main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Ultimate Swordsman (Part I)

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Silas Nightstalker, May 11, 2013.

?

Out of these light-side duelists, who is the greatest?

1. Luke Skywalker

55.6%
  2. Obi-Wan Kenobi

33.3%
  3. Mace Windu

33.3%
  4. Yoda

44.4%
  5. Anakin Skywalker

33.3%
  6. Qui-Gon Jinn

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Kit Fisto

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Depa Billaba

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Ganner Rhysode

5.6%
  10. Kyp Durron

5.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Silas Nightstalker

Silas Nightstalker Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 7, 2012
    Alright, @DarthJenari and I have been talking, and we have decided to find out who the ultimate swordman/woman is in the EU, as well as those that would place in a Top Ten type contest. I had this in a previous post, but we decided to revamp it. We have nominated the following:

I nominate Palpatine, Plagueis, Bane, Zannah, Dooku, Ventress, Kas'im, Vader, Maul, Anakin, (yes, I consider their styles to be separate), Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon, Yoda, Mace, Depa Billaba, Luke, Jacen/Caedus, Tahiri, Jaina, Leia, Mara, Ganner, Kyp, Luke, Corran, Kyle Katarn, Exar Kun, Darth Krayt, Uliq Qel Droma, Revan, Kit Fisto.

This is for notable swordmen/women only. Cin Drallig, the battlemaster, would not count because we have no account of him ever fighting.

And no, Starkiller/Galen Marek doesn't count either, because...well, just because.

We will be taking other nominations, but this is primarily for setting up the contest. We will have discussions about the outcome of each contest. Let's be civil, but have fun. And.....GO!

2. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    Am I being obvious in my lustfest?? ;)

zarkinfrood and Silas Allender like this.
  3. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    You? Never.

4. Silas Nightstalker

Sep 7, 2012
    You know, it's a pity that we haven't seen more of Kyp as a duelist.

5. zark

zark Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2009
    I'm going Obi-Wan, as no one else was able to beat Grievous.

6. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Kyp never met him! :D [face_batting]:D

7. Silas Nightstalker

Sep 7, 2012
    I do believe that Kyp would have owned Grievous. After all, at one time, he was actually more powerful than Luke himself, until Luke stopped holding back. If Anakin was considered a better fighter than Obi-Wan (ROTS novelization), and Luke was the fulfillment of Anakin (George Lucas), and Kyp was almost as strong as Luke (NJO), then yes, I believe it would have been no contest. And really, Obi-Wan defeated Grievous in the duel quite easily.

Adalia-Durron likes this.
  8. zark

zark Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2009
    I contend that on the grounds that power has nothing whatsoever to do with dueling ability, hence anakin losing to obi-wan, and windu losing to grievous. Kyp does indeed have more raw force potential than luke, but that has never really mattered much, as no one has had luke's skill ABY. However, Kyp very possibly could have beaten grievous. That is certainly up for debate, I agree.

9. zark

zark Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2009
    I contend that on the grounds that power has nothing whatsoever to do with dueling ability, hence anakin losing to obi-wan, and windu losing to grievous. Kyp does indeed have more raw force potential than luke, but that has never really mattered much, as no one has had luke's skill ABY. However, Kyp very possibly could have beaten grievous. That is certainly up for debate, I agree.

EDIT: Also, if power=skill, Sidious would have beaten Windu outright.

10. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    If it is just skill I would say Kir Kanos

11. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    I love you! :p

Silas Allender likes this.
  12. Silas Nightstalker

Sep 7, 2012
    Well, Anakin lost because he lost his temper and became careless. Windu vs Grievous? I'm guessing that happened in The Clone Wars show? I think most agree that the show doesn't count. I mean, come on...Anakin having a padawan as SOON as he becomes a Jedi Knight? And no mention of Ahsoka in any novel (at least that I've read)? Plus, it's 5 seasons taking place between 3 years. Not valid, at least to me. Sith Blademaster Kas'im believed that a talented enough duelist could have defeated someone stronger in the Force, but he lost to Bane, a superior Force user.

13. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    Windu vs Grevious happened in the FIRST Clone Wars show. You know? The one that actually matters lol they also had a confrontation during Labryinth of Evil I believe...IDK haven't read that one in a long time.

In terms of Kyp vs Grevious, we have to think, does Kyp have the showings to imply he's more skilled with the blade than a dude that killed dozens of Jedi?

Obi-Wan vs Vader is what Kas'im was talking about. Vader was the stronger, but Obi-Wan still one due to his skill with the blade.

14. Silas Nightstalker

Sep 7, 2012
    Now, there could be an argument made that Kyp would have easily lost, considering he was easily beaten by a YV Slayer, and one that was infected with Alpha Red at that. It seemed to me that during the NJO, Kyp focused all his talents on piloting a starfighter, as opposed to groundfighting like Jacen, Corran, Ganner, etc.

15. zark

zark Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2009
    Windu also lost in the books. I forget which one, but it was a duel on top of a mag lev train thingy on Coruscant during the kidnapping of Palpatine. (This was at least briefly referenced in the novelization of Episode III) And whether Anakin lost due to his temper or not, it still shows that power does not equate to skill/ability to win. Don't get me wrong, this is all debatable because it's all subjective, nonetheless my point stands.

16. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    I didn't put much thought into this. After one read through, I decided it was between Luke and Obi-Wan. I went Luke because he beat Vader and Anakin didn't.

17. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Not in the voting list is the awesomeness that is Kyle Katarn! (Jerec, Tavion and Desann). He only lost to Jacen because he got hit in the back by a speeder!

Not in either list is Jaden Korr! (Alora, Tavion and Tavion posessed by the spirit of Marka Ragnos!).

On balance, I would vote for Kyle Katarn!

18. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    My vote is for Anakin, ROTS, pre-Vader.

Edit: actually, maybe that's a dumb choice: Obi whupped him.

19. Silas Nightstalker

Sep 7, 2012
    Check out my other list! Kyle is on it. :)

20. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    There are way too many great swordsman in this list. I voted for the Skywalkers, Yoda, Mace, and Obi-Wan for specific reasons. The Skywalkers were the masters of Form V, Yoda was the master of Form IV, Mace created Vaapad, the second sub-form of Form VII, and Obi-Wan was the master of From III.

Bardan_Jusik likes this.
  21. Silas Nightstalker

Sep 7, 2012
    Yeah, I should have made the lists more even.

22. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    This one really is close. Luke, Obi-Wan, Mace, Yoda, and Anakin all come to mind as having a shot, and all have excellent feats with the blade. I will say however that Luke, Mace, and Yoda each took on Sidious, while Yoda outright stated Obi-Wan wouldn't have been able to. Obi-Wan beat Anakin, though you may or may not want to attribute that loss to Vader. Some people do, some don't, just depends on how you see it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.