main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Anyone else feeling uneasy about the possible spin off films?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by DarthTunick , May 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Films generally don't make me feel "uneasy". Getting a bad quart of General Tso's Kitten or playing a drinking game with ipecac, possibly... but never films.

2. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Anakin: He didn't inform the Jedi Council? That's unusual, isn't it?
    Obi-Wan: All of this is unusual, and it's making me feel uneasy.

Krueger likes this.
  3. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Now we know what one of the spin-offs is going to be about: Obiwan and Anakin disagree over the Chancellor's motives and it tears their friendship apart. Now, I'm excited for these films!

4. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    The only thing we know about the spinoffs is that one of them is being written by Lawrence Kasdan. You may have heard of him. Does his involvement make me feel uneasy? Why no, it doesn't. For all we know the spinoffs will be the best films in the bunch.

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I had not heard this. Definitely not "uneasy" now.

I've not thought much about the spin offs beyond "I'll see them if they focus on this character, definitely not if they focus on that one."

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  6. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Pretty much this. I agree with whoever said that they'd rather see a live-action series, but I don't see why I'd feel "uneasy" about the spinoffs. I'm not expecting something like the Marvel films where they're closely tied together, so it's not like I'd have to see them if I don't want to.

7. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Here ya go. http://herocomplex.latimes.com/movi...-kasdan-wants-spinoff-film-to-start-fresh/#/0

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  8. GoJohnnyGo

GoJohnnyGo Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 19, 2012
    I'm one who does not believe Michael Jordan tarnished his legacy with his multiple returns to the NBA. He will always be the best IMO. That being, I do not feel the spinoffs, or pre-quals or sequals diminish the greatness of the OT.... I am not worried, looking forward to them!

9. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    I wonder if Kasdan would do a spinoff set during the time of the Sith Empire... or the Mandalorian Wars. Like, a thousand years before the TPM - RoTJ era that all movies, cartoons etc. so far have focused on.

10. GoJohnnyGo

GoJohnnyGo Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 19, 2012
    Are we even certain the spinoffs will be bases on known characters? Any chance they'll be all new?

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  11. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    We're not certain of anything. Sure there's a chance.

12. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Disney could always surprise us and do a film about Hoojibs.

13. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Seriously? An appearance of Hoojibs would be pretty cool. They'd also make good kids toys.

14. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I'm not uneasy about the spin-offs at all. I'm really excited to hear what they're about and to see what kind of talent they bring in like who the directors are going to be. I'm obviously very positive about Lawrence Kasdan being involved and seeing what he can come up with. I love the idea that the Star Wars universe can now be expanded on the big screen where it belongs. An Expanded Universe of films sounds like a dream to me. :D

Rabs and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  15. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
  16. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

Sure, but do we really need so many different kinds of Star Wars films? Just because there's a vast EU out there doesn't mean so many are worthy or interesting to warrant a feature film.

17. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    I wouldn't dismiss other formats that are not feature-length movies.
    I mentioned this before, but there is a steady rise in quality of web series/movies and TV movies. It is a more or less new format, which allows you to interact with a niche audience with products that would be of little interest to the "movie-going" audience. An online distributed hour long movie or a mini series of 5 episodes could address a much wider array of topics, while satisfying both the fan interests (for those who want to watch them) and not being in the spotlight all the time and diluting the SW franchise name.
    I think this is a very interesting area to explore in the future, as digital-only content of different length/format could be a good alternative to releasing a series of (possibly) ever declining feature-length expensive blockbuster spin offs.

Just a thought.

18. yggdrasil311

yggdrasil311 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 7, 2004
    THe only one I feel uneasy about is a Yoda film, a Chewie film, or a Palpatine film. I feel we got the perfect amount of them, no need for more.

I still want another Ewok Adventures film. WIcket rules.

Son of a Bith likes this.
  19. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    It looks like some people are worried the big screen versions of STAR WARS are going to be...like the books and video games versions of STAR WARS. With so many books and comic books and games from different authors, TV shows and TV movies, some of them haven't been great, and they jump around the timelines and rehash characters as well. Some are darker than others. Some stuff is sillier. Some toys are highly detailed. Other toys are bobbleheads. It's always happened with SW, just not in theaters yet.
    My perspective on all of this is to just not really care and just absorb it for sheer entertainment value, just like anything else. I experienced the first trilogy as a kid with toys and lunchboxes to want and anticipate, and the excitement of seeing the movies on HBO and put back in the theaters for local showings. I experienced the Prequel Trilogy as a story to ponder, speculating and anticipating. Now that's been done, and I don't really care where it all goes. I just want it to make STAR WARS sense, look and sound good, and be professionally well-done. Nothing is going to take away from how I perceive the other films, or my experiences with them. I want what I want with any other movie: something watchable that I will want to watch over and over again. I rarely get that anymore.

Rabs likes this.
  20. sethg

sethg Manager Emeritus star 2 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 2012
    these are my feelings as well. i went into pirates of the caribbean: on stranger tides hoping for a fresh take on the franchise and left feeling pretty underwhelmed, as well as disappointed with the tarnishing of that series.

21. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Not any less uneasy than I feel about everything.

22. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    The spin offs might be better than the actual trilogy.

I could see that happening with ease.

23. Darth Dominikkus

Darth Dominikkus Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2013
    Off topic but I love your signature:D To put out my opinion, I agree with you. I think the storyline should be established before spin offs are made. I want to see the story we have expanded into three more episodes.

24. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I never quite understood the love of a SW TV show over more SW movies, of any kind. While I love many TV minis and shows, SW on the small screen is just that.....small. Not saying it couldn't be good, but I love going to movies. Love it.

25. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    I was with ya until you said Palpatine. ;)

I'm just so damned fascinated with that guy.

Andy Wylde and Darth Chiznuk like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.