main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Denver Comic Con 2017 - RMFF panel(s)

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by DieWompRatDie, Apr 16, 2013.

1. DieWompRatDie

DieWompRatDie Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2008
    At the March meeting BFett88 told us that the Denver Comic Con was looking to expand their Star Wars panel content and asked the RMFF for help in putting together some panels. We offered four suggested panel topics. Here are those topics and a sentence description to go with each.

• Star Wars Game Show - Come on down and see if the force is with you! Test your knowledge of the galaxy far, far away and play Star Wars trivia at this Jeopardy-style game show panel. Prizes for winners! Hosted by the Rocky Mountain Fan Force.
    • News from a galaxy far, far away - Learn the latest Star Wars news as we sort truth from rumor about the upcoming movies, Expanded Universe and Star Wars in television. Heard something about Episode 7 or the spin off, character-based movies or about a live-action TV show? The Rocky Mountain Fan Force will set the record straight on everything Disney/Lucasfilm/Star Wars!
    • Star Wars fan groups in Colorado - You probably know the 501st and the Rebel Legion. But what about the Rocky Mountain Fan Force or Droid Builders or the Mandalorian Mercenaries or the other Star Wars costuming groups? Learn about the different fan groups and how they're similar and different. Perhaps one will interest you and you can start building a costume and/or participating in charity work soon!
    • Blasters, lightsabers and gaffi sticks (Building Star Wars props) - "That looks so cool!" is what Rocky Mountain Fan Force member Jeff Rodriguez darth_hair frequently hears when people see his X-Wing helmets, blasters and other fan-made Star Wars props. Attend this panel and learn how he makes all those cool props and how he may be able to make one for you!
    The programming director loved all four and is willing to include them all in their schedule. However, I don't think we'd have the manpower to be able to do all four panels.
    After talking with catz44, we think the Game Show and News ones would be great ones to do. The Props panel would also be awesome, but that would pretty much be all Jeff, so if you are want to do it, darth_hair, let me know and we'll fill out the proper paperwork.
    I'll bring this up at the April meeting at Starfest and see what the interest is. I'm totally willing to do the game show as the host, but having a Vanna White-type helper would be great. I'm also willing to do the News panel, but having one or two other people on it would be appreciated.
    Any volunteers? I don't know when they would happen during the con, but will pass along that information as soon as I have it.

2. darth_hair

darth_hair Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2001
    Heck yeah I'll do a prop panel. Give me some time to come up with a title and overview for the panel.

3. QueenHighMistress

QueenHighMistress Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    I would be happy to proofread and edit any materials for any of these panels, provided I get them well enough ahead of time (say, around two weeks before DCC), since I have family coming in for the con.

Smartphones are neato.

4. JawaJaka

JawaJaka Jedi Knight star 2

May 24, 2011
    It depends on the schedule, I'm not missing Stan Lee if he comes. AL could probably do a Vanna White. :D
    Personally I don't know how much we can say in the "news" panel as everything is pretty much a rumor. Disney has only said they are interested in doing E7 and nothing else has been officially mentioned. I wouldn't spread any more rumors unless we get permission from Disney (good luck on that). The game show is a great idea, the news one not so much.

If you do the fan club panel I'll be more than happy to briefly inform the attendees about the R2 Builder's Club and the Mountain States R2 Builder's Club. You could get a representative from each club to speak briefly about their club. It would be a SW Fan Clubs panel sponsored by the RMFF.

5. catz44

catz44 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    I happy to help where needed....although I don't think I could do a Vanna White ;). Just don't have the goods for that ;)

6. DieWompRatDie

Dec 2, 2008
    In case anyone missed it, we're going to do the Game Show panel and the Props panel. I'll host the Game Show with Erica May and Elizabeth Sanchez. Jeff will host the Props panel with Geoff May as his Vannah White.

7. QueenHighMistress

May 8, 2005
    These sound great! Again, I am more than happy to proof and edit materials so we don't look like we failed Basic.

8. Taeriel

Taeriel Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 9, 2003
    I highly recommend QHM for her proof-reading skills. She did an excellent job doing so on our SPN presentation!

9. QueenHighMistress

May 8, 2005
    Aw, thanks, T! :D

10. FanForced

FanForced Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2007
    I think JT should wear an outrageous plaid suit or powder blue suit as the game show host!

11. catz44

Jul 25, 2004
    Agreed. I will keep an eye out for one. What size does he wear?

12. DieWompRatDie

Dec 2, 2008
    Between a medium and large. Thanks...I think!

For the format, I was thinking of doing two styles of question rounds. The first would be group pub trivia style, where people are divided into teams of 3 or 4 and they get a couple rounds of several questions that are true-false or fill in the blank. The team(s) with the highest points would win prizes.
    The second round would be more game show style with several contestants at the front with dry erase boards and I would ask them different levels of difficulty questions. A couple rounds of questions and then perhaps 2 or 3 rounds of contestants. Prizes for the winner of each round?

Thoughts?

13. thebreadnappa

thebreadnappa RMFF Co-CR/Member-At-Large

Sep 14, 2012
    Ahem... Force Lightning Round?

DieWompRatDie likes this.
  14. SITH__CHICK

SITH__CHICK Former RMFF CR star 7

Mar 25, 2002
    Do we have dates and times for these panels? Location would be nice too, would like to sign up for SWE shifts.

15. DieWompRatDie

Dec 2, 2008
    Can I pull a Zoo and say that I know, but can't tell you? ;)

All I'll tell you is that Jeff and my panels will be back-to-back in the same room Saturday afternoon. Hopefully they will release the full panel programming list soon.

catz44 likes this.
  16. DieWompRatDie

Dec 2, 2008
    DCC has updated their Guidebook app to include panel schedule information, however there aren't details about the panels yet. The SW Game Show panel will be Saturday at 4 PM in room 504. darth_hair will have his panel at 3 PM in the same room right before mine. Unfortunately, his isn't listed in the app...yet. Hopefully they will be constantly updating it and include Jeff's props panel and descriptions for all panels.

ladyblues are you still willing to help out during my panel? I'll actually need several people to help out with it, if possible. I'll need behind-the-scenes scorers to help with grading from the pub quiz portion.

17. SITH__CHICK

SITH__CHICK Former RMFF CR star 7

Mar 25, 2002
    Crap! I guess I will leave at 4 (after Jeff's panel) to get my mom to make it back in time for MAW auction. Then we need to fly out of there and go to the Pepsi Center to see Fleetwood Mac. Going to be a busy day.

18. thebreadnappa

thebreadnappa RMFF Co-CR/Member-At-Large

Sep 14, 2012
    ladyblues will be there to help, and if we're lucky she might even post that herself one day...

FanForced likes this.
  19. QueenHighMistress

May 8, 2005
    Might want to check the schedule again. Now both RMFF panels are listed at 4:00 p.m. :rolleyes:

20. catz44

Jul 25, 2004
    At least they are two different rooms....

21. JawaJaka

JawaJaka Jedi Knight star 2

May 24, 2011
    Where are you guys getting the schedules??? All I see on the website is a mobile app download, and I don't have a smart phone (I refuse to pay ungodly monthly fees for one of those). I have a prepaid tracphone that is a PHONE!! And not much else. So, if someone has the schedule can you please pm me a link or email me an attachment of it? I think it's just silly the DCC staff can't put up a .pdf of the schedule for guests to download and print themselves ahead of time (Starfest did the same thing and I complained bitterly to them about it).

22. DieWompRatDie

Dec 2, 2008
    Yep, so far it's just an app for smartphones. I'm sure they'll post it on their web site when it's not being updated every 6 hours or so... ;)

Our panels are the Game show panel at 4 PM Saturday in room 504 and Jeff's props panel at 4 PM Saturday in room 105. I can use all the help I can get to score some pub trivia-style game sheets, so if you can help out doing that, I'd very much appreciate it. Please contact me or post here if you can help out during the panel. Thanks!

23. FanForced

FanForced Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2007
    Erica and I are making the "cantina" style answer sheets today. This is gonna ROCK!

24. DieWompRatDie

Dec 2, 2008
    For those interested and to amuse, ladyblues and FanForced and I worked this weekend to put together team names for those coming into the panel. We plan to assign groups of 3 to a team as people walk into the panel and they will get an answer sheet for the first section of the trivia panel. This will be a "cantina-style" trivia where I'll ask some questions and the teams will confer and write their answer on their sheets. After 10 questions, we'll gather the sheets and grade them, which will be a maximum of 60 sheets we estimate, which is why we'll appreciate any graders/volunteers we can get as we'll need to grade them in about 15 minutes.

Here are the pre-selected team names!
    1.Mad Mustafarians
    2.Our Only Hope
    3.Scruffy-Looking Nerfherders
    4.Never tell us the odds!
    5.Sith Trivia Lords
    6.The Walking Dead Jedi Masters
    7.Rebel Trivia Scum
    8.The Art of Clone War
    9.Your Mind Tricks Don't Work on Us
    10.Outer Rim Renegades
    11.Rancor Riders
    12.Greedo Shot First
    13.Imperial Blockade Runners
    14.The Force to be reckoned with
    15.Rodian Scholars
    16.Tie Bomber Squadron
    17.We Successfully Navigated an Asteroid Field
    18.Endor Athletic Club
    19.Jedi Academy Fellows
    20.Thermally Exhausted Vent Engineers
    21.Jundland Wastelanders
    22.Cantina Band groupies
    23.Tie Fighter pilots’ Union
    24.Clones For Individuality
    25.Dark Side Cookie Bakers
    26.Skywalker Family Reunion
    27.The Incestuous Kiss
    28.No hyperspace?
    29.The Sarlacc Mosh Pit
    30.Leia’s buns
    31.Vader’s Minions
    32.Alderaan Historical Society
    33.Lando’s Mustache
    34.My Little Tauntaun
    35.Battle of Yavin reenactors
    36.Hiding Our Numbers
    37.Slave Jabba
    38.Youngling Security Patrol
    39.The Anakin Grillers
    40.Short Stormtroopers
    41.Lando the System
    42.Yoda’s Midichlorians
    43.I Dream of Jango
    44.Palpatine is my Patronus
    45.Naboo is my Happy Place
    46.The Wamp Rats
    47.Dagobah Cave Dwellers
    48.Galactic Civil War Vets
    49.The T-16s
    50.Sand Crawler Drag Racers
    51.I'd like 4-LOMein and 1 Taun Taun Soup
    52.Naboo Deep Sea Diving Club
    53.Jawa Scrap Union
    54.Felucian Botanist Club
    55.Cloud City Meteorologists
    56.Chrome Detailing Enthusiasts of Naboo
    57.The Wookie Groomers
    58.Jedi Trials Study Group
    59.Dark Side Taxidermy
    60.Galactic Senator Decoys

FanForced and catz44 like this.
  25. DieWompRatDie

Dec 2, 2008
    So I may be crazy, but since it was so much fun doing this panel at Denver Comic Con, I'm considering doing one at Celebration - Anaheim. They posted guidelines and a timeline for submitting fan-created panels/entertainment (http://www.starwarscelebration.com/Anaheim/Fan-Programming/) and that's what I thought of.

Would the people who helped my out or anybody else from the RMFF be, tentatively, willing to help make such a panel happen? The crowd would be larger, I'd assume, so we'd have to rejigger the logistics, but I think this would definitely be a blast. Perhaps we can test run a larger version at DCC 2014 and see what we think?

FanForced and nnaydolem like this.