main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit is Chewbacca gonna be revived in the EU over the next two years?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by IG_2000, May 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    There are--the ones that I've known personally are in their 50s and 60s and were adults when "Star Wars" premiered; Luke and Leia being siblings was as big a surprise as the "I am your father" revelation. (I'm 41 so from my end of it, I had a pre-teen Han crush and was happy with the way things turned out.)

2. Riven_JTAC

Riven_JTAC Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2011
    Let's face it, the average EU fan is NOT going to pass on the movie if it upsets the EU. And the average EU fan is hardly the average Star Wars "fan." People like my parents have never touched an EU work, but would go in a heartbeat to see a new movie. The EU fans are, in all likelihood, a fair minority of the total market for the film.

What we've been discussing here on a daily basis for months now is the WISH that the EU will be respected by the filmmakers. Rationally, there is a very low chance that Disney, Abrams, and the writers will let the EU get in the way a good movie storyline. If the EU is followed, I am sure it will not be at the cost of a better "story" that reasonably could've been made by avoiding the EU.

We all want to see our favorite parts of the EU respected, but we shouldn't kid ourselves that it will form the basis for the movies, let alone retell an EU story (like all those clamoring for a trilogy based on the Thrawn trilogy hope for).

3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    No way Disney is gonna miss out on the opportunity to sell Chewbacca toys. Not gonna happen. Also seeing Han in the movie without Chewbacca would be weird.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  4. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Here are my thoughts on the Chewbacca in Episode VII debate.

I think one of the most important precepts a good film should adhere to is "show, don't tell." The PT drew a lot of criticism in part because it didn't always do a good job of 'showing' as opposed to 'telling'. If the film stays true to the events of Vector Prime and Chewbacca doesn't appear, I imagine that they have to at least acknowledge why he isn't around. After all, the multitudes of OT fans unfamiliar with the EU would be left wondering why the iconic Wookiee sidekick of Han Solo doesn't show up alongside the Big Three. Remember the famous "Let the Wookiee win" catchphrase. It's not going to be easy to satisfy these fans if it is simply mentioned in passing that Chewie had died years before, given how popular the character is. If they choose to elaborate on the circumstances of his death, I fear there would have to be a lengthy exposition drop that goes against the tenet of "show, don't tell." Trying to emphasize the heroic nature of Chewie's death will probably force the characters into mentioning the Vong War (as awesome as acknowledging it would be), but retelling, if only briefly, that major galactic event could waste valuable screentime. And I kind of doubt that the Yuuzhan Vong will be mentioned at all in a film set some 40 years after RotJ.

As it is, the writers are kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place; don't include Chewbacca so as to stay faithful to the EU, but risk alienating a lot of OT fans, or retcon the Wookiee's death and risk turning off EU fans. I personally think, as Riven_JTAC mentioned, the choice is obvious. They will go where the money is, and since EU fans comprise a rather small, if vocal, minority of SW fans while OT fans comprise the vast majority, they won't hesitate to include this iconic character, if only as a cameo, should they deem it would attract more moviegoers (and if Mayhew is up to the task). I think most EU fans would still go to the theaters to watch Episode VII regardless of whether or not Chewie appears. One retcon shouldn't color one's opinion of an entire movie (though there will probably be a lot more post-RotJ EU retcons incoming). And let's be honest, it's probably not going to make or break the movie, as I doubt Chewie would play a major role even if he shows up. Just my $0.02.

5. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    Well anything after the OT is going to get rebooted in the EU anyway so yeah I am not seeing much of a problem.

6. Jinn-N-Tonic

Jinn-N-Tonic Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 17, 2006
    JJ Abrams and his cronies gave their middle finger salute to every longtime Trekker by eliminating/destroying 40 years of televised canon with his crappy altered timeline/reboot movie and sat back and laughed at the controversy.

I highly doubt the no-talent hack Abrams will be concerned about contradicting any EU canon for Star Wars.

7. werpudel

werpudel Jedi Master star 2

Dec 4, 2008
    well, I'm one of those who wish that the EU will be incorporated into the new SQ-trilogy. I've simply spent too much money, time and emotions getting all the books and comic-tpb (and started collecting SW-lego 1.5 years ago, trying also to gobble up as many set-releases as possible from before that time.

HOWEVER - I think that bringing back Chewie would be one of the things I could live with, if TPTB decide so. there was a thread - I think it was in the EP VII forums - where all the possibilities were discussed, and there are some that wouldn't be too farfetched for GFFA (like immediate rescue by some enemies of Han and Chewie, with Chewie held hostage for 20+ years and so on).

just a few words, why I think that the EU should NOT be left out: anybody who thinks that the status quo of the GFFA at the start of EP VII is the same as immediately after EP VI must be out of their minds. of course there was is some story in between EP VI and VII. so why "invent" it all new, when you have it all there on a silver platter? no matter what you do, you'll either ALWAYS have to explain what happened in between or you don't. the existence of the EU DOES NOT hamper the author's ability/possibilities to create an original story.

8. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Yes, a cutoff is indeed an option.

But I wonder what they will do with the spinoffs then. They won't follow established canon either and some are bound to be set before the OT, like the Boba movie we'll most likely get.

9. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    What? Abrams kept the old timeline fairly intact due to timetravel shenanigans. It was really the best people could hope for in a reboot.

10. Jinn-N-Tonic

Jul 17, 2006
    What are you talking about keeping the old timeline intact? When Nero went back in time and destroyed th USS Kelvin and planet Vulcan, it altered the original timeline/canon. Everything from the original series to The Next Generation and beyond will no longer happen. Not to mention that all the original characters are unlikeable jerks in the new altered timeline.

How can you say that's the best thing for long time fans could hope for?

Now if JJ Abram's crappy Star Drek reboot was a straight up remake, it would have been less offensive for longtime fans because remakes has no effect on it's original source canon. Long time fans could simply acknowledge it as pure crap like all of Abrams work.

11. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Because Nero comes from the unaltered timeline. When he traveled back to the day of Kirks birth, an alternate timeline sprang into life, that of the new movies. No matter how you turn it, the original still has to exist somewhere because otherwise Nero couldn't timetravel back.

I even found a graph.

[​IMG]

So, as fan you can either stick to the original timeline in which Romulus is destroyed in the far future or you stick to the new timeline that includes all the new stuff.

It is pretty good for fans because aside from Romulus destruction and Spocks later disappearance when he is old everything is as it always was.

Jedi Ben and Zorrixor like this.
  12. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
  13. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Exactly. I'm no Trekkie and have only watched the film once, but somewhere the original happened or else there wouldn't be a lunatic with a vendetta out to destroy everyone for what happened.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  14. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Doesn't changing the past in Star Trek usually overwrite the preexisting timeline instead of creating a new one? I thought that's why they always have to be so careful when they're mucking about in the past; if altering the past just created a new timeline instead of erasing the future they came from, it wouldn't be such a big deal.

15. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I thought parallel universes were a tradition of Trek? I remember an episode of TOS were they meet evil counterparts of themselves.

16. Jinn-N-Tonic

Jul 17, 2006
    That is pure BS and you obviously know nothing about Star Trek. Just because Spock and Nero still retained their experience with the original timeline/canon doesn't mean the original timeline/canon still exists after Nero went back in time and altered everything.

The original series canon is meaningless now because of Abram's crappy reboot.... and yes I'm very afraid that he's going to some how find a way to ruin Star Wars.

17. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    :rolleyes:
    Fine, be like that.

Gamiel and MasterSkywalker86 like this.
  18. _Catherine_

Jun 16, 2007
    Yeah but I think those were usually just their own thing unrelated to time travel. Idk, I just remember in the Borg movie they had to go back in time because the Borg had already gone back in time and changed the future by taking over Earth in the past.

Basically Star Trek is dumb and we should all be glad that J.J. Abrams ruined it forever. :p

19. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Imo it's important to chill. If Abrams does a similar thing with Star Wars I'll just take how it was intended and run with it.

Gamiel and MasterSkywalker86 like this.
  20. Jinn-N-Tonic

Jul 17, 2006
    Be like what? You tell me that original canon is still intact when the Abrams crappy reboot proves otherwise.

Then you admit that I'm right.

21. Jinn-N-Tonic

Jul 17, 2006
    I like Star Trek as much as I like Star Wars. If I wasn't such a Star Wars fan, I'd wish that Abrams would crap all over and ruin SW as he did to ST so I could throw that back in your face.

Atleast I'll get half my wish because Abrams will crap all over and ruin the EU canon so I'll be throwing that back face in 2015.

22. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    What? I've admitted no such thing.

My explanation is fairly paradox free which can't be said of a self-correcting timeline.

23. _Catherine_

Jun 16, 2007
    Don't get me wrong, Star Wars is dumb too. I hate all the things I like.

Like Doctor Who has really gone downhill since J.J. Abrams took over. It's unbearable.

24. Shira_French_Cheese

Shira_French_Cheese Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 20, 2010
    You should take a look at the Legend of Zelda timeline. [face_mischief]

Zorrixor likes this.
  25. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    I know, right? And don't get me started on what J.J. Abrams did to Mass Effect 3's ending.

You do realise you could have just started the next "He's Duros" meme? :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.