main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Abrams to Direct VIII and IX?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Immortiss, Apr 20, 2013.

1. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    He's been saying that since 2009 when the first Star Trek came out. This passionate TED talk he did a few years back is one of my favorite times I've heard him (or anyone else, for that matter) talk about Star Wars. And I loved hearing him talk about film and mystery in general as well.

That being said, just because he is passionate about Star Wars doesn't mean he is going to do it forever. He may know what he wants to do with Episode VII and then, like Lucas, pass it down to see the next person's take on the material.

Seagoat likes this.
  2. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    I'd like for those two to direct any Star Wars movie.

Darkslayer likes this.
  3. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    If Episode VII rates 92% on Rottentomatoes & 8.5 on IMDB & does $1.8 billion worldwide then J.J Abrams must at least direct EP VIII ..............

4. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    If Episode 7 is universally praised and passes two billion (which it very realistically could do), then I see him handling the entire trilogy. Duncan Jones, Neil Blomkamp (who I think very subtly expressed interest in handling a SW film one day) and Matthew Vaughn for spin-offs please.

5. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I kinda wanna see Abrams jump back into Trek for the third if only because he has put a personalized stamp on that corner of the Trek universe. Also I think it would be really interesting if the ST bounced around directors. Finally, Abrams works a lot but I can't see him ridding the Star Wars trolley for 3 movies in a row. Guy takes a bit of time between flicks. Disney wants an ST flick every 2 years, doesn't seem his pace.

6. Darth_Panicius

Darth_Panicius Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 7, 2013
    Peter Jackson for IX? Well the ST would last longer with Ep IX pt 1, pt 2 and pt 3 lol

Jedi Merkurian and Darkslayer like this.
  7. vypernight

vypernight Jedi Master star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    Only if he wants ZERO sleep for the next 5+ years.

8. w4tkn

w4tkn Jedi Master star 1

Jan 25, 2013
    My head predictions are -

Ep VIII - Dependant on JP IV being a success Colin Trevorrow
    Ep IX - Joseph Kosinski

It wont be Peter Jackson, Coppola, Spielberg or Orson Wells

My heart predictions would be

Ep VIII - Alfonso Cuaron
    Ep IX - Ang Lee

Yodahasgreenfeet likes this.
  9. TheManFromMortis

TheManFromMortis Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2012
    _ _ _ _

Well, the OT had three different directors and that worked well.

10. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    [face_laugh]

11. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    This would be fun.

12. Jinn-N-Tonic

Jinn-N-Tonic Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 17, 2006
    I begining to lose faith in Kathleen Kennedy

First she hires Micheal Ardnt to write the screenplay. His previous work includes Toy Story 3 (a movie for babies) and Little Miss Sunshine (a chick flick) and now she wants the no-talent scumbag hack Abrams to crap all over the entire ST.

Not good.

13. SweetZombieJesus

SweetZombieJesus Jedi Padawan star 2

Apr 12, 2013
    He just said on Howard Stern that if there is a 3rd he will direct and worded it as if there is no other choice; Trek seems to be under contract to Bad Robot, that's what I inferred from his statement.

As for too many fingers in too many pies, he did admit he hasn't even seen every episode of his own show, Fringe.

He didn't spill much of anything about Star Wars, though.

14. SweetZombieJesus

SweetZombieJesus Jedi Padawan star 2

Apr 12, 2013
    Many people say Star Wars is for babies.

I took my young nieces to see TS3 and I was horrified by the climax scene where the toys are holding hands facing death by incinerator. It was virtually Schindler's List. And it was a movie about loss and moving on.

15. Jinn-N-Tonic

Jul 17, 2006
    Fringe. Yes Abrams show that he created which blatently ripsoff the X-Files.

16. Darth_Brad03

Darth_Brad03 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 21, 2003
    8-}

The Hellhammer likes this.
  17. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    We have our new contender for dumbest post ever.

18. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I couldn't disagree more. I loved TS3 and thought it was one of the most intelligent and thoughtful children's movie I've seen. While made for children in no way was it childish. Also I don't know if you've seen Little Miss Sunshine or not but if you haven't you might want to check it out before you comment on it because in no way is it a "chick flick". I think Michael Arndt is a brilliant writer. We're in good hands.

19. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yeah, Toy Story 3 is a lot more than a movie for babies. I know many adults who cried watching it because of how strongly it resonated for them, especially if they were parents. The screenplay for that shows that Arndt has a great understanding of how tell a good story. I haven't seen Little Miss Sunshine, though, so I can't speak to that.

20. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    [face_laugh] That's the second time I've used that face when replying to one of your "serious" posts. Make of that what you will.

21. Jinn-N-Tonic

Jul 17, 2006
    So you admit that Toy Story 3 is a movie for babies.

As for Little Miss Sunshine:
    Smells like a chickflick to me. You know the saying "if it walks like a duck....."

22. Jinn-N-Tonic

Jul 17, 2006
    No big surprise that another JJ Abrams fan/apologist looking to pick a fight with me by throwing personal insults at me.

23. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Please note that he said dumbest POST, not dumbest POSTER. These views you have could be presented in a less antagonistic way.

At any rate, people, let's all play nice. Thanks.

24. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    No I admit that it is a children's movie kind of like how George Lucas always describes Star Wars as. As for LMS, I'm guessing you haven't seen it. I've always found it important to actually see a movie before commenting on its content. You'd be surprised.

25. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    [​IMG]

Aren't you the guy who complained about what a travesty it was for JJ Abrams to work on the ST because he made some secret pact with Disney to cancel The Clone Wars? How is a show that features burping Hutt babies and grocery shopping for fruits and day tickets to the droid spa any less for babies than a movie about growing old and our sense of mortality?