main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Micro-series vs. TCW

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Saga_Symphony, Nov 14, 2012.

?

Which Clone Wars show do you like better?

1. Clone Wars (2003)

115 vote(s)
    35.2%
  2. The Clone Wars (2008)

212 vote(s)
    64.8%
  1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
  2. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    That's my line.

3. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Stolen. ;)

4. SeinEwigerSchatten

SeinEwigerSchatten Jedi Padawan star 1

May 10, 2013
    There will be no complaining. That would make someone look dumb. I think even if Abrams slaughters Canon, noone will complain because Disney and Abrams are not Lucas. They dont give a damn about complaints. You cant hit them with complaints, like you can hit GL. Lucas is not as tough as Hollywood Giants like Disney or Abrams. Abrams has a ultrathick skin. Disney and Bad Robot will only look at the boxoffice and that will always be good. Even if they would show Howard the Duck fighting Darth Vader. Star Wars brand is a goldmine.

5. darkchrono

darkchrono Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005
    I doubt Lucas cares much more than Disney does. Lucas has his story that he wants to tell and if the books don't fall in line with what he wants to tell than he is going to overwrite the books. The fans of the books should be happy enough that certain character names, species, and planets were adopted from the books.

6. SeinEwigerSchatten

SeinEwigerSchatten Jedi Padawan star 1

May 10, 2013
    Lucas said in an interview that he is tired about the complaints. I think he always thought that the poeple love his work, but when you get negative feedback of that MAGNITUDE (<Do you see what i did here?) than of coursey you will be down. And lucas was down the last years. Now he says he is happy again, after selling and now his planned wedding with Madame Melody Hobson.

7. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    .......Is your icon a blue anus?

8. darkchrono

May 23, 2005
    That wouldn't have anything to do with overwriting 'c' canon though. Not enough people really read those books to make it worthwhile to go by their stories anyway.

9. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Is there some reason you are really, really vested in making sure that all C-canon is overwritten? Because you talk about it a lot.

I hope that Thrawn, Mara Jade and Prince Isolder are all retconned out of existence but there is no all-or-nothing proposition here, nor is there cause to retcon "just because"--which I would say is the biggest issue that people have with TCW retcons, particularly Barriss Offee, whose story was changed purely for shock value.

10. darkchrono

May 23, 2005
    I tell you what. I will stop saying how 'c' canon doesn't matter as soon as everyone else on here stops saying how bad particular things are simply because they don't adhere to 'c' canon.

11. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Again, why does it matter so much to you if people like the EU and were bothered when some things got changed (or on the thread topic, if they liked 2003 CW because it adhered to the EU they liked)? I'm not following.

You're entitled to dislike C-canon and/or think it doesn't matter but you repeat it so much that you seem to have an unusually strong stake in it.

Esg and Mia Mesharad like this.
  12. darkchrono

May 23, 2005
    I'll just say again as long as people continue to bash things that lucasfilm did simply because they didn't follow 'c' canon I will continue to say how much 'c' canon doesn't matter and how they had every right to disregard it if they wanted to.

13. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Or, y'know, you could just not be a condescending jerkass and stop trying to tell people their feelings and opinions are irrelevant because you say so. I know that sounds crazy, but hey, just a thought...

Contessa, CaptainHamYoyo, Esg and 2 others like this.
  14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Yeah, I tried...I was just seeing if maybe he hated the EU and was glad the show retconned it or something.

But...it's about other posters. Alrighty then, carry on.

Micro series or TCW?

The "cave scene" with Anakin in the micro series was one that sticks out that I didn't like, although it was much better than Mortis.

15. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    Not a fan of Vader foreshadowing?

16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Not at all, nor any supernatural "destiny"-based crap. I get it, CW/TCW, Anakin becomes Vader--can we focus on the time frame we are actually portraying instead of what happens in a few years?

To be fair, I've never liked the cave scene on Dagobah either.

Of course to give the microseries credit, at least it didn't play the Imperial March every time Anakin scowled.

17. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    The supernatural destiny stuff just seems natural to me since it's part of the Force, and both Anakin and Luke are Jedi. I understand people get tired of all the Vader hints though.

18. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Well, regardless of what we think now, we know that we did not get the tie in into ROTS. You know what that means? That means that the 2nd volume of the clone wars micro-series along with the LOE are still the real tie in's and can't be discarded. No matter what GL says or anyone else for that matter. In fact, when you look at the star wars: the clone wars series, it really is Asoka's story. The movie introduced her and the last 4 season 5 episodes showed her walking away from the order. From that context, the show can be considered finished and complete. What messes up this series is that we all know that its incomplete and when it comes to future star wars animation we all have to ask the following questions:

1) Will they complete what they start? Or will it end up more of the same? If ratings are bad, they cancel, and if they want another direction they still cancel. What about completing what they start.

2) Can star wars animation be successful outside of parodies? Family Guy episodes, Robot chicken, and star wars lego, almost released star wars:detours?

3) Can star wars animation be something different that doesn't have to revolve or be or have the clone wars? We already have the star wars micro series that has a little over 2 hours of animation, the clone wars movie which is an additional hour and a half and 5 seasons, 108 episodes with almost 40 hours of additional clone wars stuff. Not too mention the pending bonus content, all those comics, novels, and video games to name a few.

4) Can they do just a regular star wars animated series? Not the 10 minute Nelvana production, or the over expensive, but downsized, restricted, kiddie Droids and Ewoks cartoons of old, or the 3 minutes micro series with a 5 minutes one for episode 20. Then we came with 12 minutes episodes. In other words, unorthodox form of story telling. Then with this last series they went with a western, Korean anime, manga type of animated style that cost an arm and a leg. Why not do a series that has 26 episodes with regular glorious 2-d animation? Avengers: Earth Mightiest Heroes looked good, and so does Ultimate Spiderman, and the Ben 10 series and look at Adventure time. That series has won awards. So less babbles and more regular 2-D content.

19. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    vong333, those are some good questions you bring up about the future SW animation. And you're right that the microseries and LoE events still stand, but it still kind of bugs me that the two aren't so easily reconciled due to them portraying the same events a little differently. I'm assuming that LoE takes precedence due to what others have said, and it does seem more believable than the events in Volumes 21-25.

Anyways, to address your questions:

1) I think this is a matter of the popularity of the new show. Now that Disney is in charge, I imagine that they would do everything they can to promote it so as to draw in a larger audience. So really, the main issue is quality. While TCW was very hit-and-miss, and this new series may be more of the same, I suspect that they will be able to complete the show this time around. TCW was only cancelled due to the Disney sale (taking the show away from CN), and the desire of the company to focus their resources on the upcoming films, spinoffs, new animated series, etc. Had that not happened, I imagine it would have been able to run its course.

2) TCW I felt was fairly successful. Sure, it seem more targeted at a niche audience, but it was nonetheless critically praised, if not quite as popular as some of the other animation like the Marvel-based comic book superheroes. With Disney, ever the expert in animation, in charge, I don't see why not.

3) Based on what they said about the new series, that it will take place in a time period previously unexplored by the films and animation, it's safe to assume that they aren't going to revisit in the Clone Wars, at least not in the foreseeable future. The closest we'll get to the TCW era is perhaps reuse of and reappearances from certain characters.

4) I imagine that Disney has profit solely in mind. In which case, they will probably go for cheaper animation techniques than what LFA was running with TCW. TCW was funded largely out of Lucas' pockets, as well as the deal with Time Warner, and Lucas didn't seem to care much about making a profit. Disney will likely be different, so I won't be surprised if they used more modern 2D animation for the new show. I'm sure the visuals will be good, but in the end what most of us care about is the quality and consistency of the stories.

20. themetresgained

themetresgained Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2013
    I really liked the microseries' nods to other things in the saga. Like the fact that Anakin fought Ventress on Yavin IV.

I haven't seen enough of TCW to make a judgement, but I really like the microseries and thought its only flaw was that the Force feats were seriously overdone. Like, Mace Windu taking out one of those hardcore battle droids by removing all the screws and nuts and bolts that keep it together? Too much.

21. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    I loved those force feats although in retrospect it might have paved the path for Starkiller although the EU does have Palpatine creating massive force storms to wreck fleets so you know not all that bad compared to that.

22. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    I actually watched the micro series again last week for the first time in years, looking at potential vocals from Obi-Wan, Mace, Yoda and Padme that I could use for my Clone Wars fan edit films.

Overall I definately prefer TCW, but the micro series certainly has its good points.
    The story felt like it was moving forward through the clone wars.
    It covered major Clone Wars stories like Anakin's Jedi trial, how Dooku discovers Ventress and the kidnapping of the chancellor.
    Grievous was badass.

23. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I love both a lot, but the old series never let me down and made me into the fan I am today. You would not be hearing as half as much Tikkes-related stuff and posts from me if it was not for Genndy Tartakovsky's 2003 series.

We are nearing to the point soon when we will have to debate "Rebels vs The Clone Wars"... I am sure that thread will come soon...

24. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Again, we'll talk in 2014 for TCW vs. Rebels.

The Genndy series just didn't hook me, it was to short and didn't give me time to get into characters (remember I'm a more casual fan) beyond the PT characters and it didn't explore any mythos. TCW did that which is what got more into SW. I know I'm a special case far as fans go.

Darth Vader likes this.
  25. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    Or better yet, Rebels vs TCW vs micro-series.