pups' fur. And boy, do they love getting brushed. One smells like poo. Long nite ahead, they are both raring to go rumble some more.

7. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    Germany awaits. 19 days. And then Austria and the Czech Republic in June.

That's pretty much what's keeping me afloat at the moment.

Sgt Crowfield and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  8. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    So what's the background story here? I love those big tortoises.

9. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Taking a wild guess that the tortoise is older than at least three of us combined.

Species smart enough to outlive humans FTW.

10. Ahsoka_Tano_11

Ahsoka_Tano_11 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 30, 2013
    Really!? In my class, we usually move around all the time! Everyone sits on a different table each day. I guess everyone is different.

11. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    eht13

I'm interning at a zoo in Idaho. The tortoises are Aldabra Tortoises. There are two. One is extremely friendly and likes to have his neck scratched. The other just hides in his shell and I didn't bother to take a picture of him. They were both caught in the wild 60 years ago and at the time they were fully grown, so there is no way of knowing exactly how old they are. I asked a keeper and they said their best guess is 100-150 years old. Though I was told that it is unknown how old they can get since most of those that have ever been in captivity are still alive.

There are also Spurred Tortoises that I do not have pictures of. One just runs circles in his enclosure as I'm trying to clean it, crawling over the trash bag and knocking down my broom, rake and shovel when I lean them against the wall. I'm convinced he's being a jerk or playing. Since he seems to go out of his way to make my job harder.

12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    That's really interesting. The Riverbanks Zoo in Columbia, SC has some Galapagos Tortoises who are estimated at 150 years old; I wouldn't have thought that they could probably live much longer than that and we wouldn't have any idea.

13. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    According to wikipedia, one had its shell carbon dated after it had died and it was estimated to be 255 years old.

Most animals in zoos today are not wild caught unless they are injured animals that were rescued, or endangered animals taken from the wild as part of a population management program. I think a lot of these tortoises were taken from the wild back when it was a fairly common practice. Like for instance 60 years ago in the case of the Aldabras, when zoos were more focused on entertainment and less on animal well-being and conservation. So it would be hard to know how old they were when they were caught.

14. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    That is really cool! That's a great experience. I've always like turtles and tortoises, and the sheer size and lifespan of these big ones is just amazing. I think you may have said before, but are you a zoology major or something like that?

15. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    Yeah, I am a zoology major. Already did an internship in Michigan working with amphibians which was fun and allowed more hands on interaction with the animals themselves since most of them are harmless, though the Japanese Giant Salamanders could apparently do some damage if they bite you.

This zoo is a much smaller zoo so by the end of the internship the plan is to have some exposure with every "area" (the zoo is divided into 4). Right now I'm working in two areas: primates and hoofstock/mammalian carnivores (lumped together as a single area) mostly. The tortoises are lumped in with the primates as there aren't enough reptiles to warrant their own department.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  16. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    TaradosGon : Very cool. I always like animals growing up, and I had two phases of especially strong interest: birds of prey and reptiles/amphibians. My impression is that the zoo here in Atlanta is a good one... one of the only ones to have successfully bred pandas, etc. There are a couple of areas with large tortoises, plus a standalone reptile and amphibian building.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  17. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    It must be a good, financially stable zoo to have pandas. Funny that you should mention them as I had asked about pandas the other day and why for being such charismatic animals - up there with lions, tigers, elephants, etc. - American zoos almost never have them. Every keeper I had asked as well as the curator told me that it is politically motivated on China's end. One keeper told me that China charges 1,000,000 dollars per year per panda, and that in addition to the cost of bamboo to feed a panda pretty much makes them prohibitively expensive. If Atlanta can handle all that, it must be very successful.

18. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Yes, and I have heard all of that as well regarding what is essentially China's control over the world's zoo pandas.

19. iPodwithnomusic

iPodwithnomusic Jedi Master star 3

Nov 23, 2012
    Today my little cousin came over and saw me watching TCW. He said he didn't like Star Wars, so I asked him if he'd ever watched it and he said no.

I showed him the Darth Maul vs Qui Gon and Obi Wan fight on Youtube, and he said, "Darth Maul died in the first episode? Then how is he so popular, does he come back to life or something?"
    All I could say was "it's a long story."

20. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Heh -- appropriate response. You'd probably traumatize him from having anything to do with Star Wars otherwise.

iPodwithnomusic likes this.
  21. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I just saw Olympus Has Fallen, man that was a great film! Had me on the edge of my seat the whole time, and Gerard Butler's character was so awesome, especially because of his quotes, they were so funny. The use of humour worked way better than Iron Man 3, but I reckon both of the films were just as good as each other.

22. Darth Ibonek

Darth Ibonek Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 11, 2013
    I just can't imagine a president as young as Aaron Eckhart though.

23. Sgt Crowfield

Sgt Crowfield Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 27, 1999
    Well, puppy just crapped under my seat while I was playing SWTOR ^^. He just didn't make it to the door in time.

24. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
  25. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Did you pause the game in order to clean it up or were your priorities in order...? :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.