main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT To this day, does anyone find Palpatine's death ironic and hilarious?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Graves101, May 9, 2013.

1. Graves101

Graves101 Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 28, 2013
    The most powerful Sith Lord in galactic history, one of the greatest lightsaber duelists of all time, one of the most powerful force users of all time....dies by getting simply lifted up by a weak, nearly dead old man, and thrown into a hole.

2. CaptainHamYoyo

CaptainHamYoyo Jedi Master star 2

Aug 18, 2011
    To be fair, Vader was 45 or so(not an old man), not really weak except for having his robotic hand chopped off(I can see arguing lifting Palps up by one robotic hand and a stump), and wasn't nearly dead until getting zapped by Palps' lightning.

3. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    In a movie that introduces us to Zero Dark Thirty Teddy Bears, proclaims said teddy bears' language includes the word 'BOOOOOM!', and plays Boba Fett's death for laughs by having him go to his (presumed) death flapping his arms and screaming like something out of a Road Runner cartoon?

A series that, for an encore, in its first episode descends to fart jokes and literally stepping in crap?

No, Palpatine's death is high drama by comparison. :D

4. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    I don't find it hilarious at all. That poor old man who selflessly spent his life attempting to restore order to a corrupt and chaotic society - betrayed and murdered by his right hand man who had clearly been brainwashed by a religious cult as a child. The tragedy is compounded by the remaining members of the cult using Vader's own son to give the trigger which would activate the order implanted in him at a young age ("Father, please").

Palpatine didn't even have the chance to properly utter, "Et tu, Vader...?"

5. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    He's probably about the only movie character whose death I actively cheered at in my younger days. They just piled on the completely unsympathetic with ROTJ Palpatine and I honestly hated him when I was younger.

You don't trash talk Darth Vader and expect me to feel bad about you dying, I guess :p

Darth_Pevra and eht13 like this.
  6. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    For the first time in while, Anakin had a new reason to live. It wasn't like destroying the Emperor was an easy task, though. Despite taking him by surprise, the lightning he absorbed almost killed him right there.

I'm sure there are other ways Vader could have dispatched of him, but throwing him down an endless chasm seems like the most dramatic and iconic.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  7. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    I'll go along with that. Whenever I've seen ROTJ in a theater, Palpatine's death is always greeted with cheers and shouts of "YES!!!!".

8. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    Seeing that the Emperor is so focused on killing Luke that he completely ignores what is happening with Vader more or less.

The Emperor said some time ago that Vader couldn't come back from the Dark Side and what happened? Anakin Slywalkert came back.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

"The Starman and Moon Goddess."

9. Ambervikings91

Ambervikings91 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    This post is a fail

10. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    It could've been done better . More of a struggle etc.

11. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I loved the irony that Palpatine forsaw a complete overhaul in the Galactic Government but failed to forsee that a parent would die to save her/his offspring.

12. Aaronaman

Aaronaman Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 12, 2013
    Wasnt the fact he was defeated by two of his greatest projects (Death Star, Vader) the whole point??.....good had to prevail over evil and a long drawn out battle wasnt needed at that point of the story, the war was already won

13. clone3131

clone3131 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    I don't get why Palps didn't build Vaders suit with an Order 99 or something that prevented Vader from killing or harming Palps.

-C

Emperor Von Schweetz likes this.
  14. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    We see that Sidious/Palpatine's Force Lightning did irreparable damage to the suit.

Anakin knows in the end that he's going to die simply because the suit is too badly damaged to be fixed and he won't live long enough to be taken somewhere high tech enough for him to be saved.

15. clone3131

clone3131 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004

What I meant was that why did Palaptine build a fail-safe into Vader like he did the clones - one that prevented Vader from harming Palpatine. So when Vader picks up Palpatine - Palpatine could yell "ORDER 99!" and Vader would stop.

-C

16. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Vader would not be a Sith in that case.
    The Galactic Civil War would have continued as long as Palpatine lived.

17. Aaronaman

Aaronaman Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 12, 2013
    Vader had already said that Palpatine had fore-seen that Luke would be the one to over throw him....so surely the Emperor knew the war was over as soon as Luke opposed him

18. Scummy_and_Villainous

Scummy_and_Villainous Jedi Knight star 3

May 13, 2013
    I actually Palpatine's death iconic and vicarious.

VadersLaMent and Lady_Misty like this.
  19. Skelter

Skelter Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    Palpatine deserved a better death. Being thrown over a railing is major let-down. The guy beat Yoda in a duel, destroyed the Jedi, took over the galalxy, destroyed planets on a whim..Him being thrown over a rail is bleh..

20. Darth Dominikkus

Darth Dominikkus Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2013
    I think it was a perfect fulfillment of the Prophesy of the Chosen One. I mean, Vader redeems himself and sacrifices himself for his son after all of these years of trying to get him to go through the same torment of the Dark Side that he went through. Sure, Palps' death was a little pathetic seeing his title, but it was an incredible moment in time.

21. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    [face_laugh]=D=[face_laugh]

22. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I know their deaths occur differently but Maul and Palpatine both fall down a shaft. Maul was cut in half and fell down and Palpatine was thrown down the shaft. Overkill much?

23. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I think Vader had his suit thoroughly checked for that kind of surprise. He is not stupid.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  24. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    Even if Palpatine did it would only stop Vader/Anakin psychically he would still be able to use the Force.

25. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    Whether we like it or not, the seemingly weak overcome the seemingly invincible often in SW if their will is strong enough. Jar jar, Ewoks, Luke v Death Star. It's an ongoing theme. Execution wise... perhaps it could've been done better.