main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion How do you want the new films to be made? CGI or Practical FX?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by themetresgained, May 13, 2013.

1. themetresgained

themetresgained Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2013
    Mark Hamill in his surprise May 4th interview said that he wants to see less reliance on CGI and more on traditional film visuals and trickery.

There's also been announcement that Episode VII is going to be shot in UK studios, as well as a rumour that it's going to be filmed on location in Scotland.

How does everyone else feel?

Less green-screen? More? More sets and on-location shooting?

MODified: Edited the title to get this set up as the home for this discussion. - ACOD

Darth Dnej and TheManFromMortis like this.
  2. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    I want them to be made well ;)

3. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Seconded, and motion carried!

4. themetresgained

Feb 23, 2013
    I think I want less CGI except for the shots that really need it. Some of my favourite scenes in the PT are ones that don't really utilise CGI all that much.

SithLord_1270 likes this.
  5. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    I think they do need to do a better job of balancing green screen and practical sets.

Sum-Wan likes this.
  6. themetresgained

Feb 23, 2013
    Part of my concern is that CG effects can start to look dated over time. Whereas I think the part of the OT that looks dated is mostly the silly computing equipment they have :p the rest of the film looks fine due to virtually no reliance on CG.

7. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I'm no film expert (I just play one on discussion forums ;)) so I'll just say I want them to use whatever they need to make the best film possible. CGI, practical effects, it doesn't matter to me I just want it to look great.

8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I actually like CGI. I find it jarring to watch older films that don't have it; it's easier for me to be taken out of reality with computer effects.

9. Buddha Fett

Buddha Fett Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 1999
    How it's done matters nothing. If the end result is a worthy and fantastic addition to the Saga, that I can watch with the same thrill and awe as I did with the others, then I'll be a happy boy.
    I don't go to a restaurant with excessive concerns over how a meal is prepared, as long as I'm satisfied with the end result - and not left hungry after the table is cleared. ;)

10. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I'm so glad somebody finally brought this up.

11. themetresgained

Feb 23, 2013
    I saw people having to actively resist discussing this topic in other threads where it was only tangentially related, so I thought I'd make the thread myself :p

12. Buddha Fett

Dec 18, 1999
    Oh, come on now. I'm sure the OP thought to do a search of existing topics before starting a new (not redundant) thread.

13. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I am going to give this thread about 5 more posts to see if somehow... cosmically... this is somehow a new topic.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  14. Buddha Fett

Dec 18, 1999
    Going once...

15. themetresgained

Feb 23, 2013
    Wait. If that was indeed sarcasm, yes, I did do a search. And none of the other threads where this issue was discussed saw a mod going 'you want to discuss this in Thread X' so I figured I wasn't missing something.

I'm sorry if I made a mistake.

16. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    The post above this doesn't count toward my forewarned "probationary period". Make this a unique topic or I shall surely lop its head off. :p

17. Sum-Wan

Sum-Wan Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 2013
    CGI, just as rockanroll, is here to stay. In the case of the space ships, I love the models used in the OT because they look real but their movement is clunky and unrealistic, so the moves (and also the explosions) look a lot better when they're done with CGI.
    As far as sets go, the less CGI the better.
    As far as Aliens, if they can be played by a human in makeup and disguise, as long as they don't require facial expressions while using a mask, go with it.
    No puppets for the same reason as the humans in masks, I prefer CGI instead, when they cannot be played by humans.

18. themetresgained

Feb 23, 2013
    How is it not unique? Sure it's been discussed briefly in other threads but it doesn't have a thread of its own, and I figured that consolidation would be more effective for people who want to discuss the technical production aspects as a whole and not just discuss the relevance of individual news bits.

I agree with Sum-Wan - masks should be used as much as possible. They did a great job in the PT with how slimy the Neimoidians looked. But others should definitely be CG, if it can't convincingly be played by a human in a suit/costume/makeup/mask.

Anyone have an opinion on film vs. digital?

What about 3D? I personally could really do without 3D.

19. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Hence why I have spared it. That is our deal.

Pray I don't alter it any further. :p

20. Buddha Fett

Dec 18, 1999
    Right. I'll give the OP a topic extension...
    The OT was filmed with archaic practical effects and trial and error attempting to make the impossible possible. It was a group of inexperienced creators using what they had to get the job done, and in the process they created an entirely new way of doing things. With the PT, technology in computer effects and 3D environments were used to do what could never be done. This allowed the creators total freedom in realizing on film anything they could imagine and bring it into reality.
    Going forward, should Disney/ILM rely on what has worked in the past, or should they 'pass the torch' and allow for the same kind of ground-breaking, forward-thiniking innovation that propelled Star Wars into what it has become?
    Star Wars has always been a proving ground for the future of special effects in film. We've seen practical, and we've seen digital. What's next?
    Discuss.

21. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    That is a brilliant question, actually...

Buddha Fett likes this.
  22. themetresgained

Feb 23, 2013
    Is there anything beyond digital? Other than making digital FX look more and more realistic?

23. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Genetic splicing to actually turn someone into a wookiee. :)

24. themetresgained

Feb 23, 2013
    Soo... Uncanny valley practical? :p

25. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    3D holofilms!

Watch it from any angle...