main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends "Cat litter" (re-loaded), an old fanfic in a new coat

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by AzureAngel2, Sep 8, 2012.

1. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    You should gross your kids out by kissing in public, holding hands and all other signs of affection. It's the best way ot show them that they shouldn't be ashamed.

Happy times for all; but it could all end. :/

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  2. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    The chimney fire was not more than a gleaming heap of ash. Brocade pillows were spread throughout our chamber. The silken bed sheets lay crumbled in a corner. Both scimitars remained where we had dropped them last night.
    *laughs evilly*​

I jumped when Luna´s face appeared in the door frame.
    She's irritating. You don't just walk in on naked people like that!​
    But sparring. *cackles* I love it. mmhmm sparring with Lucien's stick ;)

“Your mother makes those when she gets excited in the heat of battle.”
    *waggles eyeborows*​

“Pick a name,” I begged him.
    Sometimes that's dangerous... but Dawn is beautiful.​

Heulwen is in trouble!!!​
    And IS trouble.​

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  3. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Family planning nice and to see the children reacting.

Love the name Dawn and a great discussion about the light and dark

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  4. Tyranus230

Tyranus230 Jedi Master star 7

Feb 16, 2005
    “He seldom chooses sides. He simply is.”

I like that. It is a good way to view things rather than always looking at issues in absolutes.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  5. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005

Okay, folks, here a brief update for I have a busy weekend to face, but a lot of the birds updates to read:

Chapter 47: Growth

Five sun days later, Luçien came back from a mission in the lake district. I ran to met him by the royal stables, not caring that my Elfin garments got wet from the drizzling rain outside.

He was just about to give Czarny to the care of a stable boy. My entrance made him spin around. A broad smile bloomed on his lips.

Seeing how rain-soaked his travel cloak was, I decided to manoeuvre Luçien into kitchen. I wanted to tell him about Garou’s name for our baby at the warm hearth fire and a decent mug of jasmine tea.

The very instant we came through the door, a choir of cheers greeted us. I was glad that Luçien was so beloved since the memorial ceremony. He still was embarrassed about so much open affection and trust, but he enjoyed being the master of Dún Barr.

In the end, it was Norn and not I who took his cloak off. She had somebody fetch his slippers and morning robe. Then she made us sit down opposite one another at the staff table. “It is too late for lunch and too early for dinner,” she informed us crisply.

“So?” I suggested into the open, slightly irritated and confused.

To my relief her brown eyes filled with glee. “His Lordship is precisely on time for a real Elfin High Tea. And you are to join him, Grianán. With the new baby coming you need more fat on your ribs again.”

The chéf clapped her chubby hands together.

A middle-aged man, who I knew to be named Jamie Ramsey, brought us a large silver etagere, filled with scones topped with lemon-thyme curd and whipped cream. There was also salted chocolate caramel shortbread and yoghurt rhubarb filling little glass pots.

The tea itself was offered us in an elegant looking glass tea pot that stood on a tea warmer. In the water, a dry jasmine blossom was unfurling, literally blooming in front of our astonished eyes.

“You really work true magic,” beamed Luçien. His face was alight with appreciation.

Norn chuckled and walked off to the common room.

We watched as the kitchen workers cleared out. Finally, we were all alone and I was able to tell Luçien what his youngest son had said to me.

“Dawn,” he repeated, stroking through his well-groomed goatee. “Garou is right. I do like that particular hour of the day very much.”

“Why?” I asked curiously, my chin resting in my right palm.

He smiled broadly. “There is already the presence of weak sunlight, while the sun itself is still below the horizon. The darkness has to give in to the light like I gave in to you.”

With that, Luçien leaned over, reached out for my left hand and kissed it. I felt a burst of delight sweeping through my entire body. Even after eight sun years of marriage, he still could set my blood on fire.

“Our daughter might be as rosy-fingered as dawns light. Nomen est omen,” I joked. The name is a sign.

“Who knows?” He gazed at me with an endearing combination of adoration and lust. “Your Tjiehenet blood is strong. It cannot always be my genes winning. Garou has fairly light skin, too.”

I took a sip from my porcelain mug, only to be overwhelmed by the tea. Its taste was delicious and golden with fragrant, floral overtones.

“By the way, where are the twins?” he asked.

“They are studying some dramatic play for us,” I explained and took another sip. “We have to wait here until Kai comes with the invitation. It is a private viewing, you know. No other guests allowed.”

“Ah,” he got out, visibly touched by the prospect that Faith and Hope had missed him so much that they had prepared their own surprise for him.

(To be continued!)

SWpants666
    Lady_Misty
    earlybird-obi-wan
    Gkilkenny
    DarthUncle
    Tyranus230
    Sinrebirth

6. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    Children with vivid imaginations are the best. My mom said that as a very young child I would play games. One of them I would put my hands out of one of our van's windows and I would have them talk to each other.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  7. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    do I detect more warm feelings for him here?

Oh no, I'm just being dirty :p

I wanted to tell him about Garou’s name for our baby at the warm hearth fire and a decent mug of jasmine tea.

A good time and place for such news.

“There is already the presence of weak sunlight, while the sun itself is still below the horizon. The darkness has to give in to the light like I gave in to you.”

There is also more magic in the dawn than at twilight - perhaps because of this.

visibly touched by the prospect that Faith and Hope had missed him so much that they had prepared their own surprise for him.

Idiot. That should be utterly terrifying :p

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  8. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Lovely scenes. All are happy and kids are playing

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  9. Tyranus230

Feb 16, 2005
    That kind of surprise can be good or bad. I suspect it will be a bad one.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  10. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    I bet that was fun, dear Misty. Thanks for sharing this with us! [:D]

Okay, my dear reader community. Here we go again, making bold steps towards the end:

Later on that day, when the play was finished, the family dinner had been taken and the twins were tucked into their bed, Luçien and I were relaxing in a warm bubble bath together. I had made it as romantic as possible. There were perfumed candles and fragrant rose buds floating around us. A tray with red wine and sweets was in reach.

“And who will be Dawn´s godmother?” my husband asked, leaning against me.

I combed my fingers through his wet hair. “I thought about Heulwen.”

“Don´t,” he advised me. His heartbeat became overly loud.

“Is it because she is nine?” I asked.

“She is not a suitable choice. You want our daughter to be safe and loved if anything should ever happen to us.”

I pondered on that. There was indeed not much love left in our niece´s heart. We kept pretending that it would change one fine day, that we all could be a happy family again.

My eyes wandered towards the nearest candle flame. Fire scrying was not something that I should do around Luçien, but I could not help it. Instead of seeing the future, my mind travelled back to my childhood on the Holy Isle of Cunabula.

“Aranea?” I asked in a dazed voice.

“Excellent choice,” he replied and tucked my nose. “And now you can stop doing clairvoyance or whatever you just did.”

The fact that Luçien knew and remained calm about it, made me unbelievably happy. He had changed so much since my abduction so many sun years ago. Ever since I had turned his whole belief system upside down and yet he loved me, fiercely and loyally.

“What do you think about Parhelion as Dawn´s godfather?” he interrupted my thoughts.

“Why not?” I answered, my stomach slightly knotted. “I bet your brother will do just fine.”

Luçien turned around to face me. “You are not utterly convinced about him, are you?”

I held his gaze and answered with more confidence. “Yes, Parhelion deserves this second chance after Polysýndeton.”

“I can feel your reserve about that old wound,” he observed.

My nose wrinkled. “It is something I am working on, Luçien. Protecting one´s family is not easy. But, as you may know yourself, it is for the better.”

“I beg you not to repeat my mistakes, my love.” He gave me a thoughtful look. “Protection can turn into a dangerous obsession.”

“It would have mattered a lot to Isabeau to learn the truth from you. She never knew what you did to keep her alive and safe from all harm. Especially from Kairos and the Human League.”

“There are things that I do not like to talk about.” Abruptly, he got out of the bathtub. “Not even with you.”

“But I am always willing to help.”

His features darkened. “Your father once tricked me of some of my secrets. I almost hated him for that.”

My surprise was genuine.

Luçien pulled me up and started rubbing me dry. Despite his gruff tone, he was very careful with me. “I was still a boy back then, not knowing what reading micro-expressions meant.”

Impulsively, I hugged him. “Stop blaming yourself. You were a frightened child, not knowing where to turn to for shelter and safety.”

“I should not have killed my grandfather the way that I did.” He looked down on me, his face full of emotions. “His entire life was a call of duty. He wanted a strong messiah, leading our people into a better future. Nobody ever taught him how to love another being.”

“There are no excuses for what he did to you,” I ensured my husband.

Tenderness reflected in his eyes. “Then we can be glad that our children get the love that they deserve, can we not?”

Openly talking about his difficult childhood was still not easy for my husband. The intimate knowledge that I had gained about it came mostly through my gift of touch, and not through our soul bond.

But I was patient. I could wait. “Sommergimi di carezze fino a farmi affogare,” I whispered into his ears. Smother me with caresses until I suffocate.

And that he did.

(To be continued!)

earlybird-obi-wan
    SWpants666
    Lady_Misty
    DarthUncle
    Tyranus230
    Gkilkenny

11. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    You do have to be careful with who you trust your children with.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  12. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    “She is not a suitable choice. You want our daughter to be safe and loved if anything should ever happen to us.”

And she's 9. A 9-year-old can't care for a baby no matter what universe they're in.

Protecting one´s family is not easy. But, as you may know yourself, it is for the better.”

Mmmmhmmmm

“Then we can be glad that our children get the love that they deserve, can we not?”

Yes :)

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  13. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Lucien had a difficult childhood and that sure is difficult to talk about.
    Nice to see him and Grianan now happy together and getting loving care

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  14. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005

@Lady_Misty
    @SWpants666
    @earlybird-obi-wan

And I hope that
    @Gkilkenny
    @Tyranus230
    @DarthUncle

are still with us!!!

My pregnancy went smoothly, but Dawn´s birth was a complicated one. I was in labour for more than forty-eight sun hours, all spent in excruciating pain. The situation became so desperate that Luçien decided to ask both Valiant and Garou for assistance. With their combined Force healing powers, the three were able to stop my extreme blood loss and help my daughter to enter the universe without the necessity of an abdominal delivery.

But there were complications of a different kind. When the danger was over we sent for Sionnach.

My cousin arrived at Dún Barr with flying skirts, and a concerned Éibhear in tow. “What went wrong?” she called out and looked around the bedchamber.

The smells of burnt cloth and scorched flesh were hard to ignore. Most of the furniture had been eaten away by the freak fire.

“She simply refused to leave my body and fought against us,” I answered weakly, while holding the little bundle against my chest. My daughter smiled in her sleep as if the havoc that she had caused never happened.

“Dawn is fierce, in the truest sense of the word.” Luçien considered. He sat next to me on the mattress, as exhausted as I was. We had known that our daughter would be a powerful Force user, but we both were still in shock.

“What in the Name of the Force happened in here?” Éibhear inquired with the harsh authority of an Elfin lord.

“There was a lot of resistance from our little sister,” Garou sighed. “Like a dragon, she spat a lot of fire.”

“Fire?” Sionnach´s almond shaped eyes turned as round as twin moons. “Pyrokinesis?”

I nodded. “Yes, she is a true fire starter.”

Éibhear said, “You better contact Grandfather Dealg about this. Perhaps he can help.”

I exchanged another look with my husband. “Can he really?”

Luçien nodded slowly. “Contacting him might not be such a bad idea. In the old days, there were many Force benders with that skill. He might know what to do.”

I sank back into my pillows.

Faith just had a hypnotic mind domination ability.

And Hope could cause little twisters.

But both girls’ powers didn’t fully develop for a few years, and had agreed never to abuse their natural Force gifts and study hard to master control of themselves.

Dawn was a baby and could not make such promises. The future was hard to determine.

Sionnach´s reassuring hand on my shoulder interrupted my train of thought. “Family is always here to help.”

[​IMG]

She was interrupted when the twins stormed in. “Can we please see the baby?”

Caelestris appeared behind Hope and Faith, her face a mask of concern. “I could not hold them any longer. Norn was on the brink of a nervous breakdown. Not even vanilla pudding calmed them. They just wanted to be with you, Gri.”

My daughters ran towards me and their sister.

Dawn opened her eyes sleepily.

For what seemed like a little eternity, my three daughters looked at one another with great interest.

It was Hope who broke the spell. “Awww, she is as cute as a button,” she shrieked enthusiastically.

“No, like an apple pie,” disagreed Faith. “Just look at these blond fuzzy locks.”

“Just like Mammy´s.”

“Which is okay, because we look more like Daddy.”

“I can let her have my old pinafores,” cheered Hope. “They will look lovely on her.”

“And she can have my pacifier,” added Faith triumphantly.

Garou joined his sisters, eager to get them out of the room. “I can donate my old teddy bear.”

Hope turned around to eye Éibhear suspiciously. “Can you also give her something?”

He nodded and fidgeted, looking out the door.

You should come around more often and play with us,” Faith said, a bit harshly. “We miss you. Don´t you like us any longer?”

“Of course I do!” he protested. “But I have a girl-friend now. She preoccupies most of my time.”

The twins beamed at him. “Please, tell us about her.”

“You know Hjorton already,” he laughed. “What is there to tell?”

“Do you kiss like mammy and daddy do? With the window wide open?” asked Faith.

We watched Éibhear and Garou walk out of the room with the girls, talking about love and the future.

(To be continued!)

15. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    My mom was in labor for her first, my oldest brother, for three days; started on Sunday and ended on Tuesday. My brother is also the only child my mother has had the most problems with.

Powers that early are going to be stressful.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  16. Tyranus230

Feb 16, 2005
    I'm still here; work has been busy lately. This mention of dragon and fire reminds me of Game of Thrones.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  17. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    I was in labour for more than forty-eight sun hours, all spent in excruciating pain.

Youch :(

“There was a lot of resistance from our little sister,” Garou sighed. “Like a dragon, she spat a lot of fire.”

I'll be honest - that freaks me the kriff out.

Faith just had a hypnotic mind domination ability.

And Hope could cause little twisters.

CRAZY

“Family is always here to help.”

Yes :)

“Awww, she is as cute as a button,”

BUTTONS AREN'T CUTE.
    I like "apple pie" better ;)

“But I have a girl-friend now. She preoccupies most of my time.”

hehe awwww

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  18. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    a fire starter ;) now Lucien and family will need to set up a little fire-department.
    Love the reactions of the children

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  19. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004
    sorry for the disappearing act, but I'm very busy and don't have time for the internet so much.[face_nail_biting]

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  20. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    @Lady_Misty: I also heard horror stories of my friends concerning birth.

@Gkilkenny: Dont worry! Just wanted to check if folk are as equally busy as I am.

@Tyranus230: Sorry, hon. No real dragons in this story.

@SWpants666: Okay, I try to describe folk "As cute as apple pie" in future, okay?

@earlybird-obi-wan: I actually thought of two of my favourite Stephen King novels here and not your former work as a fire fighter.

Anyway, here my last update for Chapter 47. Next week we have the first bit of Chapter 48:

One sun week after Dawn´s birth, Dealg appeared in a blinding flash of light in the royal library.

“It took you some time to show up, Father,” my husband commented dryly, and put his lecture aside.

The ancient Force bender gave him a sparkling smile. “I was on Polaris. It was not easy for Parhelion to get in touch with me.” He looked around in the large hall. “Can I see Dawn now?”

“We are also here, Grandfather,” remarked Hope pointedly.

Dealg scooped her into his arms and lifted her to eye level. “Of course you are, little one, but you are not in any kind of trouble are you?”

“Well, I did put glue in the boots of some stable boy...” she suggested carefully.

“You are not in real danger,” concluded Dealg. “But a Force user as small as Dawn and with such a high Midi-chlorian level needs a lot of help to find her way in the universe.”

“Can we help, too?” asked Faith hopefully.

He reached down to pat her head. “I was already counting on the two of youfor sisterly help. But she also needs me as her Grandfather for guidance.”

“Are you really as powerful as everybody claims?” Hope wanted to know.

“Power does not interest me. I seek wisdom. A Force user should constantly try to improve his or her powers, especially for the benefit of others.”

Dealg walked to the nursery with the girls. Garou was there watching over Dawn´s afternoon nap.

“Your father really is a charmer,” I said.

“He did not even greet you properly,” Luçien complained.

“Oh, he winked at me.”

“I thought he was flirting with Aranea.”

“Careful there, fuzz ball,” my childhood friend commented. “It is my policy to date only non-Force users my own age.”

“Good for you. My father cannot be trusted with women.”

Aranea patted his shoulders sneakily. “He can. In the end, his love life is less complicated than yours. Néné, Irmgard, Temperance, Coire, Grianán...”

“Thin ice,” he warned her.

“With your father around, you might want to let out some steam, Luçien.” Her smile widened. “See you in the training salle after dinner.”

21. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    but you are not in any kind of trouble are you?”

hahahahahaha for once, no :p

“It is my policy to date only non-Force users my own age.”

That is a good policy to have

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  22. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    No problems[face_dancing] and nice to see grandfather.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  23. DarthUncle

DarthUncle Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 20, 2005
    Have some time in attempt to postpone having seen final(?) Game of thrones episode of season 3; so came here to read about other fire breathers. Dawn dangerously cute is interesting. Like how you describe her sisters. And good they get to meet their grandfather more often; wonder if they helped little dawn succeed in getting him there ;-/

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  24. Tyranus230

Feb 16, 2005
    Good to see they get time with grandfather.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  25. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    Thanks for all the comments and reactions to my story, but I am in Germany at present and rather busy.

@Lady_Misty, earlybird-obi-wan, SWpants, DarthUncle, Tyranus230, Gkilkenny, I am grateful that you all stick to this story here and always find some nice lines about it.

Here is the first bit of the next chapter:

Chapter 48: Star Wars

Over the next five years, Dealg stayed at Dún Barr. His room was next to ours, but he hardly used it. The West Tower was his favourite spot, especially on starry nights.

“Stars are distant suns,” I heard him explain to the twins on the eve of midwinter.

Faith and Hope were dressed in their thickest winter cloaks, mittens, scarves and woolen caps. It was so cold that their breath froze in front of them, clattering down as ice crystals. Yet neither Luçien nor I could lure them back into the midst of the celebrations going on inside. They preferred staying out in the bitter-cold and listening to their beloved grandfather.

“Why do they look like points of light?” asked Hope.

“Suns are giant balls of hot gas and because they are so far away, they seem like shiny points to you.”

Faith posed the next question. “Can suns die?”

“Of course they can. Suns are like people. They are born into this universe, live long lives of duty, change as they age and finally they die.”

Luçien nudged me back inside. When we were on the tower´s staircase he said, “Let them have their astronomy sessions with him. He will take care that they do not freeze themselves to death up there.”

“He will break their hearts if he ever chooses to leave the castle,” I muttered while we descended the steps.

“Our wonderful daughters know that he is a restless wanderer. They would come to accept such a decision. Believe me.”

In time, Dealg did not only teach Dawn to control her pyrokenetical skills, but also gave other Force users precious advice, myself included.

“To me, the Force is a neutral entity, Grianán,” he said to me one evening as we strolled through the castle´s fruit orchard.

“So you mean it has no light side or dark side,” I concluded.

“Oh, I do not deny the existence either, but it is my belief that the light and dark come from within a Force user rather than from the Force itself.”

I reached out for the branch of a cherry tree, which was now in full bloom. The snow-white blossoms tickled in my nose. “Èleos believes that the Force is inherently good.”

“I hope that he takes the threat of the dark side seriously.”

“With our family history, he does.” I inhaled the fragrant scent of the flowers. “In the end, he is more a proponent of the Living Force. He likes to remain focused on the moment and allow his instincts to take over.”

“A being can run in the danger of getting lost in the eternity of the Unifying Force.” Dealg looked thoughtful. “I fear that I have that tendency.”

I said nothing.

“Did I ever thank you though for keeping my son focused more on the present than on the past?”

That remark surprised me. “But there is no need...”

“Yes, there was a need,” Dealg interrupted me. “And you helped him, gave him roots, and, eventually, a real future.”

We remained in the orchard until dusk. Then the twins came to fetch us for dinner.

“Norn made her famous elk stew,” they called. “You should not miss that, Grandfather.”

(To be continued!)