main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit GENERAL QUESTION THREAD (What to read? Where to start? What's canon? What's not? Duros, etc.)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jun 4, 2008.

1. ThatsNoPloKoon

ThatsNoPloKoon Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 24, 2013
    What's the general opinion on Dark Horse's Clone Wars stuff? Yay or Nay? Thinking about picking up the first omnibus along with the Infinities omnibus as well.

2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
  3. themetresgained

themetresgained Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2013
    I think you've made the same mistake that I did - getting in to the EU just as it's about to be nuked by the new films and basically setting yourself up for a whole lot of heartache when that happens. I felt really invested in those characters and my earlier posts in the EU/New Films thread in the other forum (spoilers abound for you) reflected that. And all my friends made fun of me.

alex feola and VanishingReality like this.
  4. Giovs

Giovs Jedi Master star 3

Apr 29, 2013
    I've been reading the EU for 3 and a half years I think, but i've always intended to get into it since I read Shadows of the Empire when I was little.
    So I invested some considerable time (and money) into it, and for me it was very worth it, because I enjoyed most of it.
    It's really sad that the prospect of new Star Wars movies can erase all of that for existence. I would love that the new trilogy would be set far ahead in the future in an unexplored timeline with all new characters, so it wouldn't contradict the Eu and I would be able to enjoy it fully. To much to hope for I guess, sometimes it's really hard to be a dedicated fan...

Well... what to do? I'll still read the rest of EU and try to enjoy it all the same.

5. credar

credar Jedi Master star 3

Sep 18, 2011

6. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Dark Horse's 2002-2005 Clone Wars arc was excellent, and well-received.

7. FatSmel

FatSmel Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 23, 2012
    It will for me. 2 universes, twice the fun.

Don't worry. It won't erase anything. They're not going to come marching into your house to burn your books.

8. Giovs

Giovs Jedi Master star 3

Apr 29, 2013
    Yeah, but they will probably stop publishing books set in the "old" EU universes.

themetresgained likes this.
  9. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    Got to get them before they're gone then.

10. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    I have a set called "The Dark Lord Trilogy" which contains LoE, ROTS, and DL:TRoDV. I was wondering, what others novels should I read (I'm new to Star Wars novels).

The main ones in my head were: Darth Plagueis, Splinter of the Mind's Eye, The Thrawn Trilogy, and the Dark Empire Trilogy.

11. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    The Dark Lord trilogy is actually a very good start. Plagueis might be a good follow-up for it, especially if you're into the Prequel era, and it's by the same author as LOE and Dark Lord. The Thrawn trilogy is generally the best place to start with the post-ROTJ EU.

Random Comments and Darth Dnej like this.
  12. themetresgained

Feb 23, 2013
    Dark Empire is allegedly terrible, but I highly recommend the Thrawn trilogy.

Random Comments and Darth Dnej like this.
  13. DarthDragon164

DarthDragon164 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    I'm not necessarily steering you away from it (It's a decent read), but I won't put too much emphasis on Splinter of the Mind's Eye. It's certainly significant if you're looking at the EU from an Out-of-Universe perspective, but the only significant parts of it story-wise are the first confrontation between Luke and Vader and some cringe-worthy parts between the former and Leia.

14. Rogue9-Horn

Rogue9-Horn Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2004
    Quick questions for everyone; I haven't read a single EU book in about 4 years, and I would like to get back into it. I could care less about the new movies, I'd just like to see what's been published since I was last reading. I've done the X-wing series, Black Fleet Crisis, Dark Nest, Shadow hunter, Darksaber, Jedi Academy/Correllian trilogy, I Jedi, and a bunch of other random "stand-alones". I haven't read NJO...I'm curious as to what is "New" out there (in the context of what I've read) that's worth reading? I prefer post-ROTJ stuff and really enjoyed stuff by KJA and Allston.

Thanks for any help guys!

15. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    The NJO is worth reading, all 19 books of it. The major series that come after it, Legacy of the Force and Fate of the Jedi, are not. Assuming that's an all-inclusive list of the EU you've read, Timothy Zahn's Thrawn Trilogy and Hand of Thrawn Duology are pretty major books that basically bookend the Bantam era of EU publishing. Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor by Matthew Stover is an excellent novel set about a year after ROTJ, although it's kind of a pseudo-sequel to the author's two prequel-era books, Shatterpoint and the Episode III novelization, both of which are just as good and definitely worth reading. That's about it for post-ROTJ stuff unless you like comics.

Rogue9-Horn and VanishingReality like this.
  16. Senator_Leia73

Senator_Leia73 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2003
    Hey guys, I have a quick question and this looks like the place to ask it. I have been wanting to read up on Mara Jade; she's always been a favorite of mine but what I know of her is unfortunately from what I've read in fan fiction from years ago. So I was looking at reading about her in the published works however I really don't know where to begin. I read a lot on the old republic but very very little on the events following episode VI, so I get rather overwhelmed when I look at the list of books available. So any help or guidance would be most appreciated.

Thanks!!!

alex feola and VanishingReality like this.
  17. _Catherine_

Jun 16, 2007
    You can't go wrong starting with the trilogy that introduced her: Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising, and The Last Command. After that, I'd say the biggest Mara stories are Allegiance, Choices of One, Mara Jade: By the Emperor's Hand (this is a comic), Specter of the Past, and Vision of the Future. She's also a major character throughout the NJO series.

18. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Don't forget Union (comic tpb). That's where she and Luke get married..

Senator_Leia73 likes this.
  19. Kenaabi

Kenaabi Jedi Youngling

May 29, 2013
    Does anybody know any good comics starring Obi-Wan? Sorry if there's already a thread, I'm very new to this forum.

20. themetresgained

Feb 23, 2013
    this is the perfect thread to ask such a question :)

21. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    There's not a whole lot. He features a bunch in the Republic comics, issue 50 and onward being the Clone Wars, but he's not the star. Some of his best storylines are featured in Clone Wars volumes five, six, and seven.

He also appears a bunch in the comics based off the recent series The Clone Wars. I haven't read those myself, so I can't speak on their quality, though others here may be able to.

And of course, welcome to the boards!

22. _Catherine_

Jun 16, 2007
    You might also try Qui-Gon & Obi-Wan: The Aurorient Express and Qui-Gon & Obi-Wan: Last Stand on Ord Mantell, both of which are collected in the Rise of the Sith Omnibus. I haven't read them so idk if they're any good though.

Oh, and issue 24 of Marvel Comics' Star Wars series is a flashback story about one of Obi-Wan's adventures during the Clone Wars. It came out twenty years before TPM so it's really the first prequel-era Obi-Wan story. It's collected in the first volume of the A Long Time Ago... Omnibuses but I wouldn't buy the whole book just for one issue.

23. Kenaabi

Kenaabi Jedi Youngling

May 29, 2013
    Thanks guys :)

24. Senator_Leia73

Senator_Leia73 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2003
    Thanks guys! I'm really excited about getting back into Star Wars books again. It's been a while and so your help def points me in the right direction. Thanks again!

_Catherine_ likes this.
  25. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    To elaborate on this, I'll specify that Obi-Wan has significant roles in the Republic storylines The Stark Hyperspace War, Honor and Duty, The Defense of Kamino, The New Face of War, Blast Radius, Forever Young, The Battle of Jabiim, Hate and Fear, No Man's Land, and The Dreadnaughts of Rendili. He also stars in the comic miniseries Obsession, which was collected with the Republic comics in the Clone Wars trade paperback series.

In addition to the Republic comics, there is also Jedi Council: Acts of War. It and Republic: The Stark Hyperspace War both feature Obi-Wan as Qui-Gon's padawan, as do the Qui-Gon & Obi-Wan comics Catherine cited (which I can vouch for -- Aurorient Express in particular is quite amusing). The rest all feature Obi-Wan as Anakin's master. I suppose I can also throw in the Jedi Quest comic, which is an adaptation of one of the Jedi Quest young adult books about Anakin's apprenticeship to Obi-Wan between Episodes I and II.

Kenaabi likes this.