main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Luke Skywalker as the Master Jedi

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Jedirush2112, May 6, 2013.

?

How strong do you feel Luke be as a Jedi Master after 30 years of studying the force?

Poll closed May 20, 2013.
  1. As Wise and Experienced as Yoda

14.5%
  2. As Strong as Mace Windu

5.3%
  3. As Experienced as Obi-Wan

15.8%
  4. The Same as he was at the end of ROTJ

1.3%
  5. He should be completely different then all the above. Since he has been alone with the Force.

63.2%
  1. Evil--Yoda

Evil--Yoda Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 11, 2012
    That would have made sense except that watching old men standing there with constipated faces for 5 minutes while blue light flows from their hands isn't as exciting as a an epic lightsaber fight.

2. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    ^Indeed.

From another thread:
    QFT.

Jedi Merkurian and Evil--Yoda like this.
  3. SweetZombieJesus

SweetZombieJesus Jedi Padawan star 2

Apr 12, 2013
    Or as ludicrous as watching a 2 foot frog with a baby light saber fight two 6 foot tall humans by bouncing around like a pinball and making Palpatine try to use his light saber as a golf club aiming for a 6 inch contact window.

4. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Roger Ebert made a big stink about Yoda using a lightsaber in one of his TV reviews. I would not have thought he used one either until the PT.

5. Jedirush2112

Jedirush2112 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2013
    He might not remember how to fly it, with his Alzheimer an all!

[face_whistling]

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  6. DARTH-FURBABY

DARTH-FURBABY Jedi Master star 2

Apr 9, 2004
    Hey! Watch your mouth kid, or you'll be floating home!! ;)

7. Jedirush2112

Jedirush2112 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2013
    I said Luke not Han!
    [face_peace]

8. Sith-Mullet

Sith-Mullet Jedi Master star 3

Aug 2, 2003
    Luke will be more Qui-Gon than Obi-Wan.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  9. Corvax855

Corvax855 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 23, 2011
    Growing up watching the OT, I always just assumed Yoda was a pure teacher, and that he had never been an active duty Jedi so to speak. His strengths as a Jedi seemed to be passing on wisdom rather than fighting.

When it comes to Luke in the ST, I see him being more like Elrond in LotR.

Sarge and Master Blaster like this.
  10. Lord TW

Lord TW Jedi Master star 2

Dec 25, 2012
    let's keep each other's "issues" off the playing field.-mod edit

11. Evil--Yoda

Evil--Yoda Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 11, 2012
    Wut. I was quoted in this post apparently. Now I''ll never know. :_|

12. Lord TW

Lord TW Jedi Master star 2

Dec 25, 2012
    Sorry, I had posted that before I read the whole thread and saw how it escalated. Was more of an observation than a criticism, anyway.

evil Yoda: your interpretations resonate positively with me.

13. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    And that makes it any better? My patience is about to run out. :mad:

14. Swegart

Swegart Jedi Youngling

Jul 8, 2013
    Luke is more laid back. He'll be like Obi

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

15. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    As of the end of RotJ, he already was. Heck, I make the argument that he was at this point at the end of ESB.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  16. I_Love_Scotch

I_Love_Scotch Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 2, 2013
    Luke will be the most powerful Jedi ever in these new movies. I'm just anxious to see Mark Hamill in shape. Trainers be making him lay off the burgers and smokes.

17. DarthPoppy

DarthPoppy Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    If he gets his power converters, he will convert power, unlimited power! And he will be unstoppable.

18. Dr. Chaos

Dr. Chaos Jedi Padawan star 1

May 19, 2013
    I like Hamill's idea that he wants to be more about the force powers now. Thats definitely the thing Jedi masters are way ahead of the curve on.

Their physical bodies may slow down but the force stays as strong as ever.

That said, I'm totally prepared to geek out when he whips out the green lightsaber.

Revanfan1 and Sarge like this.
  19. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Yeah, I'll probably giggle like a schoolboy when that happens.

20. Ganger

Ganger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 1999
    We had 3 movies of two-dimensional characters moving the plot along instead of developing their characters. Mace Windu was a boring monk, Obi Wan was a mediocre detective, Yoda stated the obvious, Anakin whined like a little brat, the others were just dudes who stood in scene as background props and got in on choreographed action with their purple lightsabers.

Those were the jedi, the guardians of peace and justice in the galaxy we were told about.

With Episode VII there is a chance for a new jedi order, one where jedis can have personalities, can love, can have families. It would be really fitting that Luke was the leader of this change. And it would be great that another group of people brought more humanity to the characters. It seems like a natural way to go.

I couldn't care less for Anakin or Padmé and I LOVE Star Wars. In Toy Story 3 when the toys prepare to die, I almost cried and I though I didn't care for a movie about talking toys. Michael Arndt you are ok in my book and I trust you will make the necessary changes to bring back the humanity that once was so important to this franchise. Luke as the leader of the new jedi order seems like a fitting platform for this.

21. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Ganger

Great points to support the idea that the New Jedi Order should allow for the establishment of families with Luke in charge. It was clear to me that the PT-era Jedi Order was depicted as flawed in many respects, including its insistence on the no-attachments rule as a be-all-end-all for all Jedi. That lack of flexibility was one of many issues that ultimately led to its downfall.

I'd like to think that Luke would have realized these mistakes of the past and forged his Jedi Order to be more flexible on the idea of attachments by allowing for relationships, an idea that's currently being discussed with gusto in the "What is your greatest fear about Episode VII?" thread. If the EU is anything to go by, I think Luke's Order will permit families, and it would a very nice nod to the EU if they at least keep this idea intact. It's a natural evolution for the new Order.

Furthermore, excellent point about Arndt; he really did a great job of writing the characters in Toy Story 3, and if that's anything to go by, there is a good chance we will see characters on the screen that we can better relate to than, say, the PT Jedi.

22. HighlanderC

HighlanderC Jedi Master star 1

May 26, 2005
    I want a luke that is very independent from the lightsaber just like yoda was in ESB. I want him to use it quickly decisively if he has to. Otherwise.. the force is just enough to do whatever it needs to be done.

Sean Sinclair likes this.
  23. HighlanderC

HighlanderC Jedi Master star 1

May 26, 2005
    Anakin was a necessity to Palpatine to keep the empire going after his death. He didn't care if he died or not... He cared that he turned Anakin, the most powerful being into his plan and he was the ultimate being to continue it after his death. He didn't care if he died or not, he wanted a successor. That is why he wanted to turn Luke. Luke was capable of continuing his plot like Suited Darth Vader couldn't.

That is one of the great things about Palpatine, he didn't actually care for himself, just his plot... There was something greater than him.

24. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I've always interpreted Palpatine's "feel your anger" speeches to mean "You think you can kill me? I dare you to try."

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  25. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    Lol Palpatine never struck me as guy willing to sacrifice himself for a grand plan. Maybe before total victory was achieved but after he got control of the galaxy, no way in hell.