main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Classic Trilogy Rare and Behind the Scenes pics and footage

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by LordGarthNader, Feb 28, 2013.

1. LordGarthNader

LordGarthNader Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    Darth_Nub edit January 16, 2014: I've merged a number of threads with pictures and links of rare photos and footage from the Classic Trilogy - this is now the official thread for posting such imagery. If you're posting a link, be generous and post a couple of pics as well.

Big thanks to all who've contributed.

Not sure if this has been mentioned here already but I found this yesterday on my Twitter feed.

http://screencrush.com/star-wars-making-of-empire-strikes-back/

2. LordGarthNader

LordGarthNader Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 1, 2012
  3. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    Thanks for that!

I remember a very similar one for RotJ which I've not seen in 25 years or so, I remember it had a lot of puppet stuff from Jabba's palace (and IIRC ended with Salacious Crumb talking to camera), anyone know where I could find that? (A pretty obscure request, I know.)

Rainbow Knight Star likes this.
  4. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    That's From Star Wars to Jedi: The making of a Saga. I have it on VHS (a lucky thrift store find). It's never been released on DVD or as part of the DVD box sets. It's up on Youtube though if you'd like a trip down memory lane :D.

EDIT You may also be thinking of Return of the Jedi: Classic creatures, which apparently uses a lot of the same behind the scenes stuff as FSWTJ. The former is narrated by Mark Hamill, the later hosted by Carrie Fisher and Billy Dee Williams, and it was included in the recent Blu-Ray box set.

Someone posted the link to that TESB doc over on IMDB, but I haven't gotten a chance to check it out yet. What's the story behind it?

5. immertreu

immertreu Jedi Master star 2

Feb 4, 2012
    Thanks for all the info! I never knew these documentaries existed.

6. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    You're welcome :D. They're definitely worth checking out, and they're all up on Youtube.

I'm watching the ESB doc that LordGarthNader linked to now. It's fantastic!

7. Leias_Left_Bun

Leias_Left_Bun Jedi Master star 4

Feb 18, 2013
    Wonderful documentary. Thank you so much for posting the link.

Kao Cen Darach likes this.
  8. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
  9. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
  10. OldSchoolFan

OldSchoolFan Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 6, 2013
    Already got this baby on pre-order

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  11. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    You thought right. I can't believe it's nearly here, seems like not that long ago I was counting the days until the Making of ESB.

This pic actually debunks a myth that has been floating around for a while:

[​IMG]

I've heard it said that GL directed the Throne Room scenes, but that's Richard Marquand at the right, & GL is nowhere to be seen. Guessing it was shot in England anyway.

As for this, well, there's nothing wrong with one more pic of Leia in THAT outfit:

[​IMG]

12. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I think Hamill really, really liked his job that particular day.

13. StarWarsVerses

StarWarsVerses Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 14, 2013
    What I heard (from McDiarmid and in person, if that testimony counts for anything) is that Lucas took over for the effects-heavy shots like the Emperor's death scene while Marquand handled the brunt of the dialogue. So it's not all-or-nothing.

And yeah, that Fisher pic is the tops.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  14. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009
    Didn't know that - and that's why I'm really looking forward to this book. ROTJ is the OT film about which I know the least regarding its production. Even the two vintage docos only really cover the Tatooine parts.

TOSCHESTATION, Vthuil and DarthBoba like this.
  15. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    I'm just trying to ignore the giant camera in the middle of my favourite scene from all six films :p

Really looking forward to this...it'll be about the only book I can justify paying more than twenty dollars on this year.

TOSCHESTATION likes this.
  16. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jedi_Ford_Prefect Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2003
    There's also photos of Lucas on the Throne Room set out there. And even in that picture we have here not everyone is visible. I don't doubt the situation is more complicated than we've assumed, but as with ESB, there's a lot of pre-viz to go by, too.

The only scene I've ever heard Lucas claim direct responsibility for was Vader's unmasking, on the commentary. It'll be interesting to see how that pans out.

17. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009
  18. Darth Cornish

Darth Cornish Jedi Grand Master star 1

Nov 7, 2000
    Hi,
    Here are some images of a SW photo collection i have. It was given to me back in 1983 by Phillip MacDonald, who worked on the OT. He told me only 30 were made and given out as a 'thank you' to certain members of the production. It's definitely the jewel of my SW collection.

Can anyone out there shed any further light on this book?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009
    Andy Wylde and CaptainHamYoyo like this.
  20. Jedi General Gelderd

Jedi General Gelderd Jedi Master star 5

Mar 6, 2004
    That looks simply wonderfully vintage! Great item.

21. Darth Cornish

Nov 7, 2000
    Not sure. I haven't seen his name on the end credits.
    He was a really friendly chap when i met him though. Back in 1983 i was 10 and he was the neighbour of 'family friends' we were visiting near Elstree Studios. I was chatting to him over the back fence and got talking about Jedi - which obviously was released that year. He told me loads of stories about SW, Superman, Raiders, but unfortunately i cant remember them now. Anyway he called round a little later and gave me the book, saying i was so into SW he wanted me to have it. A very generous gesture!

22. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009
    Ah, OK. I'm guessing this is/was him:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0567949/?ref_=fn_al_nm_5

Regarding the book, I wouldn't sell it if you were considering doing so - that strikes me as the sort of item that might go for fifty bucks or a thousand, depending on who might want to buy it at a certain time. Far better to just own such a unique piece of Star Wars history, autographed by George Lucas (!!!) and Gary Kurtz (!!!), before SW became the phenomenon it is now. The old-school production sticker (The Star Wars) just adds to the appeal. Pretty awesome.

23. Darth Cornish

Nov 7, 2000
    Well, there have been times i have thought about selling it (mortgage and kids etc...), but i have had it 30 years, so i intend to keep it another 30! I'll post some more images when i have time.

24. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    Great piece of history right there.

Not only is it rare, but each one has its own story to it, being dedicated to someone who helped bring Star Wars to life.

Andy Wylde and Darth_Nub like this.
  25. jedizapped

jedizapped Jedi Master

Sep 15, 2003
    Very nice item. Any vintage production material is rare and very likely worth a pretty penny. The Vader/Obi-Wan pic is great, only seen the still with added Light Saber glow added.

whostheBossk likes this.